GRT Retirements

Guest GRT Kid

793 was suppose to be preserved. But with me watching that bus and how it just sits. I feel that it probably won't happen. Funds parts. Engine still works I do recall them moving it but sounded like it should just go to scrap. Or somewhere where it can be fixed up if funds work. It has a really bad ticking sound when they fired it up. It probably is the last D800B model in Ontario and if not probably the best condition. But I don't see them keeping it too much longer.

• 3 months later...

a driver friend who works out of the garage said its gone

Yeah I drove by the garage with a friend a couple nights ago, and the door on the far left of the new part was wide open, 793 was first in the lineup with newer buses sitting behind it. So I can tell you that it hasn't been sent for scrap quite yet. The 9400's I can believe are at the scrapyard, but 793 I can confirm is still at the garage awaiting probable scrapping.

• 2 weeks later...

793 is most definitely still at the Strasburg garage. It is parked in the new annex, northernmost lane, right up in front facing Chandler Dr. Whenever they open that door of the garage you can see it.

Also the 537 is still in service, I saw it on rte 12 yesterday on Blockline Rd during the afternoon.

I have no idea if 536 is still around.

This past Friday the 536 was running on the 6 & 20, and the 537 was on the 12. They are still being used to cover M-F peak service hours.

On the otherhand, it is confirmed 8530 & 8531 are retired. Both are currently at the Strasburg garage in the new extension. 8530 has been striped of radios, farebox, destination sign, etc; and the 8531 will soon be striped too.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Add 2202 and 2203 to the retired list. Both are in the new annex at Strasburg parked behind retired 2201 (extensive accident damage) with all GRT marking peeled off and fareboxes removed.

As far as I know; 2200, 2204, 2205, 2206 and 2207 are all still in service.