CapMetro (Austin, TX)

gilligfanboi

Lifelong Austinite here, but fairly new to the forum. Any other Austinites around, or just fans of CapMetro in general?

I remember seeing a document on the CapMetro website a few years ago that said they planned on having all the 1997 D30LFs retired by the end of 2010. As far as I can tell, they haven't made a sizable dent in that fleet, if any at all. I always see a lot of them at the yard off 183.

Once all 75 of those go...what are they going to replace them with? I'm not sure exactly what they have on order, but I certainly haven't heard anything about new 30-footers. Anyone have firm info on what they do have on order?

Looking further ahead, I'm wondering what vehicle(s) they'll select for MetroRapid service in the next couple of years. It would be cool if Austin finally got some artics.

Feel free to share any info you have on CapMetro!

I went to Austin back in 2008 and too pictures of these D30LFs along with the Gilligs, Optimas, and New Flyers in the Capital Metro fleet. I rode the it as well, very nice transit system, cheap to ride too!

Question, when are they suppose to open the Metrorail? I heard it was delay indefinitely, but much of the work is complete on it. What is the hold up on this rail system?

Question, when are they suppose to open the Metrorail? I heard it was delay indefinitely, but much of the work is complete on it. What is the hold up on this rail system?

MetroRail finally rolled out on March 22, 2010. It's been fairly smooth since then. The biggest problem was the crossing signals were not operating reliably during tests, so they had to re-do them somehow.

I 2nd mike from edmonton's comment about welcoming you aboard. Unfortunately, I'm not from Austin but I do welcome another Texan to this place.

Houston's my home, BTW.

Any new buses going to Austin?

Our newest batch is a mix of 2009 D35LFRs and D40LFRs. I don't know how many of each.

There was a post a while back about the differences between those and the small number of 2008 D40LFRs we got. For reference, here's one of the '08s:

4015532967_c968fdb84c_b.jpg

And one of the '09s:

4025226148_cd3dd4afa7_b.jpg

As you can see, the 2008 has the traditional LFR headlight arrangement, and bonded type windows. For 2009, they went to a revised headlight arrangement, which I'm told is meant to solve a problem with our bike racks getting in the way of the lights. They also reverted back to the old-style windows like we have on all of our 1997 and 2003 New Flyers. It's a shame..I like the bonded windows a lot better!

My biggest question is still whether they're in the process of retiring the 1997 D30LFs, and what will replace them.

I really like that colour scheme, a great shade of green, white graphics, well done!

They do half the local buses in that green, and the other half in a dark blue:

3512331878_c68e417f8d_b.jpg

3512332414_766472c512_b.jpg

They're basically the colors pulled from the cheat lines in the old scheme:

4013630430_86ce8c86c9_b.jpg

Express buses and trains are red:

2955638691_ebf0821447_b.jpg

And when they're not wrapped, hybrids are teal:

2914796181_2d243a5c64_o.jpg

Of course, there are also a handful of bizarre exceptions to the rules...

Our newest batch is a mix of 2009 D35LFRs and D40LFRs. I don't know how many of each.

There was a post a while back about the differences between those and the small number of 2008 D40LFRs we got. For reference, here's one of the '08s:

4015532967_c968fdb84c_b.jpg

And one of the '09s:

4025226148_cd3dd4afa7_b.jpg

As you can see, the 2008 has the traditional LFR headlight arrangement, and bonded type windows. For 2009, they went to a revised headlight arrangement, which I'm told is meant to solve a problem with our bike racks getting in the way of the lights. They also reverted back to the old-style windows like we have on all of our 1997 and 2003 New Flyers. It's a shame..I like the bonded windows a lot better!

My biggest question is still whether they're in the process of retiring the 1997 D30LFs, and what will replace them.

If they are indeed retiring the D30LF's, there're 4 possibilities for them (ranking from the most to least likely):

1. Use their recent deliveries of D35LFR's on the 30-footer routes.

2. Order D30LFR's (Benefit: Standard fixed-route, non-express fleet more towards New Flyer. Drawback: D30LFR is an 1-door bus)

3. Purchase 30ft. Gillig Low Floor's (Benefit: Parts commonality with existing Gillig LF's and a 2-door bus. Drawback: Impede fleet standardization)

4. Get Optima Opus Under-30ft's (They already run Opus Under 35ft's)

Here's my two cents.

If they are indeed retiring the D30LF's, there're 4 possibilities for them (ranking from the most to least likely):

1. Use their recent deliveries of D35LFR's on the 30-footer routes.

That would make sense, especially given how much Austin has grown since 1997. It is entirely possible that there aren't enough low capacity routes anymore to make owning that subfleet worthwhile. Plus, I've seen D35LFs on a lot of the routes that usually get the D30LFs, so it's obviously not a length issue. I believe I read, though, that only seven of the recent deliveries were 35-footers. The rest were all 40-foot. Take that for what it's worth.

2. Order D30LFR's (Benefit: Standard fixed-route, non-express fleet more towards New Flyer. Drawback: D30LFR is an 1-door bus)

Not sure what to say about this option. On the one hand you would assume that if they wanted D30LFRs, they would have ordered them when they ordered the 35s and 40s. On the other hand, who knows?

3. Purchase 30ft. Gillig Low Floor's (Benefit: Parts commonality with existing Gillig LF's and a 2-door bus. Drawback: Impede fleet standardization)

I'm going to say no on this one. Your point about fleet standardization is well taken. Plus, CapMetro and Gillig have been at odds for 5 years over who's at fault for four Gillig low-floors that caught fire during revenue operation. CapMetro says it's a Gillig design flaw. Gillig says CapMetro was mis-handling maintenance. I think it would take a miracle to see another Cap Metro Gillig order in the near future.

Perhaps, although now that MetroRail is up and running, it seems like most of the Optimas are confined to downtown circulator service. If they're happy with the Optimas, perhaps it could happen. Does anyone know if they're as robust as a D30LF? Durable?

Welcome to the board :lol: I do remember MetroBus had posted photos and video of a NovaBus LFX demonstrator unit being evaluated, perhaps for rapid service. For the D30LF replacements they could just replace them with larger buses as Dayton RTA is doing. They could also cutawayize. A D30LF probably has around the same seating capacity as a larger low floor cutaway, hence they could update the fleet on the cheap.

I don't think the Optima Opus is offered by NABI anymore so i'd rule that one out. The other scenarios all seem likely.

Welcome to the board :lol: I do remember MetroBus had posted photos and video of a NovaBus LFX demonstrator unit being evaluated, perhaps for rapid service. For the D30LF replacements they could just replace them with larger buses as Dayton RTA is doing. They could also cutawayize. A D30LF probably has around the same seating capacity as a larger low floor cutaway, hence they could update the fleet on the cheap.

I don't think the Optima Opus is offered by NABI anymore so i'd rule that one out. The other scenarios all seem likely.

Sorry, but where's the proof that the Opus is discontinued? If true, then:

1. Has NABI indeed consolidated its under 40ft. heavy-duty bus offerings to its 35/31-LFW line?

2. Does the Pueblo Transit get the last Opus ever built in 2009?

Thanks!

Sorry, but where's the proof that the Opus is discontinued?

Thanks!

Don't have much to offer on that one, but I would note that NABI has never bothered completing the "under construction" Optima portion of their website. It's been like that for months and months.

Since you are from Austin... Do you know anything about some Eagles CapMetro supposedly had in commuter service in the 1990's? Ran across a reference from late 90's, but no details...

Andre

If those existed, they definitely escaped my notice. To be fair, though, I was pretty young in the 1990s.

The route structure was a lot different (read: more limited) back then. CapMetro had what I always assumed was a small number of suburban-configured 40-foot Gillig Phantoms. Not sure what year they went into service, but I know it was 1989 or earlier. They stuck around until at least 2001. Those were the only commuter-type vehicles I can remember seeing back then.

The Gillig suburbans were replaced by a fleet of about 30 Gillig Advantage suburbans in 2000. Now we have D4500s, as well.

I'll have to ask MetroBus about the Eagles. He would probably know.

Those Austin New Flyer LFRs are hot to death! And I love how they spell out CAPITAL METROPOLITAN TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY along the rooflines of the bus...much akin to most railroads back in the day (my fondest memories include Metro-North Railroad up here in New York and the words METROPOLITAN TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY above the windows of the M1-6 cars)...

http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?s=&showt...st&p=408757

I believe the third photo is the new DE40LFR's for Austin. These are pics from New Flyer Industries in Winnipeg and are brought to you by BusRider.

Note the new roofline

That DE40LFR is actually for San Antonio's 'VIA' Transit Service. If you search "VIA bus" on flickr, a few pics of the new LFRs will come up. They were taken by someone in San Antonio.

That DE40LFR is actually for San Antonio's 'VIA' Transit Service. If you search "VIA bus" on flickr, a few pics of the new LFRs will come up. They were taken by someone in San Antonio.

Whoops!!! My Bad!! I just saw the green paint and I thought it was for Austin. Sorry about that! :P

Admins... wanna delete my post please?

Those Austin New Flyer LFRs are hot to death! And I love how they spell out CAPITAL METROPOLITAN TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY along the rooflines of the bus...

They started that with our 2003 batch of D35LFs. Those buses were delivered with nothing but a solid white paint job, and then given a minimal decal treatment with just the roofline writing and a logo under the driver's window about a year later.

2955638725_3178999587_b.jpg

I've always figured they were supposed to get the old CapMetro blue and green cheat lines and other decals once they got here (that was the current scheme at the time). Here's a '97 D35LF in that old scheme:

3552708345_2cd86d2407_b.jpg

Looking through Flickr, I noticed VIA is getting CNG NABI LFWs.

4409272029_23e4b63cfb_o.jpg

Seems like an odd time for them to adopt CNG, especially when it appears to be for such a small sub-fleet. They were an all-diesel fleet up until now. If they were maintaining CNG facilities, I wasn't aware of it.

Aside from that, I figured VIA had made the switch to New Flyer after their circa 2000 order of NABIs. They've been taking D40LFs and now the DE40LFRs for some time now. For a medium-sized agency, I don't understand how it's anything more than an added cost to be ordering NABIs and New Flyers using CNG and Diesel.

• 2 years later...