Blue Line/Southwest Transitway

DavidW

22 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

Does anyone know why the 677 goes to Kenaston Common? Seems kinda redundant, as if you want to get to BLUE from Kenaston Common you take the 642/650. If you want to get to IKEA you take the 74. Perhaps I’m missing something? I think it would make more sense and increase frequency if the rush hour route ended at Commerce Drive. 

This is interesting as I’ve seen some feedback from the public over the new routing system - what if you don’t want to go where Blue goes? What if you just wanted to get from the outlet mall to the shops at Kenaston common? I assume that’s why the routing exists, even if it’s only during peak. Even getting from Bridgewater to the businesses on Scurfield takes longer because there used to be a bus that would run right through there (the 86).Now you have to ride to Blue and take a total of 3 buses to get somewhere that takes less than 5 minutes to drive to. It’ll be interesting to see how those community-based trips are affected.

8 minutes ago, jhood135 said:

This is interesting as I’ve seen some feedback from the public over the new routing system - what if you don’t want to go where Blue goes? What if you just wanted to get from the outlet mall to the shops at Kenaston common? I assume that’s why the routing exists, even if it’s only during peak. Even getting from Bridgewater to the businesses on Scurfield takes longer because there used to be a bus that would run right through there (the 86).Now you have to ride to Blue and take a total of 3 buses to get somewhere that takes less than 5 minutes to drive to. It’ll be interesting to see how those community-based trips are affected.

I agree, cases like that are much less efficient now. But it could be done with the 676 and 74, avoiding taking 3 busses. Long term according to the draft TMP, I believe the 74 is supposed to be rerouted through Bridgwater (via Bison extended to Kenaston). 

Another little quirk I noticed is that because the 641/642 terminate at different stations. If you just want to get to Lindenwoods as fast as possible and don’t care if you have to walk a bit future you need to check your phone and plan whether to get off BLUE at Beaumont or Seel. I’m surprised they didn’t make both routes terminate at Seel. 

Overall though, I think the feeder network is much better than before.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

Another little quirk I noticed is that because the 641/642 terminate at different stations. If you just want to get to Lindenwoods as fast as possible and don’t care if you have to walk a bit future you need to check your phone and plan whether to get off BLUE at Beaumont or Seel. I’m surprised they didn’t make both routes terminate at Seel.

It’s a similar story with Whyte Ridge, where depending on where you want to go and how you want to get there, you have to decide whether you want to get off at Seel or Chevrier.

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

It’s a similar story with Whyte Ridge, where depending on where you want to go and how you want to get there, you have to decide whether you want to get off at Seel or Chevrier.

Yeah you're right. At least if you're going to Whyte Ridge in rush hour though you can get off at Seel and then pick between 650 and 691.

4 minutes ago, matt548 said:

what  happened to all the ex-OcTranspo D60LFs? are they retired or what?

I have noticed that they’ve been near-impossible to find outside of rush hour since the XD60s entered service. In fact, I haven’t ridden a D60LF since November.

32 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I have noticed that they’ve been near-impossible to find outside of rush hour since the XD60s entered service. In fact, I haven’t ridden a D60LF since November.

i would assume they  would be used exclusively on the  35 54 and 59 

12 hours ago, jhood135 said:

Here’s a link to the video I made today of the first bus going through Seel:

I stayed off to practice social distancing but I’m happy I got to be there and witness it! Maybe something can be arranged for a “first ride” after things cool down a little.

Great video and commentary. Thanks for sharing this and documenting the first BLUE Line runs. Kudos for making the decision to stay off the buses and keeping your distance. And thanks for addressing the transit supervisor - I noticed them in the video and was curious!

I noticed the street lighting "fully" came on at about 6:20 in your video as the bus came into the terminal. Is this a motion detection feature or just a coincidence that they came on? I noticed the lights stayed "half" off as it got brighter in the video.

It was my first time really looking at the Winnipeg Southwest Transitway - very nice station infrastructure!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, A. Wong said:

Great video and commentary. Thanks for sharing this and documenting the first BLUE Line runs. Kudos for making the decision to stay off the buses and keeping your distance. And thanks for addressing the transit supervisor - I noticed them in the video and was curious!

I noticed the street lighting "fully" came on at about 6:20 in your video as the bus came into the terminal. Is this a motion detection feature or just a coincidence that they came on? I noticed the lights stayed "half" off as it got brighter in the video.

It was my first time really looking at the Winnipeg Southwest Transitway - very nice station infrastructure!

I hadn't noticed that! Looks like it could be intentional.

https://www.winnipeg.ca/finance/findata/matmgt/documents/2014/201-2014_B/201-2014B_PA_Schedule_18_-_Technical_Requirements.pdf
(page 41 of 107)

image.thumb.png.71328590759fc728a89997cb20c5da0d.png

Page 50 speaks more in general of the lighting rather than one station, but I don't see what they wouldn't implement it throughout. Plus the tunnel near Osborne already apparently has some really fancy lighting.

2 hours ago, matt548 said:

i would assume they  would be used exclusively on the  35 54 and 59 

36 desperately needs them as well when classes are in session. The 40-footers on that route always carry a crushload past Corydon (and yet they still take on a pile more passengers at Grant - thank goodness that’s where I get off when I’m on there!) and even the 60-footers get pretty busy. Hopefully we order more soon. Looking at TransSee, it’s 40-footers only on 35, 54 and 59 this afternoon.

39 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

36 desperately needs them as well when classes are in session. The 40-footers on that route always carry a crushload past Corydon (and yet they still take on a pile more passengers at Grant - thank goodness that’s where I get off when I’m on there!) and even the 60-footers get pretty busy. Hopefully we order more soon. Looking at TransSee, it’s 40-footers only on 35, 54 and 59 this afternoon.

The answer is 971-990 is that they don’t got no shields and once they do get theee shields they will return to service 

27 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

The answer is 971-990 is that they don’t got no shields and once they do get theee shields they will return to service 

I’m guessing the D30LFs have gotten shields since I was last on one? Seeing as they’re still out and about?

16 minutes ago, MMP15 said:

image.thumb.png.03eb56f2215c7827ca5930ec50d72f83.png

Sigh... At least it comes every 10 minutes now. But how does a bus get 40 minutes behind in these conditions?

I remember in the fall, there was one 21 that could be counted on to be really late (half an hour even) every day. Unfortunately, that was the one I was counting on to get me to university classes. The one eleven minutes later did get me there on time, but it was cutting it close.

16 hours ago, jhood135 said:

Here’s a link to the video I made today of the first bus going through Seel:

I stayed off to practice social distancing but I’m happy I got to be there and witness it! Maybe something can be arranged for a “first ride” after things cool down a little.

I thought you were one of those CityNews people at first, seeing as they do their whole story process start to finish in the field. 😅

Pretty good video though! Can't blame you for choosing to not be on board, but seeing it go by is the next best thing.

The audio in mine is a little out of whack but it's rescuable with a bit of touchups (still gotta work on it). Plus those XD60s are generally a little quieter up front anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've watched Taylor's video a couple of hours ago, but I'll let him post the YouTube URL since its his video.

Once again, nice job guys.

I really wish that there would be a central large Station in St. Norbert, which would give it an "ours" (chez nous) space, something to identify St. Norbert with, like a community identity of sorts.

7 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

I've watched Taylor's video a couple of hours ago, but I'll let him post the YouTube URL since its his video.

Once again, nice job guys.

I really wish that there would be a central large Station in St. Norbert, which would give it an "ours" (chez nous) space, something to identify St. Norbert with, like a community identity of sorts.

There is reference to a st Norbert station. Is this still in the works or was it scrapped?

Also is it the city's responsibility or the developer's responsibility to connect Plaza Station to Bishop Grandin Crossing (Ballantrae Drive)? This was supposed to be a transit oriented development, however currently there is a big muddy field in between the Station and the development, there's a little stub of pavement coming from the Plaza Station AT path however it just kind of trails off into the abyss.

Observations - My first ride  on BLUE

Had my first ride on "phase 2" of the 'rt" this afternoon. Nothing special about it.

The bus I rode was 382, a good number to me, and starting at Balmoral Station.

The roadway at the very start of the new section from Pembina Underpass to Seel Station was very bumpy. Why? At a cost of $500 M I would have expected better/smoother riding.

Lots of areas to the sides of a few of the new stations that still as yet have to be landscaped with grass, trees, etc... What is taking them so long that this was not done on time? Contractors had the whole Summers of 2017, 2018, and 2019 to landscape the station areas!

Plaza Station would be the most useful to me IF I wanted to shop at Staples, Dollarama or if I were to stay at the Capri again (hope not!). Would have been real handy July-December 2018 when I was staying at the Capri Motel. However, saying that, there should be improved landscaping sidewalk wayfinding between Plaza Station and Pembina. I was unsure how I was to get from the Station platform to Pembina Hwy. streetside. And while its snowfree right now, I would hope that whomever owns the land just off the platform to that "improved" (new) sidewalk adjacent to the Chinese restaurant (thanks for making a nicer sidewalk for us!) would be cleared of snow and ice and be properly covered with sand or ice melt. I wouldn't want to be there in say in the Winter months with bags of groceries from Save-On Foods having to "run" for the BLUE bus.

Nice housing development around Chancellor Clarence Chevrier or whatever (too many 'C' Stations to remember!). Those people around those stations are lucky because they have such a short ways to reach the Station.

Unlike the last time I went there in Jan/February, there was indeed heat inside the University of Manitoba Station northbound, though I question why the auto doors on the shelter: why do they need to be overly difficult (heavy) to open without using the button?

At northbound Plaza and Pembina I waited for whatever came next, a 47 or a 60. A 47 Transcona arrived. Oh, and before it did I saw that there was still a paper schedule for the 162/170, a route which is now obsolete!

Related Transit routes

Stopped over at Winnipeg Sq. to do some banking. Next time I take a northbound 47 and take it to Winnipeg Sq. I have to remember to walk north after I get off at Pioneer (303 Main). Due to construction of 300 Main the corner entrance to the Square (Graham at Fort St.) is now closed tilll later this year or later and I had to walk to the Fort St. entrance instead. Will really miss the 47 and 160 taking me to Portage at Colony stop. Now I'll have to walk from Graham and Vaughan