Jump to content
DavidW

Blue Line/Southwest Transitway

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

Personally, I like the new routing of the 47. Currently if you want to get to Union Station or Forks from the northeast corner of the city, you have to transfer at Portage and Main or Pioneer and Main to continue south of Graham. With this new routing, you can go from KP to the Forks/Union Station with one bus.

Which is what some people had identified as a problem in Phase I of the Transit Master Plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

Personally, I like the new routing of the 47. Currently if you want to get to Union Station or Forks from the northeast corner of the city, you have to transfer at Portage and Main or Pioneer and Main to continue south of Graham. With this new routing, you can go from KP to the Forks/Union Station with one bus.

While I will agree that combining two routes to run straight down Main is a good idea, choosing the two that would inconvenience the most people is not. The 47 and especially the 160 draw large numbers of passengers headed to/from the Graham Transit Mall and U of W. Why not combine, let’s say, the 26 and the 68 instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would happily forego SWRT1 if it meant 47 could continue on Graham and absorb the regular 60 instead. Sure, crossing Pembina at Stafford from west to east is a bit of a PITA in comparison to the ease of the SWRT2 bridge or doing it the other way, but it's at least doable if you give yourself at least 3 minutes extra.

On the other hand I'm a little miffed that they didn't bother with stopping the new 47 at Lombard to preserve the Portage connection as it is currently with Colony. Yes, stopping at both McDermot and Lombard might be about as inefficient as Olive and Whytewold, but why not stop at Lombard instead since it'd go down to Pioneer anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few stops along eastbound Portage that they could probably do away with (Daer and Vernon come to mind as well as Olive). With regards to Lombard, the 47 isn’t the only one - there’s no connection between the 20 and the Portage routes until Polo, and there’s no connection between the 16, 18, 32, 44 or 45 and the Portage routes at all. All six of these routes do connect with the 11 at City Hall, but that’s no help when service to Portage West is handled by the 21 or 22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Mount Royal East could probably be moved further back a bit as well. It's not as ridiculous as Olive and Whytewold but I've had operators shoot right past it on a few occasions.

In fact, Mount Royal isn’t even announced until the bus reaches the Foodfare parking lot. With regards to drivers not stopping, I have observed that phenomenon as well. I wonder why Mount Royal East and those extra eastbound stops (Daer, Olive, Vernon) only exist in one direction. I also think Albany could be moved or removed. The current stop’s as close to Deer Lodge as Olive is to Whytewold and I’ve seen drivers blow past that one as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the new service under 2 weeks.


So far, they have only replaced the metal signs. Along with temporary notices for the old routes.

They haven't replaced the other 'plastic' signs at some of the major points. There is no new signage downtown.

There is no information for riders on routes that are totally being discontinued (eg 162, 76, 84).

What the new routes are (ie  672, BLUE)

No information on routes that are changing such as 78 (now going down University Cres) or 47 (not going down Graham)

I can see riders riding a 47 downtown and complaining to the driver that he's not going down Graham. Riders waiting downtown for a 47 that won't show up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, trebor204 said:

So far, they have only replaced the metal signs. Along with temporary notices for the old routes.

They haven't replaced the other 'plastic' signs at some of the major points. There is no new signage downtown.

I don't expect the plastic signs to be replaced, just have the new routes put onto them. After all, the Phase 2 BLUE stops have the same style. But that hasn't happened yet, last time I checked.

23 minutes ago, trebor204 said:

There is no information for riders on routes that are totally being discontinued (eg 162, 76, 84).

What the new routes are (ie  672, BLUE)

No information on routes that are changing such as 78 (now going down University Cres) or 47 (not going down Graham)

I can see riders riding a 47 downtown and complaining to the driver that he's not going down Graham. Riders waiting downtown for a 47 that won't show up.

https://winnipegtransit.com/en/service/blue-rapid-transit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, trebor204 said:

With the new service under 2 weeks.


So far, they have only replaced the metal signs. Along with temporary notices for the old routes.

They haven't replaced the other 'plastic' signs at some of the major points. There is no new signage downtown.

There is no information for riders on routes that are totally being discontinued (eg 162, 76, 84).

What the new routes are (ie  672, BLUE)

No information on routes that are changing such as 78 (now going down University Cres) or 47 (not going down Graham)

I can see riders riding a 47 downtown and complaining to the driver that he's not going down Graham. Riders waiting downtown for a 47 that won't show up.

Public Relations / Marketing & Communications101. Inform your customer of impending changes to service. LOL.

This is a PR disaster in the making. When can I close my eyes and wait until things calm down again?🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...