Leave By Rear Door

Just curious, but how can we train passengers to "Leave by the rear door"?

It seems that almost everyone wants to exit out the front, without any consideration to those standing outside, waiting to board. It would be much faster, in my opinion, to have them exit the rear doors, while the driver loads through the front. (Obviously the exception to this is wheelchair and those who are mobility impaired.)

I just love watching passengers sitting right in the back row, slowly walk up to the front, AFTER the bus has stopped, and exit out the front ONLY to then start walking back towards the rear of the bus!

It must be frustrating for those standing out in the pouring rain, while they wait to board, to have to wait while others disembark. Obviously there are many passengers who cannot read the sign posted at the front of the bus that says: "LEAVE BY CENTER DOOR". Maybe the confusion is "Center Door". Should it say "Rear Door"? A better idea might be to change all of the "Next Stop Requested" illuminated signs to read: LEAVE BY REAR DOOR. But then again, who reads anyway. (I've also just opened the rear door manually, and let them all stand at the front door, telling them the back doors are open!)

Any comments on this?

It seems that almost everyone wants to exit out the front, without any consideration to those standing outside, waiting to board.

In my experience most people exit at the rear door most of the time. When they don't, I don't think the signs are the problem. The issue is that the layout of our buses does little to dissuade people from walking back the same way they came, and certain kinds of riders will always be exiting in the front and thus showing that it's possible to do so. Another issue is that the sensors that open the rear doors sometimes don't work as they should, and so I'm sure the prospect of exiting at the rear door causes anxiety for many riders.

It would be worth seeing whether other agencies have been able to benefit from better guidance for riders. To me it isn't clear that this is worth expending more effort on.

However, I would guess that more people would leave by the rear door if it were made easy to use and 99% reliable (e.g. a push bar, or better sensors) and if there were enormous one-directional arrows drawn on the bus floor by the front door. Another approach is, of course, to have all-door boarding and fare validation on the busier routes.

In my experience most people exit at the rear door most of the time. When they don't, I don't think the signs are the problem. The issue is that the layout of our buses does little to dissuade people from walking back the same way they came, and certain kinds of riders will always be exiting in the front and thus showing that it's possible to do so. Another issue is that the sensors that open the rear doors sometimes don't work as they should, and so I'm sure the prospect of exiting at the rear door causes anxiety for many riders.

I agree, but sometimes it's because they are seated right near the front door and/or their destination is exacly right in front of them when they get off the bus (example: The door of your house is exacly aligned with the front door of the bus) and/or there is an obstruction when you want to get off at your stop by the rear door. :P But I regularly see people leaving by the rear door though. Even if someone gets off by the front door, I don't mind. Just my opinion.

If the rear door is far from the curb (which it often is because there's some bad driving out there) I will opt for the front door (which is usually closer to the curb). Otherwise it is what ever door is handiest.

Many times one is forced out the back. Due to multiple wheeled contrivances one is forced to sit at the back, and because of same one cannot reach the front to exit. This is annoying, but does get people to exit by the rear door.

If a driver has exceptionally good driving sometimes I like to pop to the front (if possible) to compliment the driver.

The layout of the bus is not friendly. Many crowd around the wheel wells even if there are tons of seats available. Many people will set their bags on the wheel wells and then stand there to baby sit their belongings (just as easy to get a seat and put your belongings on your lap). Those people then mostly leave by the front.

I think as a driver one must tell these people to move towards the back and then they may exit by the rear door.

A better idea might be to change all of the "Next Stop Requested" illuminated signs to read: LEAVE BY REAR DOOR. But then again, who reads anyway. (I've also just opened the rear door manually, and let them all stand at the front door, telling them the back doors are open!)
In Ottawa, all of our stop requested lights used to say "EXIT AT REAR" and then the same in french. It worked really well since not many people exited at the front until 2004, when the Infernos came to Ottawa with their "Stop requested" light. That messed everything up.

In Ottawa, all of our stop requested lights used to say "EXIT AT REAR" and then the same in french. It worked really well since not many people exited at the front until 2004, when the Infernos came to Ottawa with their "Stop requested" light. That messed everything up.

Excellent idea, and I see it did work there, at least until the new buses had "Stop requested" lights.

Do you think GRT would even entertain the idea of trying this? Seems to me like an excellent idea, and a great way to get them to exit the correct doors.

One transit operator places colourful signs on all vehicles (inside and outside) reading "Enter" above the front doors and "Exit" above the rear doors. This clearly informs the passengers on where they should be exiting (and entering) the vehicle as they see it coming to the station (and while idling). Furthermore, clearly placed arrows on the floors of vehicles starting from the front and pointing to the rear would clearly show passengers that the vehicle has a "one-way" path from the front doors to the rear doors. Perhaps the employees of Grand River Transit would take these ideas to the operator.

SH

One transit operator places colourful signs on all vehicles (inside and outside) reading "Enter" above the front doors and "Exit" above the rear doors. This clearly informs the passengers on where they should be exiting (and entering) the vehicle as they see it coming to the station (and while idling). Furthermore, clearly placed arrows on the floors of vehicles starting from the front and pointing to the rear would clearly show passengers that the vehicle has a "one-way" path from the front doors to the rear doors. Perhaps the employees of Grand River Transit would take these ideas to the operator.

SH

I LOVE IT!!!!! "Enter" & "Exit" above the doors, both inside and outside. AND, the "arrows" on the floor leading to the "exit" door! Great idea's, but as we all know, unless it's an idea of managements at GRT, it will never happen. (They just don't seem to want to listen to the "guy's in the trenches". If it ain't their idea, it won't fly! No way.)

Maybe most people leave by the front door because its easier and they are lazier to wave or place their hand on the door (but I do agree that is a pain to put your pressure on the NovaBUS's doors to get it opened), earlier models in GRT like the 8800s - 2300s are better because for the 8800s to 9000s, you just step down and the doors open for you, and for the 9200s to 2300s, you just push the poles, so it is very easy for those earlier models.

I find it plausible that people avoid using the back doors because they can't reliably get the doors to open. Many times I've seen drivers pull away from a stop while someone is still frantically waving at the rear door sensor. After this happens to you (or you see it happen to someone else), it makes sense that you wouldn't want to waste your time fighting with the rear doors.

When so many people have trouble with a system, you have to wonder whether the system is the problem, not the people. I know some posters here like to blame passengers for being unable to use the doors, but the fact is that the motion sensors don't work. It doesn't matter whether or not the passengers are to blame -- the system's broken.

If it were up to me, I would equip all the buses with push bars and a motion sensor to keep the doors open while passengers are exiting. Alternately, they could all have driver-operated rear doors, but it would have to be consistent across every bus in the fleet. I think that would go a long way toward convincing people to exit at the back.

All of our buses have driver controlled doors but people still like to exit by the front because that is the fave place to gather. One guy will get on and stand at the front, even though the bus is nearly empty, and then everyone else will think there is something wrong with the interior because this guy is STANDING at the front, so everyone will follow suit.

In Calgary, I regularly drive D60LFR's and normally power open the rear doors only to watch someone get up from the rear seats and walk passed the open rear doors and walk up to the front door and wait for me to open it up to let them out....

Yup! Happens every day here! I'll 'power open' the rear doors too, just to see exactly what you are saying here! While they're waiting at the front door (either trying to 'push' it open, 'wave' their hand in front of it, or turn around and stare at you as if, "Let me out") I'll politely mention to them that "The back door is open". Also, if I have a 'bell' and there is nobody waiting at the stop to be picked up, and I see the person starting to walk towards the front door to exit, I might "accidentally" stop the bus right in front of the sign post, or garbage bin, so they have to step out around it! (LMFAO) I'll also 'power open' the rear doors and let all of those people exit first, then once the rear doors start to close, I'll open the front. I love my job! So much fun! (At least it makes it a little more exciting)

So, "How do we teach them to leave via the rear door??" I do like the idea of "arrows" on the floor, the "Enter" / "Exit" signage, and I LOVE the idea of repalcing the "Next Stop Requested" with "Exit via the Rear Doors".

Will happen at GRT? Nah!

While they're waiting at the front door (either trying to 'push' it open, 'wave' their hand in front of it, or turn around and stare at you as if, "Let me out") I'll politely mention to them that "The back door is open". Also, if I have a 'bell' and there is nobody waiting at the stop to be picked up, and I see the person starting to walk towards the front door to exit, I might "accidentally" stop the bus right in front of the sign post, or garbage bin, so they have to step out around it! (LMFAO) I'll also 'power open' the rear doors and let all of those people exit first, then once the rear doors start to close, I'll open the front. I love my job! So much fun! (At least it makes it a little more exciting)

The above is a description of a power trip. To bus drivers reading this: please don't condone other drivers (or yourself) acting like an asshole to passengers for the sheer hell of it.

Excellent idea, and I see it did work there, at least until the new buses had "Stop requested" lights.

Do you think GRT would even entertain the idea of trying this? Seems to me like an excellent idea, and a great way to get them to exit the correct doors.

GRT vehicles already have the "exit at rear" signs posted above the Driver's area. Illuminating them will hardly make customers do so, it might simply look prettier.

The above is a description of a power trip. To bus drivers reading this: please don't condone other drivers (or yourself) acting like an asshole to passengers for the sheer hell of it.

I wouldn't say that this is a "power trip", and disagree with you, however I would tend to believe that you will still feel the same way. I just can't understand why people would exit through the front doors, and in particular, on a rainy day, leave others standing outside. Obviously you haven't been left standing in the pouring rain while some other inconsiderant individual(s) decide to ignore the posted signage and exit the proper way.

I'd also tend to think that if passengers "boarded throught the front" and "exited through the rear" the flow might be better, and the bus might be able to stay on the unreasonable schedule that has been provided to the bus operator. Don't say, "Have the schedulers give you more time". We know that won't happen. We also know that from the start to the finish on a run that it can probably be completed within the allotted time, and it is usually only the "busier" stops (around the Universities??) where a lot of this happens.

Again, it's not a power trip, and, as you tended to say; "acting like an asshole to passengers for the sheer hell of it" well, I'll just take that with a grain of sand, and consider where it came from.

If you feel that you could improve things I'd certainly welcome you to apply for the job as a Bus Operator! I love it, but it can be a thankless job at the best of times. Just my .02 cents for today. Enjoy!

I'd also tend to think that if passengers "boarded throught the front" and "exited through the rear" the flow might be better, and the bus might be able to stay on the unreasonable schedule that has been provided to the bus operator. Don't say, "Have the schedulers give you more time". We know that won't happen. We also know that from the start to the finish on a run that it can probably be completed within the allotted time, and it is usually only the "busier" stops (around the Universities??) where a lot of this happens.

Again, it's not a power trip, and, as you tended to say; "acting like an asshole to passengers for the sheer hell of it" well, I'll just take that with a grain of sand, and consider where it came from.

If you feel that you could improve things I'd certainly welcome you to apply for the job as a Bus Operator! I love it, but it can be a thankless job at the best of times. Just my .02 cents for today. Enjoy!

Second that.

I've seen enough problems at the UW Davis Centre stop during the school year, with students willingly force themselves to exit at the front door. I had one driver on the iXpress during the height of rush hour, reminding everyone before we approached UW to exit at the rear doors, as that would speed up boarding. Well you know what? That bus came and left UW in a matter of 35 seconds! Some other buses I've seen, they don't leave UW for 4-5 minutes because students use both doors to exit, take their sweet time since they move oh-so-slowly, then have the batch of UW students entering the bus board, and then search for their WatCards inside, when they could've done it before they board.

Has anyone ever considered a possible proof-of-payment system in some busy stops like UW, Downtown, etc.? Maybe that can also speed up the boarding process.

I've seen enough problems at the UW Davis Centre stop during the school year, with students willingly force themselves to exit at the front door. I had one driver on the iXpress during the height of rush hour, reminding everyone before we approached UW to exit at the rear doors, as that would speed up boarding. Well you know what? That bus came and left UW in a matter of 35 seconds! Some other buses I've seen, they don't leave UW for 4-5 minutes because students use both doors to exit, take their sweet time since they move oh-so-slowly, then have the batch of UW students entering the bus board, and then search for their WatCards inside, when they could've done it before they board.

Very well said! I might have even been the driver who asked everyone to exit via the rear doors. See, it really does work! (And the driver is not on a power trip, as someone has indicated)

Very well said! I might have even been the driver who asked everyone to exit via the rear doors. See, it really does work! (And the driver is not on a power trip, as someone has indicated)

I think asking to exit via the rear doors is quite reasonable. However, people are permitted to exit via the front doors (should be or not, they are), so being an ass by opening the doors into a garbage can is a power trip. I don't think mpd618 ever suggested that people shouldn't exit by the rear doors, just that when they don't they are still customers and deserve customer service.

I think the entrance and exit signs are a great idea, exiting by the rear doors does improve flow. But even I sometimes exit by the front doors, generally because of giant snowbanks, but also sometimes when there's no one waiting to board.

I had one driver on the iXpress during the height of rush hour, reminding everyone before we approached UW to exit at the rear doors, as that would speed up boarding.

Asking passengers to leave by the rear door when at a high-traffic stop? Reasonable and commendable.

When no one is waiting at a stop, deliberately stopping the front door next to an obstruction just to piss off a passenger? That's being an asshole.

I think asking to exit via the rear doors is quite reasonable. However, people are permitted to exit via the front doors (should be or not, they are), so being an ass by opening the doors into a garbage can is a power trip. I don't think mpd618 ever suggested that people shouldn't exit by the rear doors, just that when they don't they are still customers and deserve customer service.

I think the entrance and exit signs are a great idea, exiting by the rear doors does improve flow. But even I sometimes exit by the front doors, generally because of giant snowbanks, but also sometimes when there's no one waiting to board.

Asking passengers to leave by the rear door when at a high-traffic stop? Reasonable and commendable.

When no one is waiting at a stop, deliberately stopping the front door next to an obstruction just to piss off a passenger? That's being an asshole.

As you guys said, I have no problem with passengers exiting at the front doors if no one (or one person) is boarding the bus at that particular stop. In fact, I do that quite often to say "thank you" to the driver, as I'm not a fan of shouting "thank you" halfway across the bus so the driver can hear it.

As for the snowbanks issue...maybe an email to the city would be in order, as bus platforms are supposed to be clear of piling snow.

If no one is waiting at the stop to board, and the passenger walks up from the back of the bus, past the rear door, and exits out the front (because he/she can't read?) you think the driver is being an asshole just because the front doors are by the bus stop sign, or a garbage bin? Save a few steps and exit the rear, like the sign asks you to do. Nobody is being an assh*le here, in my opinion. (And I started this thread just in hopes of getting some ideas on how we, the drivers, can convince passengers to "exit the rear". Simple enough? I'm beginning to think not.)