Blue Line/Southwest Transitway

DavidW

Went for a walk along the Transitway project this weekend. The north entrance of the tunnel is coming along...

View from Warsaw Avenue.

Ah Yes, thank you for posting that! We need this thread very much! I noticed that they just paved the transitway from near Harkness down to near Osborne Station. The tunnel kinda reminds me of the Edmonton LRT construction.

Speaking of LRT, when and if Winnipeg decides to go LRT, I hope this tunnel would accommodate the size and mass of a running LRV!

Ah Yes, thank you for posting that! We need this thread very much! I noticed that they just paved the transitway from near Harkness down to near Osborne Station. The tunnel kinda reminds me of the Edmonton LRT construction.

Speaking of LRT, when and if Winnipeg decides to go LRT, I hope this tunnel would accommodate the size and mass of a running LRV!

Reportedly that was one of the conditions put on the project by Mayor Katz... that all of the right-of-way geometry (slopes, clearances, curves, etc...) be suitable for later conversion to light rail. I understand the stations were redesigned without bays (the busway doesn't get wider at the stations) also for future LRT use.

The following image of Osborne Station interior is from: http://myride.winnipegtransit.com/assets/2...on_Interior.pdf

Osborne_Station_interior2.jpg

Reportedly that was one of the conditions put on the project by Mayor Katz... that all of the right-of-way geometry (slopes, clearances, curves, etc...) be suitable for later conversion to light rail. I understand the stations were redesigned without bays (the busway doesn't get wider at the stations) also for future LRT use.

I hope it stays that way. Sometime in the future Winnipeg will need LRT.

• 3 weeks later...

Notes from a walking tour of the project on Saturday 05 June 2010.

1. Jubilee overpass reconstruction.

Project includes removal and reconstruction of the on/off ramps, and rehabilitation of the bridge over Pembina Highway. Reportedly the schedule for this project was advanced a few years because of the Transitway project. Bridge rehab. is well underway and the old ramps have all been removed. The only directly Transitway related part of the project is the reconfiguration of the intersection of the on/off ramps and Jubilee Avenue to permit buses to travel between the Transitway and the northbound lanes of Pembina Highway.

2. Transitway south section [Jubilee Avenue to Brandon Avenue] including station for Lord Roberts neighbourhood.

The stretch of the Transitway between the back of Fort Rouge Garage and Jubilee is the least advanced construction-wise. There are piles of earth at several locations along the route, and heavy equipment is at work at at least one location, probably doing storm sewer work. Not sure if the piled earth is to raise the busway a few feet above the surrounding area, or to construct a visual or sound barrier between the Transitway and the neighbourhood. Transit's on-line documentation says the location for the Lord Roberts station is not decided.

3. Railway Underpass (south portal) [brandon Avenue to CN tracks].

Project will also include Transitway access to Fort Rouge Transit Garage. This is perhaps the only part of the project not visible from public property, and is therefore difficult to report on. The site is visible from the back parking lot of the MTS call centre but even that is private property.

4. Railway Underpass (north portal) [CN tracks to Warsaw Avenue].

Visible from Warsaw Avenue east of Pembina Highway. Construction well advanced. The roadway into the tunnel is constructed. Retaining walls are being finished. The roof of the tunnel is being constructed. Presumably once the roof of this portion is built the CN tracks will be moved onto it and the construction of the south portal will begin.

5. Osborne Station and area [Warsaw Avenue to Corydon Avenue]

This Transitway station will be constructed parallel to and north of the railway tracks, over Osborne Street. No visible work has been started. Rumour is that construction starts in August.

6. Transitway north section [Corydon Avenue to Queen Elizabeth Way] including Harkness station.

Concrete paving looked complete from Corydon to Lagopoulos and half complete from there to Harkness. Curbing and catch basins were yet to be done. Retaining walls along CN tracks are installed. Roadbed from Harkness to QEW is gravelled. Harkness station exists only as a widening of the roadbed in the vicinity of Harkness (northbound platform will be east of Harkness, southbound will be west).

7. Transit Terminal [balmoral Street] (former Greyhound Bus Station)

Conversion of the closed Greyhound bus station on Balmoral Street next to the University of Winnipeg into a transit terminal. I did not visit this construction site on Saturday.

Some pictures related to the above observations.

1new_offrampJubileeOverpass-2010Jun05.jpg

2nearArgueSt-2010Jun05.jpg

2nearBrandonAv-2010Jun05.jpg

4NorthPortal-2010Jun05.jpg

6nearHarknessSt-2010May30.jpg

1new_offrampJubileeOverpass_2010Jun05.jpg

2nearArgueSt_2010Jun05.jpg

2nearBrandonAv_2010Jun05.jpg

4NorthPortal_2010Jun05.jpg

6nearHarknessSt_2010May30.jpg

Notes from a walking tour of the project on Saturday 05 June 2010.

1. Jubilee overpass reconstruction.

Project includes removal and reconstruction of the on/off ramps, and rehabilitation of the bridge over Pembina Highway. Reportedly the schedule for this project was advanced a few years because of the Transitway project. Bridge rehab. is well underway and the old ramps have all been removed. The only directly Transitway related part of the project is the reconfiguration of the intersection of the on/off ramps and Jubilee Avenue to permit buses to travel between the Transitway and the northbound lanes of Pembina Highway.

2. Transitway south section [Jubilee Avenue to Brandon Avenue] including station for Lord Roberts neighbourhood.

The stretch of the Transitway between the back of Fort Rouge Garage and Jubilee is the least advanced construction-wise. There are piles of earth at several locations along the route, and heavy equipment is at work at at least one location, probably doing storm sewer work. Not sure if the piled earth is to raise the busway a few feet above the surrounding area, or to construct a visual or sound barrier between the Transitway and the neighbourhood. Transit's on-line documentation says the location for the Lord Roberts station is not decided.

2 corrections. From the Transitway there will be an exit to southbound Pembina Hwy via the Jubilee overpass. At the intersection will be the entrance to the Transitway. The location of the Lord Roberts station has been picked as well, although not the final access configuration. Details are in the story boards from the April open house.

2 corrections. From the Transitway there will be an exit to southbound Pembina Hwy via the Jubilee overpass. At the intersection will be the entrance to the Transitway. The location of the Lord Roberts station has been picked as well, although not the final access configuration. Details are in the story boards from the April open house.

I was assuming that Transitway buses would also need to exit at Jubilee towards Taylor Avenue. I see looking at the diagram that doesn't seem to be provided for.

The Fort Rouge station is still marked undecided on this item: http://myride.winnipegtransit.com/assets/5...roject_Plan.pdf

Which location did they select?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

News Today about Phase 2 of the BRT. I'm glad she knows what she's doing rather than waiting around to see if LRT is good

Bus rapid transit a focus of Judy Wasylycia-Leis' green plan

Mayoral candidate Judy Wasylycia-Leis announces the details of her green plan.

Mayoral candidate Judy Wasylycia-Leis announces the details of her green plan.

Mayoral candidate Judy Wasylycia-Leis announced her green plan at a press conference on Friday morning.

Wasylycia-Leis outlined six different green issues that she would focus on as mayor.

If elected, Wasylycia-Leis promised that city hall will install bike racks to try to encourage people to ditch their cars. She plans to split the cost for the initiative with businesses.

Wasylycia-Leis said she is also planning to start a local food policy council, with a goal of increasing options for local producers and consumers. She also promised to establish a civic environment committee that would update the city's environmental action documents.

Community-driven green initiatives would be able to secure funding through a micro-grants program Wasylycia-Leis would establish, she said.

She also pledged to invest about $300,000 to preserve Winnipeg's elm trees and urban forest.

Wasylycia-Leis also promised that the first phase of construction of the bus rapid transit plan will be finished by the end of her first term, if she is elected.

Currently, the first phase is already under construction and according to Katz, it is already on track to be finished before the end of 2011.

"Under the former premier [Gary] Doer and yours truly, the first stage of [bus Rapid Transit] will be completed in November of 2011," he said. "It's on track and that's just a fact."

Wasylycia-Leis said she will also begin the second phase of bus rapid transit.

Mayor Sam Katz has said he wants to finish the project with light rail. However, he has not secured funding.

Phase one Appears to be said to be done by November of 2011... that's a good date.

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CT...ub=WinnipegHome

News Today about Phase 2 of the BRT. I'm glad she knows what she's doing rather than waiting around to see if LRT is good

It's about the only thing I like about her. A solid position on something it's known can get get funding. Not "I want to use BRT money for roads and find rapid transit funding elsewhere".

Phase one Appears to be said to be done by November of 2011... that's a good date.

Right on time for snow and winter. Going to be rough on all those foreign university students though changing a bunch of routes around 2 months into the school year.

Of note: construction of the RT tunnel under the CNR mainline appears to be about half done as a lot of the equipment was being moved the last couple of days from the west side to the east side of the tracks. Also, work on Osborne Station has begun. Not much to see though.

these would be nicer than the crap we have here .

How about these for the BRT???

========================================

This interesting concept of eco bus “Credo E-Bone” was designed by Hungarian designer Peter Simon. This zero-emission bus runs on hydrogen fuel cells and lithium batteries to add sustainability to the public transportation. Powered by four in-wheel electric motors “Credo E-Bone” carries its power sources on its roof. The shell of the bus has been made from lightweight composite plastic that resembles a skeleton structure. Such lightweight construction makes the concept energy-efficient. Hope soon such eco bus will be significant part in eco travel.

credo_01.jpg

credo_04.jpg

credo_11.jpg

credo_12.jpg

credo_13.jpg

How about these for the BRT???

========================================

This interesting concept of eco bus “Credo E-Bone” was designed by Hungarian designer Peter Simon. This zero-emission bus runs on hydrogen fuel cells and lithium batteries to add sustainability to the public transportation. Powered by four in-wheel electric motors “Credo E-Bone” carries its power sources on its roof. The shell of the bus has been made from lightweight composite plastic that resembles a skeleton structure. Such lightweight construction makes the concept energy-efficient. Hope soon such eco bus will be significant part in eco travel.

Holy @#%$! Uhmm... I sure hope they come up with something that actually looks like a normal bus. That is just... uhh.. just UGLY!

Now now... I wouldn't say that New Flyer is crap! I would actually endorse it for our new Busway project! :D

Some nice ol' Excelsior Artics would be mighty fine!

Yes i heartfuly agree! In my opinion Newflyer Excelsior is an amazing looking bus on the ouside and inside! Ever bus company has it's advantages

( a good quote somone told me) ^_^

Principal concrete work on the transitway between Brandon Avenue and Jubillee Avenue is complete. There are four expansion joints to do between Jubilee and Brandon, and the on/off ramps at Jubilee, to complete the roadway. I think there are also a number of sewer basins, as well as Fort Rouge Station to pour. The gravel subsurface for the Morley Avenue extension, the Fort Rouge Station bus loop, and a what I think is a car drop-off lane, are done.

Does anyone know. Will there be conventional street lamps installed along the transitway?

So what's the plan on keeping cars off this busway??? You see cars all the time on Graham, Vaughan and going into the bus bays at the shopping centres. Once you get onto the busway at either end will there be a way off or will you be able to go all the way to the other end? I can see a lot of people driving on it. Remember Winnipeg motorists are not exactly the smartest bunch

Does anyone know. Will there be conventional street lamps installed along the transitway?

No idea about the lighting. They have yet to do lighting along Donald St.

So what's the plan on keeping cars off this busway??? You see cars all the time on Graham, Vaughan and going into the bus bays at the shopping centres. Once you get onto the busway at either end will there be a way off or will you be able to go all the way to the other end? I can see a lot of people driving on it. Remember Winnipeg motorists are not exactly the smartest bunch

There's a plan? No way off between Harkness and Gertrude.