Blue Line/Southwest Transitway

DavidW

The new Letellier tracks at Portage Junction (Parker Avenue) are now complete and in service. It was completed between Monday and Thursday.

46799508_1980495835332444_7722705236657176576_o.jpg

On 11/23/2018 at 11:32 AM, DavidW said:

Pembina Highway between Taylor and Jubilee will be closed from evening of Friday 07 December to the early morning of Monday 10 December 2018.

My guess is they will be demolishing the 1949 railway bridge. Progress.

I would agree, that is probably it, with the new Letellier tracks now finished and in service. I'm gonna miss that bridge. The videos (and pictures) I have of it will be a nice time capsule in the future, along with the old Letellier tracks. I'll definitely have to try to get some pictures, maybe video, of the demolition.

• 3 weeks later...

Newspaper stories about traffic congestion last weekend during the Pembina underpass closure. (It hardly merits reporting since it's very temporary.)

I'm feeling completely evil and thinking of commenting on the article by suggesting they open the Southwest Transitway between Jubilee and Warsaw for general traffic next weekend <evil grin>.  

(One of the perils of building busways is they look a lot like streets to most people).

13 hours ago, DavidW said:

Newspaper stories about traffic congestion last weekend during the Pembina underpass closure. (It hardly merits reporting since it's very temporary.)

I'm feeling completely evil and thinking of commenting on the article by suggesting they open the Southwest Transitway between Jubilee and Warsaw for general traffic next weekend <evil grin>.  

(One of the perils of building busways is they look a lot like streets to most people).

I was in the area during the 2nd full day of closure. Something that wasn't completely uncommon was people going through the closed area, including people playing "follow the leader" after a bus would go through.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I've heard, the project will be fully complete by November with testing and commissioning leading up to April 2020. To my understanding, they're basically redoing every single route in the South End to terminate at transitway stations, so I assume that process will take place between November and April, hence 'commissioning'. Still not clear if in-service buses will be traveling on the transitway before April.

1 hour ago, jhood135 said:

From what I've heard, the project will be fully complete by November with testing and commissioning leading up to April 2020. To my understanding, they're basically redoing every single route in the South End to terminate at transitway stations, so I assume that process will take place between November and April, hence 'commissioning'. Still not clear if in-service buses will be traveling on the transitway before April.

Does that mean that there still will be bus service to bridgwater Richmond west and south pointe from downtown or no ? 

I was very disappointed by today's open house. The information on display still said nothing about the transit service once Phase two is open.

I was shown (for about 60 seconds) a proposed route map for the southwest several months ago, with some proposed frequencies, but I wasn't allowed to copy it or write down any of the details.

I still have very low confidence in Transit Tom's plans. They still seem to see their transit service as a last-worst option for people who can't drive their car. Neither usefulness or convenience seem to be considerations, just cheapness and minimum service absolutely necessary.

I have to agree that the boards didn't present much new information, or any new information at all. What I did find informative was chatting with the transit engineers about what's going to happen. They're still figuring out how all the routes in the South End will run, and they didn't want to say too much since nothing has officially been released or confirmed. All they could promise was higher frequencies (no specifics given) and more direct routes to RT stations.

We are supposedly supposed to be getting the official route map for the Southwest in a few months, we just gotta wait around until that happens. We will only know for sure when that comes out.

12 hours ago, DavidW said:

I was very disappointed by today's open house. The information on display still said nothing about the transit service once Phase two is open.

I was shown (for about 60 seconds) a proposed route map for the southwest several months ago, with some proposed frequencies, but I wasn't allowed to copy it or write down any of the details.

I still have very low confidence in Transit Tom's plans. They still seem to see their transit service as a last-worst option for people who can't drive their car. Neither usefulness or convenience seem to be considerations, just cheapness and minimum service absolutely necessary.

I heard and spoke to a planner named Kevin who said the routes we kno today are all changing come phase 2 opening. And that we should expect the next open house in April will have route and other boards and that This  open house was for the  infrastructure  Open house did also gather that next  schedule change will have times tinkered with in east end and there using a program called run time   Analysis .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The route integration process has begun!

https://winnipegtransit.com/en/major-projects/rapid-transit/southwest-transitway/#tab-routes

What do you guys make of this? It’s very interesting that it’s being branded as a Blue Line, and only artic’s will run on it. The lowest midday frequency is down to every 40mins it appears, and many of these routes will run every 10mins during peak hours.

18 minutes ago, jhood135 said:

The route integration process has begun!

https://winnipegtransit.com/en/major-projects/rapid-transit/southwest-transitway/#tab-routes

What do you guys make of this? It’s very interesting that it’s being branded as a Blue Line, and only artic’s will run on it. The lowest midday frequency is down to every 40mins it appears, and many of these routes will run every 10mins during peak hours.

I like the idea just confused why there taking the 60 off graham. When I went to the open house the guy did tell me lots of feeders and now I get what he means 

• Like 1

Should the 66 Grant Bus be included as well? ?

2 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:
  • 662 – Fort Richmond
  • 663 – Bridgwater
  • 664 – Lindenwoods
  • 68 – Grosvenor
  • 668 – Grosvenor
  • 672 – South Pointe
  • 676 – Chancellor/River Road
  • 681 – Whyte Ridge
  • 684 – Wilkes
  • 685 – Osborne Village
  • 691 – St. Norbert
  • 694 – Whyte Ridge
  • 697 – Wildwood

Are those 6xx actual route numbers?

The new route plan looks excellent to me. The street layout makes a true grid network impossible, but this is a huge improvement over what's currently operating.

At the downtown end, moving the 66 (and 65) back onto Donald eliminates the 99, which is a good thing. I love the idea of extending the 160 north through the Exchange as well.

I do agree with Wpgtransit11-25 that moving the 60 from Graham down to York/St. Mary seems weird and inconvenient for most riders. If it has to be moved south of Graham, I'd rather see it on Broadway, which desperately needs improved transit service.