Joint System Bus Purchase

MaT

The latest news I've heard is that DRT won't be getting the extra 6 buses, budget issues, this isn't definite though.

That puts a wrench into how many buses each system is getting. My driver-friend from last week mentioned to me that he was in conversation with the Operations Manager and has confirmed that we'll be getting 6 rather then 5.

York Region's getting 30, so that's 34 out of the entire 64 buses. We'll have to determine Barrie's as well as London Transit's involvement and their numbers soon.

The latest news I've heard is that DRT won't be getting the extra 6 buses, budget issues, this isn't definite though.

I would find that surprising, considering that that the operating and capital budgets are distinct. One of the operating budget overages was for maintenance expenses, and getting more new buses to replace old equipment would actually *improve* the budget situation there.

Also, the 2007 budget showed preliminary numbers of 38 refurbished and new/replaced buses in 2008, and so the extra six buses would presumably just be moving the extra six buses from 2008 to 2007.

Finally, the tender is for 64 buses, so *somebody* has to take those six buses as NFI will be expecting to be paid for them regardless. A contract is a contract at this point.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it just seems kind of strange.

No doubt in my mind that LTC would take the extra 6 buses if their budget allowed it. They want to destroy the CNG fleet ASAP.

Yes that makes sense, Kyle. Plus they already like the D40LF model. Why not continue?

I think I have the numbers right.

York Region Transit = 30

Durham Region Transit = 15

Burlington Transit = 6 (I'm still wondering if that's true)

Barrie Transit = 3

London Transit Commission = 10

All equalling 64 buses.

I would find that surprising, considering that that the operating and capital budgets are distinct. One of the operating budget overages was for maintenance expenses, and getting more new buses to replace old equipment would actually *improve* the budget situation there.

Also, the 2007 budget showed preliminary numbers of 38 refurbished and new/replaced buses in 2008, and so the extra six buses would presumably just be moving the extra six buses from 2008 to 2007.

Finally, the tender is for 64 buses, so *somebody* has to take those six buses as NFI will be expecting to be paid for them regardless. A contract is a contract at this point.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it just seems kind of strange.

I actually heard that from a reliable source at DRT, also the fact that yes, they won't be getting a used high floor as well probably means there is no money right now, someone had actually pointed out to me they are still recovering from the previous strike as well.

BTW, I've now received some DRT status report documents, and this is now confirmed. The same for the used high floor bus. It doesn't look to me like it has anything to do with the operational budget issues, though. It looks like they couldn't pull funding together to pay for these buses "in between" regional budgets (the opportunity came up after the 2007 budget was set, and they couldn't find the money elsewhere).

Note that DRT is projecting delivery of the 15 buses they are getting for mid-December.

Oh ya BTW London should be getting 12, so I think Nick your numbers are a bit off. Go back to the first or second page in this thread it says who was getting what at first before Windsor pulled out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seeing as information was noted about Hamilton perhaps participating in the Ontario Consortium for 2008 new bus purchases (see the "New HSR Buses" thread for details), that it may also allow other systems to join in for 2008. Would this allow Transit Windsor to jump in to let them to purchase 12 D40LF's for 2008? Just curious.

Seeing as information was noted about Hamilton perhaps participating in the Ontario Consortium for 2008 new bus purchases (see the "New HSR Buses" thread for details), that it may also allow other systems to join in for 2008. Would this allow Transit Windsor to jump in to let them to purchase 12 D40LF's for 2008? Just curious.

Been told TW wants to be on their own tender this time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The numbers thus far for which system would be getting how many buses. This contract also noted that the number of buses which will be delievered to these systems are between 65-78 buses.

HSR: 22

LTC: 12

YRT: 36

BaT: ?

BuT: ? (although as of now, it's 5)

DRT: ?

NBT: ?

Current number of buses would be 75, meaning only 3 buses between North Bay, Orilla, Barrie and Durham Region Transits. Something doesn't seem to add up. Does anyone else have updated information? I have a feeling that a system or two may have to drop out.

I have a feeling that a system or two may have to drop out.

Why? The joint process got a particular price because of a bulk order based on an estimated number of buses. If the additional buses not yet formally decided on take it above 75, I'm sure that New Flyer will be happy to get the business and will honour the price per bus for 75 buses at a higher number of buses.

This doesn't mean that some agencies won't go their own way this year.

BTW, DRT's long term capital plan calls for 20 buses to be ordered this year. They're finalizing the regional budget now, so we'll have to see if that is still the plan.

The numbers thus far for which system would be getting how many buses. This contract also noted that the number of buses which will be delievered to these systems are between 65-78 buses.

Does anyone else have updated information?

When I was in Orillia in September of 2007, they mentioned that they had plans to order two buses for 2008 as part of the consortium.

Kevin

hmm... i wonder who will bid for the 30ftrs...i bet the systems are a bit spooked from what happened to YRT's EZ rider earlier... NFI D30LFR? or VIING 30ftr???

Well that's pretty funny. D30LFRs don't have a rear door so they can not be purchased. I can't see LTC buying from Orion anytime soon ever since the absolute crap VIs.

Probably going to be Ez-Riders. Hopefully they have half a brain and will stay away from the crap Blue Bird ULFs.

Well that's pretty funny. D30LFRs don't have a rear door so they can not be purchased. I can't see LTC buying from Orion anytime soon ever since the absolute crap VIs.

Probably going to be Ez-Riders. Hopefully they have half a brain and will stay away from the crap Blue Bird ULFs.

I should just mention that NFI does not offer the Restyled option on the D30LF.

I should just mention that NFI does not offer the Restyled option on the D30LF.

They do offer the 30LFR. On their site there were pics of one. I'm not sure if it is still up, though. I'm sure if a TA would request a New Flyer series bus with the restyled design, they would eb able to get it.

Pending final budget approval, DRT is in for 14 buses - 12 as replacements and 2 for growth, specifically to allow improved rush hour service on 915 Taunton.

DRT's budget documents say that they should be able to do their retirements in June when school is out, so this implies that the new buses should be here by September.

EDIT: I should add that this is down from the 20 originally projected, but 2008 is going to be a dead year in terms of service improvements, and I guess they decided that they don't need growth buses this year. Assuming things don't change, they'll be getting 22 buses next year, 12 of which will be for growth.

Current numbers:

HSR: 22

YRT: 36

LTC: 12

DRT: 14

BuT: 5

Both North Bay and Barrie's numbers haven't be determined yet.

This would leave 91 buses, way over the contracted amount. I would suggest now seeing as another member pointed out that this option of the initial contract could allow for additional buses for these systems. We'll see. Plus, the numbers for Burlington or London may change, too.