GRT Retirements

Guest GRT Kid

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

COULD the retired buses be on a hook heading for magor refurbishment in missisauga at orion as they might be getting hight refurbishment with chair lifts and such like early lift equiped orion 5s in toronto might be hitting the scrapper but this is just a thought as the orion 5s and classics are slightly smaller then the longer orion lows and solid floors and novas making the O'5 perfect for feeder routes .. just my 2 cents

jeff

COULD the retired buses be on a hook heading for magor refurbishment in missisauga at orion as they might be getting hight refurbishment with chair lifts and such like early lift equiped orion 5s in toronto might be hitting the scrapper but this is just a thought as the orion 5s and classics are slightly smaller then the longer orion lows and solid floors and novas making the O'5 perfect for feeder routes .. just my 2 cents

jeff

No. Given the age and condition of these retired buses it would be deemed a waste of money. No transit agency is going to buy a 21 year old bus this day in age.

• 2 weeks later...
Are the 9200s being retired any time soon? They all seem to stink horribly inside (of diesel fumes).

As long as the high floors remain in service, don't expect them to retire anytime soon.

Although this shipment of Novas might, in fact, wipe out the high floor fleet except maybe the 52x Vs.

As long as the high floors remain in service, don't expect them to retire anytime soon.

Although this shipment of Novas might, in fact, wipe out the high floor fleet except maybe the 52x Vs.

How many buses is GRT getting this year? I know they're getting the 18 they wanted but what about the additional 19 expansion buses?

And we can assume that the busses will all come from Nova?

Yes, because the Region entered into a 'contract" with Nova, to purchase buses from them exclusively, which I believe still has 1 or 2 years remaining on it. After that, with a predominately Nova fleet, I wouldn't be suprised to see it continue on again (because of "parts", etc.)

THEY should go to either orion or flyer for buses to make alternete buses as we all no the the feb snow of 08 had mostly novas stuck with the exception of a couple flyers and one cambridge solid floor orion(ironicly stuck in hespler on guelph av) and novas are not so good in deepening snow..of retirments the 500s mci classics and orionVs are less then 16 years old making them good candidates for getting chair lifts

Funny you say that, because the only buses I saw stuck in that snowstorm were Flyers and Orions. Best one was VII 2310 sliding down on the uphill near Grand River Hospital, with a first-gen Nova cruising past like it's a normal day!

(Oh SMS is gonna kill me for this... :unsure:)

THEY should go to either orion or flyer for buses to make alternete buses as we all no the the feb snow of 08 had mostly novas stuck with the exception of a couple flyers and one cambridge solid floor orion(ironicly stuck in hespler on guelph av) and novas are not so good in deepening snow..of retirments the 500s mci classics and orionVs are less then 16 years old making them good candidates for getting chair lifts

Even though GRT wants to start replacing buses after 12 years of service.... They are not going to retrofit the 500 series high floors with wheelchair lifts. If they wanted to go that route they would have done so when the buses were sent to be refurbished.

And for the record 520-522 are 22 years old (1989) 523-524 are 20 years (1991) 525 is 19 years (1992) and 526-529 are 17 years old (1994).