Blue Line/Southwest Transitway

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here’s a link to the video I made today of the first bus going through Seel: I stayed off to practice social distancing but I’m happy I got to be there and witness it! Maybe something c

First proposed in the mid 1970's, and today opened for service. Just 45ish years from conception to birth. Bravo Winnipeg! I was in high school at the beginning, and now Shoppers gives me the Seniors'

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, BusRider said:

Had to do a quick swing by one of the stations... getting excited for tomorrow! 

Are you going to ride the first bus? I've had my alarms set for 2 or 3 weeks now, even if it means an hour long walk from home to Balmoral at 4:20ish in the morning. I've got my 7 day Peggo ready to go.

20200411_175616.thumb.jpg.10a1b9c3fddc744076ddc2fca836ffc9.jpg

32 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

My buddy is driving blue line but won’t be visiting for a few weeks as transit has said not to go for rides and no point in riding if I can’t talk to my buddy so I’m gonna stay home till covid is done 

Same here.

• Like 1

I wasn't thinking about showing initially but then I got myself an iPhone 11, so I figure I might as well put the first BLUE on 4K60 tape to St. Norbert then back to Jubilee (now that I have an easy out 5 minutes later on a 47). Then it's back to hunkering down.

In theory, maybe one or two people will be at the new stations at worst at that time. Going into a store would be way more hazardous as far as risk exposure goes even with active spraydowns and wipedowns.

5 hours ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I’m gonna stay home too. Even without COVID, I’m not an early riser.

Are the politicians gonna show up and perform an official ribbon cutting ceremony, Easter Sunday at 4h50 am or whenever this thing "officially" opens? I think they'll be all snug in their beds or else up early to start preparing for Easter Sunday dinner.

When the O-Train opened last September they did that sometime later in the day not sure when but it wasn't at 5 am, maybe at a more reasonable 10h30?

Tomorrows opening should be interesting - no riders, no celebrations, not even so much as a standing load of success... and with everything closed as well? Is there even an incentive to have this open?!?! 😂

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

We did it! With plenty of room for physical distancing all around too. Well worth the all-nighter. Certainly a day that won't be forgotten right next to the time that I decided to hike the AT path on Christmas Eve.

Overall the mood was pretty positive, if a little quiet (I kinda wanted to do a little woo the moment we crossed the SWRT2 boundary but refrained). There was a little bit of confusion here and there with a couple of riders about where they needed to go/get to (one of them had actual work to get to), but otherwise it was great. The operator was a pretty good sport about having the honors of the first BLUE too.

• Like 2

I notice there are running articulated buses on the new modified 60.

The Winnipeg Bus Live app has BLUE listed as route 0

Back with phase 1 opened up they had they had the official ribbon 'breaking' on the Thursday before opening. It was bus #146.

First proposed in the mid 1970's, and today opened for service. Just 45ish years from conception to birth. Bravo Winnipeg! I was in high school at the beginning, and now Shoppers gives me the Seniors' Discount on Thursdays!

Remarkably, it was proposed as a diesel bus busway from downtown to the University of Manitoba back in the 1970s, and in four and a half decades there's been zero technological change to the concept.  Sure, the route was made longer, twistier, and avoided most of the intermediate high-use corridor along Pembina Highway, but in 40+ years the idea was never altered. No low emission or zero emission vehicles. For all the lobbying and even several politicians' attempts to replace it with light rail, Winnipeg Transit never budged.

Congratulations Winnipeg! I can hear the narrator of the video of the Grand Opening... "Rapid Transit In The 1970s!"

On to Transcona! (Opening Easter Sunday 2061).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
12 minutes ago, DavidW said:

First proposed in the mid 1970's, and today opened for service. Just 45ish years from conception to birth. Bravo Winnipeg! I was in high school at the beginning, and now Shoppers gives me the Seniors' Discount on Thursdays!

Remarkably, it was proposed as a diesel bus busway from downtown to the University of Manitoba back in the 1970s, and in four and a half decades there's been zero technological change to the concept.  Sure, the route was made longer, twistier, and avoided most of the intermediate high-use corridor along Pembina Highway, but in 40+ years the idea was never altered. No low emission or zero emission vehicles. For all the lobbying and even several politicians' attempts to replace it with light rail, Winnipeg Transit never budged.

Congratulations Winnipeg! I can hear the narrator of the video of the Grand Opening... "Rapid Transit In The 1970s!"

On to Transcona! (Opening Easter Sunday 2061).

Ooooookay then.

The new City of Winnipeg Transportation Master Plan (currently in development) will almost certainly state that this kind of busway infrastructure (private road for buses with station-like stops) is too expensive for Winnipeg, and future "rapid transit" corridors will be developed more modestly, as bus-only lanes on existing streets, with curbside stops with the usual bus shelters. The Plan will be that the Southwest Transitway will be the first and last Winnipeg busway...

One step forward... two steps back.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DavidW said:

The new City of Winnipeg Transportation Master Plan (currently in development) will almost certainly state that this kind of busway infrastructure (private road for buses with station-like stops) is too expensive for Winnipeg, and future "rapid transit" corridors will be developed more modestly, as bus-only lanes on existing streets, with curbside stops with the usual bus shelters. The Plan will be that the Southwest Transitway will be the first and last Winnipeg busway...

One step forward... two steps back.

I have nothing against on street BRT given the proper priority signals... not saying that real rapid transit instead of glorified buses wouldn't be nice, but... it's a Winnipeg thing. 

• Like 1