Leave By Rear Door

If no one is waiting at the stop to board, and the passenger walks up from the back of the bus, past the rear door, and exits out the front (because he/she can't read?) you think the driver is being an asshole just because the front doors are by the bus stop sign, or a garbage bin? Save a few steps and exit the rear, like the sign asks you to do. Nobody is being an assh*le here, in my opinion. (And I started this thread just in hopes of getting some ideas on how we, the drivers, can convince passengers to "exit the rear". Simple enough? I'm beginning to think not.)

Hmm. If people choose to walk to the front of the bus from the back to exit, then they are pushing it in my view. However, if you are sitting behind the driver or in the wheelchair area, then why would you leave by the rear door if the front is right there? Also, the majority of people that take transit (I find) really do not care if there are signs telling them what they should and should not do and in some cases (in this area) can not understand them anyway. I always try to exit out the back door. However, when standing due to a packed bus, I am not going to fight my way from the front to the back just to get off.

The other issue is that on newer models, the sensor that opperates the doors does not work properly. I've seen many people trying to exit the back doors helplessly waving or pushing at the doors. This needs to be addressed at GRT and fixed.

On this topic, I was sitting near the front last Thursday night on my way home (on the 12 to Fairview) and the driver was talking with an older gentleman about how he dislikes students and how they don't "leave by the back doors." If he wanted to bad mouth students, he should probably not do it on a bus packed full of students.

Also, the majority of people that take transit (I find) really do not care if there are signs telling them what they should and should not do and in some cases (in this area) can not understand them anyway.

Maybe GRT needs to put up signage in different languages! Could you imagine how big the sign would have to be, or how small the type would have to be!

Pick a language, any language ............... it's gotta be here! (Listed alphabetically, for your reading enjoyment.)

How do we say "University Signage?"

In all seriousness though, maybe they should look at signage in both official languages (English & French) as well as maybe Mandarin & Cantonese. (Ironically, I listed "Chinese", which IS NOT a "language" ................ the "language" is either Mandarin or Cantonese.)

Abenaki Afrikaans Ainu Aklanon Alabama Albanian Algerian Amharic Apache Arabic Aramaic Armenian ASL Avestan Ayapathu Aymara Azeri

Balinese Bamwe Bantu Basa Basque Belarusan Bemba Bengali Berber Bicol Bisaya Bobangi Brahui Breton Butuanon Bukusu Bulgarian Burmese

Cantonese Carib Catalan Catawba Cayuga Cebuano Chamorro Chechen Cherokee Chewa Cheyenne Chinese Chinook Ch'ol Chorti Cispa Coptic Cree Creole Croatian Czech

Danish Delaware Demonh'ka Denya Duma Dutch

Eggon Ejagham Egyptian Ekegusii Emakua English Eskimo Esperanto Estonian Etruscan

Fang Faroese Farsi Finnish Flemish Frankish French Frisian Fulfulde

Gaelic Galician Gaulish Gamilaraay Ganda Gbari Georgian German Gevove Gilbertese Ginyama Gothic Greek Guarani Gujarati Gullah

Haida Hakka Hawaiian Hausa Hebrew Hiligaynon Hmong Hindi Hittite Holoholo Hungarian

Icelandic Igbo Ilongo Indoeuropean Indonesian Ingush Interlingua Inzebi Irish Ishkashmi Italian

Jangshung Japanese Jita

Kalanga Kannada Kapampangan Karelian Kamviri Karuk Katcha Kazakh Kerewe Khakas Khmer Khowar Kiga Kituba Klallam Klingon Konkani Kongo Korean Koromfé Koyo Kurdish

Lao Lakhota Latin Latvian Lingala Lithuanian Lojban Lozi Luwian Lycian Lydian

Macedonian Malagasy Malay Maliseet Malayalam Maltese Mambwe Manchu Mandinka Manx Maori Mapudungun Marathi Masaba Mayan Mayangna Mawu Miami • Michif Miskitu Mixtec Mohawk Mongolian Mpongwe

Nahuatl Nande Nanticoke Nauruan Navajo Ndebele Nepalese Newari Nhirrpi Norwegian Nyambo Nyamwezi

Occitan Ojibwe Olkola Olutec Onondaga Oriya Oscan Oykangand

Pahlavi Pakahn Pali Papiamento Pashto Pende Passam...dy Phoenician Phrygian Pidgin Pirahã Polish Popoluca Portuguese Potawatomi Prussian Pulaar Punjabi

Quechua Quenya

Rapa Nui Rasta Rejang Romanian Romany Romansh Roviana Rotuman Russian

Saanich Saami Samoan Sanskrit Sardinian Seneca Serbian Seri Sherpa Shi Shona Shoshoni Sign Sindarin Sinhalese Slovak Slovene Sogdian Somali Sorbian Spanish Sranan Sûdovian Sumerian Swabian Swahili Swedish

Tagalog Taiwanese Tamasheq Tahitian Taino Tamazight Tamil Tarahumara Tarok Tatar Telugu Tetun Thai Thracian Tibetan Tlingit Tocharian Tongan Turkish Turkmen Twi

Ukrainian Ulwa Umbrian Üqoi Urdu Uyghur Uzbek

Venda Veps Vietnamese Votic Vulcan

Wagiman Walloon Warlpiri Welsh Wolof Wyandot

Xhosa

Yaka Yao Yemba Yiddish Yoruba

Zarma Zoque Zulu

:P

Anyway, so about constructive solutions, if they can be found. I'm not sure about changing the "stop requested" signs, as that may cause confusion for infrequent riders. And static or predictable text signage can be easily ignored and forgotten about.

Arrow serve to direct our attention in a reasonably automatic way, and I think they should be effective in guiding people towards the back. I'm thinking a big (yellow?) arrow on the floor from the front doors to the middle of the bus, an unwelcoming red zone by the rear door, and another arrow from there to the back of the bus. People clustering in this middle section and not moving back is arguably a larger problem, and the arrows might help with that as well.

I think this should be proposed as a pilot project for the Region -- it can't cost too much to put it on several buses and monitor any differences in rider behaviour compared with other buses over a few months.

Anyway, so about constructive solutions, if they can be found. I'm not sure about changing the "stop requested" signs, as that may cause confusion for infrequent riders. And static or predictable text signage can be easily ignored and forgotten about.

Arrow serve to direct our attention in a reasonably automatic way, and I think they should be effective in guiding people towards the back. I'm thinking a big (yellow?) arrow on the floor from the front doors to the middle of the bus, an unwelcoming red zone by the rear door, and another arrow from there to the back of the bus. People clustering in this middle section and not moving back is arguably a larger problem, and the arrows might help with that as well.

I think this should be proposed as a pilot project for the Region -- it can't cost too much to put it on several buses and monitor any differences in rider behaviour compared with other buses over a few months.

I honestly don't think it would work, I am constantly asking customers to use the back door usually when there are people boarding the bus or it's cold outside, I wear shortsleeves year-round :P , or of there is a mobility device getting off at the stop, sometimes it works other people go out the front door anyway even to the point of stepping on the ramp when it was almost halfway out, and I got the dirty look thank-you very much. (it was not a student BTW)

Some people have just gotten to damn ignorant for thier own good and they carry around an incredible sence of entitlement that just astounds and boggles the mind. I would love to say that a few signs would change everything but it wont, the only thing that will change it is a united front of all transit drivers to start eforcing the rules, you know... leave by centre door, turn the music down, keep your feet off the seats, have proper fare ready, be at the centre door when the bus stops, I could go on and on but these things have been around for decades and the human race has gotten to the point where nobody really cares anymore unless it effects them personnaly. We care as drivers, some of us anyway, but for others its just a mild inconvenience and not worth saying anything for. Well I ask you this. When does the "mild inconvenience" become worth saying something about?

Very well said! I might have even been the driver who asked everyone to exit via the rear doors. See, it really does work! (And the driver is not on a power trip, as someone has indicated)

Yes it does really work. I just remembered (to bring back the OC Transpo point) that before when we didn't have people exiting at the front, we also didn't have that backlog of buses on Mackenzie King Bridge heading eastbound during PM Rush. Well we had a slight one, but it wasn't as bad as it is today. And back in 1997, we had way more buses going through there than we do today. Now they've imposed a 180 buses per hour limit on Albert and Slater (and Mack Bridge) because of the traffic. (That is scheduled bus limit, if buses are running late, the number could be higher or lower per hour)

The "sad but true" bottom line to all this is that people will leave by whatever door they want. I find it amusing (and annoying at the same time) that during peak time when you want them to exit the rear they come up to the front, and it wouldn't be so bad now that they have wider front doors if the people entering entered on their right, and the people leaving exited on their right. It works well the RARE time I've seen it go that way. But I digress the amusing annoying thing I refer to is, as I said leaving by the front during peak time, but later at night when you want them to exit the front door 'cause you have an Orion VII (for TTC the 7400s to 7800s in particular) with rear doors that take so long to close you loose the light your at!!

Well I ask you this. When does the "mild inconvenience" become worth saying something about?

When we're not accused by the customers of being rude because we're doing our job - and - when management backs us up for doing our job instead of disciplining us.

Wouldn't it be great if GRT implemented that into the INIT system?

No. Please. Of course, if it was implemented with INIT, it would make the announcement five seconds after the bus has left the stop, and half the time you wouldn't be able to hear it anyways.

• 1 month later...
I have written up buses before because the "Leave by centre door" sign wasn't working.

I have to admit I just love that comment! I think today the "Leave By Centre Door" sign on my bus wasn't working! (Maybe the "light" was burnt out?) I even watched a woman trying to enter at a stop "elbow" a group of students exiting through the front doors! Bet that hurt! She mumbled something to me as she paid her fare, but I have "selective hearing", so I just smiled and told her to have a nice day! LMFAO. :)