Kamloops Transit

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Two new arrivals for Kamloops, 1144 and 1145. Not my photo. 

49702439_2240003616322349_845876216761155584_n.jpg

Very nice! 

Do we know if they have the same specs as the previous XN40?

Since 1144 and 1145 are in Kamloops do we know where 1140-1143 and 1146-1147 are going?

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Hey folks, when I lived in Kamloops five years ago, the Number 1 went to the airport a few times a day. What happened to that service? When was it cancelled? A bus stop is still visible in StreetView in 2014. I moved away in late 2015. 

It still goes to airport i think. Let me find my newest Jan schedule and I'll reply back

Edit: from September 1 2019 schedule and Jan 5 2020 they both don't show airport on them for the #1. Maybe the airport has a special bus going to Crestline?

I haven't been that direction of town for a while but it'll be handy to know!

5 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

Edit: from September 1 2019 schedule and Jan 5 2020 they both don't show airport on them for the #1.

All the bus stop signs and their poles have also been removed west of Crestline. If you do a StreetView time jump you can see a stop just west of Aviation way disappear between 2015 and 2018. It seems pretty silly to cut service to the airport. That being said, that was the time period in which Canadian North and others stopped serving Kamloops regularly. There was a period when there was only something like three flights a day into Kamloops from any direction, so it wouldn't surprise me if BC Transit considered the route pointless. I have an old Kamloops riders guide from 2014.

Only four buses a day called at YKA, at 0737, 0753, 1618, and 1648. I assume that at that time, those were the times when flights to Vancouver were at the airport, which would also double as "rush" peak times to provide service to what little else it served. The "Airport Extension" is marked on the rider's guide map and shows the route following Tranquille to the airport road and going to the terminal from there.

I'm actually pretty surprised to see how much service has changed in Kamloops since 2014, comparing the maps shows a lot of differences. Clearly a new planner came in. For instance, the 8 served Strathcona while the 4, 7, and nine all served Columbia. Now, only the 9 serves the Columbia and the 7 has split duty between per Sahali and Battle. The 8 doesn't exist any more. The four doesn't even go downtown any more, meaning that about half the people in Aberdeen either have to walk to catch the 7 or transfer at TRU to get downtown. Doesn't seem reasonable to me, personally. Any idea why such major routing changes took place? 

On 1/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, InfiNorth said:

All the bus stop signs and their poles have also been removed west of Crestline. If you do a StreetView time jump you can see a stop just west of Aviation way disappear between 2015 and 2018. It seems pretty silly to cut service to the airport. That being said, that was the time period in which Canadian North and others stopped serving Kamloops regularly. There was a period when there was only something like three flights a day into Kamloops from any direction, so it wouldn't surprise me if BC Transit considered the route pointless. I have an old Kamloops riders guide from 2014.

Only four buses a day called at YKA, at 0737, 0753, 1618, and 1648. I assume that at that time, those were the times when flights to Vancouver were at the airport, which would also double as "rush" peak times to provide service to what little else it served. The "Airport Extension" is marked on the rider's guide map and shows the route following Tranquille to the airport road and going to the terminal from there.

I'm actually pretty surprised to see how much service has changed in Kamloops since 2014, comparing the maps shows a lot of differences. Clearly a new planner came in. For instance, the 8 served Strathcona while the 4, 7, and nine all served Columbia. Now, only the 9 serves the Columbia and the 7 has split duty between per Sahali and Battle. The 8 doesn't exist any more. The four doesn't even go downtown any more, meaning that about half the people in Aberdeen either have to walk to catch the 7 or transfer at TRU to get downtown. Doesn't seem reasonable to me, personally. Any idea why such major routing changes took place? 

If I remember correctly the 8 long ago i believe went thru Strathcona, up behind Superstore, followed like the old 7 and the 9, but express downtown without going through TRU, both ways Strathcona. 

That i hope is mostly correct. I think it might have went like the 7 schedule is now. 

Why can't they do the 6a city loop via South Kamloops secondary school (SKSS), 6b city loop via sahali like a shoppers shuttle without going SKSS route? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to show an interesting photo I got back in 2015, of XN40 1055 parked behind Fishbowl 5610. This was the point when CNG was new to Kamloops, and this photo was taken only a month or two after it was delivered. I just think it's cool to have a photo of what was then Kamloops' newest transit technology contrasted by Kamloops' oldest bus (albeit not an operational one).

IMG_2296.JPG

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Okay looking at the 13 Yellowhead route (for the purposes of the "13 bus routes" thread), I noticed something very weird. In Rayleigh, in Streetview (dated July 2012) shows the bus stop signs being anything but BC Transit signs - they are none of the designs I've ever seen. They are small, white square signs with the words BUS STOP at the top, and green diamond at the bottom. Was the 13 Yellowhead originally a privately operated commuter service that was eventually absorbed by BC Transit?

Here is the streetview of one of these signs, many of them elsewhere on the route have lost their green tinting.

3 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

Okay looking at the 13 Yellowhead route (for the purposes of the "13 bus routes" thread), I noticed something very weird. In Rayleigh, in Streetview (dated July 2012) shows the bus stop signs being anything but BC Transit signs - they are none of the designs I've ever seen. They are small, white square signs with the words BUS STOP at the top, and green diamond at the bottom. Was the 13 Yellowhead originally a privately operated commuter service that was eventually absorbed by BC Transit?

Here is the streetview of one of these signs, many of them elsewhere on the route have lost their green tinting.

Maybe someone added a bus stop in front of their house? Lol. There used to be a bus stop on the #11 route in Victoria (near the Uplands I believe) where somebody added a home-made bus stop sign and expected buses to pick them up. I think transit took it down though.