Blue Line/Southwest Transitway

DavidW

I kind of wish they would make some of the stations a bit more distinct... between Osborne and the U of M, using the SWBRT, it would be almost impossible to tell where you are on it. Minus automated announcements and Google Maps. When its built out further in the future, it will be easy to distinguish, but they could definitely try to do more of a PR campaign. For example, printing out and mailing brochures like this (saw this in the archives out West and best example i can think of):

20190821_112623.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I know that I was the last person in this thread but I noticed today that the stage 2 active transportation path has a connection now to the phase 1 path. Its located near where all buses currently exit the transitway. The overpass is looking more complete but not enough to start testing. I hope that Transit decides to widen the phase 1 path as I've noticed that the paths that have been built already for phase 2 are much wider and much clearer as to where cyclists and pedestrians are suppose to be.

On 6/2/2019 at 5:13 PM, DavidW said:

I wonder if the underpasses are high enough for double decker buses... now that New Flyer is the world's leading manufacturer of double-deckers. ?

NF is becoming more and more like AT&T. They are getting too large. Not good for new design ideas when a company gobbles up their competition.

Word from the Infrastructure and Public Works Committee meeting from last week is that Phase 2 will be delivered to the city in early October (2 months early) and will come in under budget, within the range of “tens of millions.” 

The official first day of operation was also announced as April 12, 2020. I hear this is due to the summer service change, to give Transit the opportunity to work out all the kinks of an all new model of transportation when fewer people rely on it (University students, really.)

• Like 1

Talked to a construction worker working on the active transportation path near Jubliee Station on Thursday and he said that the path should be open next week. Not sure if he meant just that segment connecting to phase 1 or he meant the entire path. I would think its the latter as most of the path has been completed for at least a month west of the Pembina Underpass including the connection to Waverly Street.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 4:31 PM, Viafreak said:

Talked to a construction worker working on the active transportation path near Jubliee Station on Thursday and he said that the path should be open next week. Not sure if he meant just that segment connecting to phase 1 or he meant the entire path. I would think its the latter as most of the path has been completed for at least a month west of the Pembina Underpass including the connection to Waverly Street.

Yes, the entire path is open now. 

Winnipeg Transit have started running buses along Phase 2 of Busway, at least 3 buses were being used on Friday.

Plaza Station

IMG_7331.jpg

IMG_7328.jpg

Bridge over tracks betwen Plaza and Chervier

IMG_7336.jpg

Chervier Station

IMG_7337.jpg

Artwork and Training Bus at Clarence Station

IMG_7338.jpg

Beaumont Station and Teapot

IMG_7345.jpg

IMG_7346.jpg

Training Bus at bridge over McGillvray

IMG_7352.jpg

Markham Station

IMG_7361.jpg

Traffic Lights along the bike path aside the Transitway.

IMG_7357.jpg

• Like 1

Something interesting I noticed today while biking along the transitway today is that chevrier and Clarence stations aren’t very far apart but the speed limit between them is still 80km/h, I don’t think buses will be reaching that speed before having to slow down so I don’t get why they decided to make 80km/h the speed limit. 
something else I noticed is that there was a random car parked on the transitway itself by Beaumont station and there was a supervisor called, maybe someone took a wrong turn or didn’t know they weren’t allowed to park there, with all the at grade intersections along the phase 2 transitway I wonder If there’s gonna be any wrong turns made by drivers given the absence of no turn signs at those intersections. 

11 hours ago, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

Something else I noticed is that there was a random car parked on the transitway itself by Beaumont station and there was a supervisor called, maybe someone took a wrong turn or didn’t know they weren’t allowed to park there, with all the at grade intersections along the phase 2 transitway I wonder If there’s gonna be any wrong turns made by drivers given the absence of no turn signs at those intersections. 

I'm sure they'll add some signage by next April. But I can think of Graham Ave. where 24 years later, out of towners or new drivers aren't aware that Graham is mainly buses only.

11 hours ago, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

Something interesting I noticed today while biking along the transitway today is that chevrier and Clarence stations aren’t very far apart but the speed limit between them is still 80km/h, I don’t think buses will be reaching that speed before having to slow down so I don’t get why they decided to make 80km/h the speed limit. 
something else I noticed is that there was a random car parked on the transitway itself by Beaumont station and there was a supervisor called, maybe someone took a wrong turn or didn’t know they weren’t allowed to park there, with all the at grade intersections along the phase 2 transitway I wonder If there’s gonna be any wrong turns made by drivers given the absence of no turn signs at those intersections. 

When I went down the Transitway on Friday, there was one vehicle that driving on the transitway (going South at Chancellor) that shouldn't belong, and one of Training Buses was honking at her to get off the roadway.

There are signs on Chervier Avenue directing traffic to go straight and only buses may turn.

• Like 1

While on the 160 Pembina Express today...

One day:

• Jubilee Station will move underground to Pembina @ Stafford and become Stafford Stn.
  • To get "across" (eastward) past Harkness Stn. and into Union Stn. is going to require going underground.

Who says 'rt' has to go overhead between Harkness and Union? WT knows this and so that is why they aren't planning a tunnel at Jubilee and haven't done any construction to get across Main St.

BTW, lots of long buses this afternoon on the 60 and 160. Rode 972 (rare to see) 160, 986 60. Saw 382 and 982. Saw another recent NF 3xx series behind another long bus on Pembina.

Really lots of 'em now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

ViewPdf.asp?SectionId=543100&isMobile=ye

Just saw on the city’s website all the new changes coming up for phase 2 brt opening cant wait 

Saw that too. Appreciate the effort of Transit to change the routings/frequencies of the feeder routes based on public feedback. One of the biggest changes that isn't actually part of the second phase of the Southwest Transitway but probably something to do with the Eastern Corridor is that Route 47 is combined with the current 160. So someone can get on at Regent and Plessis and get off at the U of M without transferring at the U of W (Balmoral Station) or Kildonan Place (KP). The reasoning behind this is to reduce capacity issues on the 75 which runs between U of M and KP but cuts through Windsor Park. I think this also affect the express routes connecting Transcona and U of W (42, 46, 48) and to a lesser degree the North Kildonan Expresses (40,41) which stop in front of the U of W. 

I was horrified by the proposed Winnipeg Transit system map of the future... 

But seeing this City Clerks document? I'm alot less pissed off. I'm actually amazed.

47 to U of M? That's not a bad idea, but theres two things: 47 would need either artics, or more buses. So where do the cuts come from...? Also, only every 30 minutes at night? On a 40-footer, that sounds like a disaster...

65/66 - yay, extra service. But reviving the old terminus... seriously?

Route 60 - with an extended 47, is Route 60 really necessary, past Windermere? I don't get that.

Route 74... its good Tuxedo has been cut, but how is the route STILL 70 minutes each way?! Oh right... it's the pointless looping! Cut the 74 looping, and make the feeders take care of it. Problem solved, and Kenaston transit goes beyond 10 km/h.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, armorand said:

65/66 - yay, extra service. But reviving the old terminus... seriously?

Route 60 - with an extended 47, is Route 60 really necessary, past Windermere? I don't get that.

65/66: This would make a lot more sense if it didn't make the jog on the transitway to Main and went up the Donald bridge to downtown instead. This was talked about for a while now to better utilize that bridge instead of having everything use Main.

60: Yes, the majority of riders who get on between Stafford and Osborne Junction do actually travel a large length of Pembina. Also if your destination is The Bay, Hydro Building, or even BellMTS Place, the 60 is your only option now.

• 1 month later...

Gotta say I'm loving how quickly the AT paths, even on SWRT2, get cleared at least rudimentarily after snowfalls. It's too bad that the station platform shelters are locked up good right now (I get why) because they'd still make reasonably good warming huts for those that need a bit of an intermission while out there during the past week and a half of -20C.

• Haha 1