1996 Transit Centre Maps

Basically, proving I have no life, I used the internet archive site to look over schedules from December 1996 (just before Horizon 2000). Noticing that the buslink numbers were underneath the timing points, I figured it would be fun to take the maps of the transit centres and figure out where the old routes stopped. So, doing that, I have plotted December 1996 bus stop arrangments at Coliseum, Jasper Place, West Jasper Place (WEM) and Westmount so far. I'll try to do the rest of the transit centres as well, but I doubt Kaskitayo or Clareview will get done, as I don't have access to maps of their old locations.

Coliseum.JPG

Jasper_Place.JPG

West_Jasper_Place.JPG

Westmount.jpg

So, comments, questions, request, fears for my sanity?

Basically, proving I have no life, I used the internet archive site to look over schedules from December 1996 (just before Horizon 2000). Noticing that the buslink numbers were underneath the timing points, I figured it would be fun to take the maps of the transit centres and figure out where the old routes stopped. So, doing that, I have plotted December 1996 bus stop arrangments at Coliseum, Jasper Place, West Jasper Place (WEM) and Westmount so far. I'll try to do the rest of the transit centres as well, but I doubt Kaskitayo or Clareview will get done, as I don't have access to maps of their old locations.

You've lost your sanity like the rest of us. You're just in denial when it comes to taxi fanning, so you tried to convince yourself you didn't like taxis by working on a transit related project.

Now, errors on the Westmount map... St. Albert wasn't the 203 and it wasn't Peter Hemmingway back then. :)

Kaskitayo was similar to Lakewood, give to take a few bus bays. I have photos of Kaskitato... somewhere... ditto for Clareview... if those would help. Just don't hold your breathe. :P

I used the internet archive site to look over schedules from December 1996
And here I thought I was the only person that had done that :)

What I'd really like to see is a pre-Horizon 2000 system map. I don't think all of the old route maps are available through archive.org, unfortunately, but I'm sure someone here has that info sequestered away... :P

Does anyone have pictures of Clareview and Belvedere stations before they were renovated? I've been looking hard for those :)

Clareview, yes. Belvedere... not exactly. I believe the day I went out to take photos I don't believe the film was loaded right or something. It was more or less my first day taking photos way back in 1998.

I actually thought I posted some Clareview shots on here at some point.

As with any that requires digging through my collection, don't hold your breath waiting!

Found a picture of Edmonton's "Northland Rapid Transit" from 1930 lol

Wicked find!

I found some schedules from 2002 on archive.org... still searching, passing away the time :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20020803083052/...e_schedule.html

Have found two images on the net....

one is a map of the old Clareview Transit Centre from 2000...

the other is the old Clareview Station station being demolished, again in 2000.

2000trans_centre_clareview.gif2000oldclareviewdemolish.jpg

Clareview, yes. Belvedere... not exactly. I believe the day I went out to take photos I don't believe the film was loaded right or something. It was more or less my first day taking photos way back in 1998.

I actually thought I posted some Clareview shots on here at some point.

As with any that requires digging through my collection, don't hold your breath waiting!

Alright thanks Martin... I will continue looking for those somewhere here. Thank goodness that we use digital cameras now! The old film ones were a hassle! I seen some pics of yours on Barp with the LRT in the temporary and old stations.

-------------

Great finds into the old route systems! I'm am very curious to know how well the old one was compared to the ones after Horizon 2000. I find it very convenient how my home route 14 hasn't changed a bit before and after Horizon 2000! :)

Thank goodness that we use digital cameras now! The old film ones were a hassle!

Have you ever shot film? Yes they can be a hassle, but one actually needed skill to use them. None of this take twenty and hope one turns out like we do now :)

Have you ever shot film? Yes they can be a hassle, but one actually needed skill to use them. None of this take twenty and hope one turns out like we do now :)

Just a few months ago I was in a Photography class, and we ONLY used film. We had to shoot at the correct ISO, right type of lens size, shutter speed and everything. Additionally, we had to develop all our films into photos, and 50% of the time I failed at it! :P After that, I was like "I'm sticking to my Point and Shoot Camera from now on!"

Just a few months ago I was in a Photography class, and we ONLY used film. We had to shoot at the correct ISO, right type of lens size, shutter speed and everything. Additionally, we had to develop all our films into photos, and 50% of the time I failed at it! :P After that, I was like "I'm sticking to my Point and Shoot Camera from now on!"

Wow, nice to know they still teach that sort of thing!

While I do shoot mostly digital, film remains as a nice way to challenge oneself :)

Very nice work.
Just a few months ago I was in a Photography class, and we ONLY used film. We had to shoot at the correct ISO, right type of lens size, shutter speed and everything. Additionally, we had to develop all our films into photos, and 50% of the time I failed at it! :) After that, I was like "I'm sticking to my Point and Shoot Camera from now on!"
So are you better than me now? :P

What I'd really like to see is a pre-Horizon 2000 system map. I don't think all of the old route maps are available through archive.org, unfortunately, but I'm sure someone here has that info sequestered away..

I've got maps from 1982-1989 then it jumps a few.

Some lucky person will get this collection PLUS lots more in the filing cabinet.

maps.JPG

Great, and now that file won't fit back into the cabinet :)

I've got maps from 1982-1989 then it jumps a few.

Some lucky person will get this collection PLUS lots more in the filing cabinet.

Great, and now that file won't fit back into the cabinet :)

I can come collect them so that you don't have to put them back! :P

I can come collect them so that you don't have to put them back! :)

Well, they are kinda back...for now. Bus Facts, Fleet lists, Transit Topics publications from Greg Latham, creative marketing brochures,

Digital sign book out prioritization lists, an original set of book out sheets, the list goes on.

I will have my big Grab 'N' Go clearance this summer and everyone will have a crack at stuff.

heh, heh, heh...

Here's 3 shots I have found of some old locations in Edmonton

Sorry 'bout the quality, scans are from old 116 prints, dated from sometime after August 1975 and before 1977/1978 (note no games decals) and one from 1978 date range (note games decal)

Flyer 221 an August 1975 product (red datsun anyone)

Would that be the original Southgate?

• Board Admin

CCF Brill 144 (1947), note the rear of an AMC product and the usual Army & Navy ad on the rear of the bus

I was going to say... look at the age of those vehicles there! That's an AMC Pacer. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great finds into the old route systems! I'm am very curious to know how well the old one was compared to the ones after Horizon 2000. I find it very convenient how my home route 14 hasn't changed a bit before and after Horizon 2000! ;)

You know, I originally thought you were an all-out Winnipegger when I first joined this forum! Until I read this. :P