buswizard

Photography Pet Peeves

Theres a thread like this for transit, and everyday life. I think there should be one for photography too, since there are so many problems for some people in this awesome field hobby.

My top three:

1. People fussing/staring at me when I attempt to take a pic of a transit vehicle, and worse yet, when/if they react negatively...and my picture FAILS!!! Then I get fussed at for nothing!!

2. dirty windows...when I transitfan from inside the bus, either a foggy image comes up, or my autofocus will focus on the streaks and dust on the window.

3. And of course there is the widely hated peeve of people, cars, etc. getting in the way of my photo targets!

Taking a photo of something when there is something better behind me that I am not aware of.

Or taking a picture of something that isn't that great, looking at the photo on your LCD screen then watching from the corner of your eye as something SPECIAL drives past ;)

It's happened too many times to count :P

Chris Cassidy

• Like 1

Theres a thread like this for transit, and everyday life. I think there should be one for photography too, since there are so many problems for some people in this awesome field hobby.

My top three:

1. People fussing/staring at me when I attempt to take a pic of a transit vehicle, and worse yet, when/if they react negatively...and my picture FAILS!!! Then I get fussed at for nothing!!

2. dirty windows...when I transitfan from inside the bus, either a foggy image comes up, or my autofocus will focus on the streaks and dust on the window.

3. And of course there is the widely hated peeve of people, cars, etc. getting in the way of my photo targets!

If you’re going to enjoy this hobby, you probably need to learn to ignore people around you and just concentrate on getting the shot. It’s not always easy, but it can be done.

I don’t really bother with trying to shoot outside of a vehicle – the glass used in today’s transit vehicles is far from ideal even when its clean.

My big pet peeve is car and truck drivers ignoring stop signs and partially pulling out into an intersection and ruining the photo opportunity I just stood around and waited for.

You're taking a photo, and something comes into your way, often at the last minute, or often you're unaware of it at first, like my camera's strap in the way.

I think it's more specifically defined... the term "photobomb" seems to refer to situations where there is something in the photo that diverts attention from the intended subject, either deliberately or not. Anyone remember the story on the news about that couple in Banff who tried to take a timed self-portrait, but a squirrel stuck its head in front of the camera and the result was a massive close-up of the squirrel's face with the couple and the scenic background all blurred together in bokeh? That's a photobomb. A camera strap is definitely a diversion, but I think being photobombed is more specifically pertinent to humourous diversions. Like the movie poster in this image.

Like the movie poster in this image.

Um.. no, she still has all my attention. :(

But anyways, not being ready for a photo when something interesting comes along and when you see it, you're scrambling to get ready and more often than not, you've missed the chance for an optimal shot.

Setting up a shot that is perfectly lit by the sun, only to have a cloud blot it out just as the bus or train shows up. :lol:

That worked out in my favor once. I was trying to get a trolley coming through the 'China Gate' eastbound, but my only opportunity was after work. The perfect angle had the sun directly at me. With some shifting around I had the structure mostly blocking the sun, but then a nice, friendly cloud helped out and I got a great shot.

Geese and fowl suddenly appearing out of nowhere.

People who are oblivious to someone preparing to take a shot.

Jaywalkers.

- My camera's battery indicator. It constantly displays "full" until the battery's almost depleted. Then, it displays "low" and the battery will almost inevitably die within 30 minutes. I try to carry an extra fully charged battery with me whenever possible to prevent this situation, but unfortunately this can't always be done.

- My primary lens not autofocusing properly. I have a Sigma DC 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 lens that takes a bit longer to autofocus than is optimally convenient most of the time. So roughly one third of my photos, otherwise composed fine, come out incorrectly autofocused and I'm forced to discard them. I don't think it's a problem with my camera settings, as my other lenses' autofocus systems perform satisfactorily -- perhaps it's time to shop for a better lens.

- The aforementioned lens also has a polarizing filter on it that I haven't been able to remove since I attached it. Maybe that's the cause of my problems.

I don’t really bother with trying to shoot outside of a vehicle – the glass used in today’s transit vehicles is far from ideal even when its clean.

Agreed. Although the exception to this rule is Hong Kong's tramway system -- since HK's double decker trams don't have air conditioning, the windows are most always wide open, and sitting on the top deck elevated over traffic is a great way to photograph HK's buses and street life in general.

If you're shooting Nikon the 18-200mm VR blows away anything Sigma has.

As for the filter, it might be because the filter was attached wrong and the glass is on a slight angle, that could mess up the AF system.

Chris Cassidy

My photography pet peeves are:

• Stuff (cars, people, etc.) getting in my way.
  • The subject not being centered and / or cut off.
  • The flash accidentally going off.
  • Shots turning out blurry.
  • Getting confronted by rent-a-cops about non-existant photography laws.
  • Missing certain photo opportunities.
  • Batteries dying after just having been recharged for several hours.

And I guess that's about it.

If you're shooting Nikon the 18-200mm VR blows away anything Sigma has.

Unfortunately it's about $300 more :)

As for the filter, it might be because the filter was attached wrong and the glass is on a slight angle, that could mess up the AF system.

That's what I predicted. Fortunately, I managed to remove the filter with the help of some pliers today, and I'll have to see whether or not that makes a difference. The AF system seems to be operating a bit faster than before, so that's a good thing.

Unfortunately it's about $300 more :(

Yeah that's the downside.

That's what I predicted. Fortunately, I managed to remove the filter with the help of some pliers today, and I'll have to see whether or not that makes a difference. The AF system seems to be operating a bit faster than before, so that's a good thing.

Give it a few rounds of bus chasing and see how it works.

Chris Cassidy