Blue Line/Southwest Transitway

DavidW

I had to go look myself. Indeed the stops on the on- and off-ramps connecting the SW Transitway to Jubilee are back. I don't think they were there Friday morning when I went to work. They must have gone up during the day Friday.

My guess is local transit riders lobbied to get them back, complaining about the walk to Jubilee Station.

• 3 weeks later...

That stop is back, however the next stop announcement after Jubilee station is still Pembina at Calrossie. The Winnipeg Transit website still doesn't have a the stop there.

Someone did ring the bell after Jubilee Station, but got off at Calrossie.

The bus I was on yesterday (Thursday 10 September) still did not have announcements for the ramp stops. I was on 425 (D40LF). I don't really know anything about how the system works to propagate announcement changes. Do the onboard systems get updated data wirelessly when they're in the garage?

Or is it just another symptom of too many things to do and not enough staff to do them in a timely fashion?

The bus I was on yesterday (Thursday 10 September) still did not have announcements for the ramp stops. I was on 425 (D40LF). I don't really know anything about how the system works to propagate announcement changes. Do the onboard systems get updated data wirelessly when they're in the garage?

Or is it just another symptom of too many things to do and not enough staff to do them in a timely fashion?

they only get updated before the new change starts. and its only done i think the night before as u can only load one run in to the bus so i coul say load 160-1 in to bus 772 but can't laod 160-1 in to any more buses and so when changes happen it is done before the new change starts.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Prep for Southwest Transitway Corridor Phase 2 begins on Fort Garry campus

UM Today News

February 22, 2016

Beginning March 2016, the City of Winnipeg will begin the removal of designated trees in the Southwood Lands in preparation for construction of the Southwest Rapid Transitway Stage 2 project. [...] Signs indicating designated clearing will be posted at various locations along the right-of-way for the eventual route, including at the U of M: at SouthPark and Pembina in the Southwood Lands; along Markham where the future transitway will intersect with the roadway; and near Fairway Woods.

Here's my quick survey of transit-oriented-development (TOD) taking place alongside Phase I of the Southwest Transitway. Note that the Transitway opened in April of 2012 so it's taken four years for these first developments to start.

Harkness Station area

HarknessStation1.jpg

Three parcels of residential land have been cleared in the last couple of months, on both sides of Mayfair Avenue at Harkness Avenue, about one block north of Harkness Station. I haven't heard what is to be built but I would guess apartment condominiums. I don't know who the developer(s) is/are.

Osborne Station area

OsborneStation1.jpg

A commercial development, a five or six story office building, is under construction on a parcel on the north side of Jessie Avenue and the west side of Osborne Street, about a half-block north of Osborne Station. This project was announced several years ago but construction only began in the last couple of months. The developer is Imperial Properties.

Fort Rouge and Jubilee Stations area

Jubilee-FortRougeStations1.jpg

The large stretch of vacant land alongside the Transitway from Fort Rouge Station to Jubilee Station, formerly occupied by Canadian National's Fort Rouge Yards, was the chief opportunity for TOD with Phase I. Four years after the SWTC opened there are just two small developments underway. One is called "Parkline" and is near Fort Rouge Station, on the west side of Hugo Street both north and south of Morley Avenue. The developer is the Streetside division of Qualico.

The second is, I believe, called "The Yards at Fort Rouge" and their start is a single building on the south side of Rathgar Avenue opposite Jubilee Station. I believe the developer for this unit is Gem.

Gem is supposed to be the major developer for almost the whole stretch from just south of Qualico's property at Fort Rouge Station down to and including the area around Jubilee Station. As I understand it Gem built Jubilee Station as part of their obligations to develop the land. The area south of their small development on Rathgar (both sides of Station Place) is (or was) slated for high rises.

The slow pace (and small scale) of the TOD around Phase I is concerning. Part of the financing package was supposed to be new taxes from the new development, and four years in we're only now seeing any development at all.

• 1 month later...

Manitoba Hydro is well along in erecting new, single-post high voltage transmission poles along the Phase II right-of-way. Replacing the classic steel lattice towers with the new-style poles, and relocating the transmission line to one side of the right-of-way, is a major step in readying the path for the busway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2015 at 5:16 PM, DavidW said:

Shortlist of three qualifying consortia to build Phase II:

1. Plenary Roads Winnipeg – led by Plenary Group Canada, PCL Constructors Canada Inc., Alberta Highway Services Limited (a division of ColasCanada Inc).
  2. Red River Infrastructure Group – led by HOCHTIEF PPP Solutions North America Inc., Ledcor Infrastructure Investments Inc., Flatiron Constructors Canada Limited, Ledcor CMI Limited, Ledcor Alberta Limited, AECOM, McElhanney.
  3. WinnCity Transportation Partners – led by Aecon, Gracorp/Graham, BBGI.

And the Winner is Plenary Roads Winnipeg.

Plenary Roads Winnipeg chosen to build southwest transit corridor

Winnipeg Free Press

By: Aldo Santin

Posted: 05/13/2016 11:24 AM

Winnipeg city hall announced this morning that the Plenary Roads Winnipeg consortium beat out two other groups to construct the $587-million transit corridor and Pembina Highway Underpass project.

[...]

Construction is expected to begin later this summer, with completion by late 2019. The corridor is expected to go operational early 2020 following a testing period.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For those following the SW Transitway, the following has been in the news this week, the Manitoba Hydro right-of-way (where a long segment of the corridor is going to be constructed) is going to cost much more than originally anticipated:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/city-committee-extra-16m-manitoba-hydro-for-rapid-transit-corridor-1.3620913

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/transitway-hydro-epc-1.3622024

I know I am new here, but a little surprised that the hydro corridor issue with Winnipeg City Council didn't raise more "buzz" around here.  The debate yesterday at Council could have led to the cancellation of the entire project.  Wow!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, horseman said:

I know I am new here, but a little surprised that the hydro corridor issue with Winnipeg City Council didn't raise more "buzz" around here.  The debate yesterday at Council could have led to the cancellation of the entire project.  Wow!

My "rah, rah!" enthusiasm for the Southwest Transitway has kind of cooled over recent years.  The dogleg route, and whatever backroom dirty politics caused it to happen, underlines for me that it's not being done for the right reasons and that good public policy is not part of the equation.

Since it was first proposed in the mid 1970's the project has been killed and revived more times than a soap opera villain. That it could be killed again doesn't surprise me. There have been many, many stupid City Councils between then and now and there will be more. I was a high school student when this project was started.  I'm looking at maybe retiring from my job and living on my old age pension before it's completed.  That's a lot of angst and waiting for a flipping low-rent busway.

Now, different story for me if it was light rail...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Money behind Gem Equities asks another developer to finish Fort Rouge Yards
Sunstone now overseeing transit-oriented development now dubbed 'Jubilee Winnipeg'

By Bartley Kives,
CBC News
Posted: Aug 09, 2016 4:00 AM CT Last Updated: Aug 09, 2016 7:39 AM CT

After a series of delays, Holmes is out of the picture and Gem Equities' lender, First National Financial, has hired Winnipeg developer Sunstone to build the first condos at the site and rebrand the project as Jubilee Winnipeg

Speaking of TOD, the six-storey pre-fabricated office building is going up rather fast. Posts are already in for the final six floors - only a matter of time before the outer shell is complete, and until they work on the interior. I'm still annoyed that MoneyMart never sold off their little store right next door, and moved somewhere into the village so people may actually notice that it's there... that way, the office tower could've been alot bigger, and have the required footprint and base needed to support the higher density. 

Maybe when the Masonic Hall finally gets sold... :P

10 hours ago, armorand said:

Speaking of TOD, the six-storey pre-fabricated office building is going up rather fast. Posts are already in for the final six floors - only a matter of time before the outer shell is complete, and until they work on the interior. I'm still annoyed that MoneyMart never sold off their little store right next door, and moved somewhere into the village so people may actually notice that it's there... that way, the office tower could've been alot bigger, and have the required footprint and base needed to support the higher density. 

Maybe when the Masonic Hall finally gets sold... :P

My understanding is that development of the MoneyMart site is blocked by plans to redesign (and expand) confusion corner. More lanes for more traffic...

I also hear that the Masons talk a big plan of redeveloping their property to include one or more high-rise residential buildings. They've presented that plan several times in the last twenty years or so whenever someone has a different plan for their property, but they have never taken any steps to act on it.  There is some suspicion that the "plan" is a mirage, intended to inflate the value of the land whenever expropriation is discussed.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a walk around the Southwest Transitway construction today (Friday 26 August 2016).  Here are a few views:

Transitway_construction_near_Pembina+SouthPark-daw2016Aug26.jpg Construction near Pembina Highway and South Park Drive.

Transitway_construction_looking_north_from_Markham-daw2016Aug26.jpgView of Transitway north from Markham Road.

Transitway_construction_looking_south_from_Markham-daw2016Aug26.jpg View of Transitway south from Markham Road.

Transitway_construction_looking_northwest_from_IGF-daw2016Aug26.jpg View of Stadium rt station construction looking northwest from IGF.

Transitway_construction_looking_east_from_IGF-daw2016Aug26.jpg View to the east from IGF, showing the Transitway access to University Crescent.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...