What are the ridership numbers for the Nelson area? I think this is great for Nelson, but how can a town of 10,000 people support 6 x 40ft buses?

(and yes, there is a sense of frustration in my post that they're getting the buses and we're not, at least yet ... ;) )

Nelson is a beautiful town...hmmm wonder if there hiring??? I would sell it all and move there if I had a secure job in Nelson.

What are the ridership numbers for the Nelson area? I think this is great for Nelson, but how can a town of 10,000 people support 6 x 40ft buses?

(and yes, there is a sense of frustration in my post that they're getting the buses and we're not, at least yet ... ;) )

I'm sure right now, the City of Nelson is lookin at you and sayin, "Haw Haw!!" :(

(bad joke and a Simpsons reference...)

I'm sure right now, the City of Nelson is lookin at you and sayin, "Haw Haw!!" :(

(bad joke and a Simpsons reference...)

;) Especially since they're running at least one Orion that came from our system years ago ... lol

But seriously, I'm really not understanding how such a small town can support 6 x 40ft buses, let alone service till 10:00pm. I'm guessing that local funding is very, very generous in Nelson and area.

Here's a comparison of Vernon to Nelson from the most recent Conventional actuals:

Vernon Tier II

Revenue Hours:20 819

Revenue Passenger:372 173

Operating Cost: 1 944 082

Municipal Share:514 987

Hours/Capita: 0.56

Population within 400m: 37 200

Nelson Tier III

Revenue Hours:12 022

Revenue Passenger:292 631

Operating Coast: 1 164 881

Municipal Share:310 549

Hours/Capita: 0.86

Pop. within 400m: 14 000

So yes, on a per capita basis Nelson is far more generous than Vernon, but I think a lot of it has to do with Nelson having a more compact urban design, so 1 hour in Nelson can theoretically provide better service than 1 hour in Vernon because it has to cover less ground to serve the same number of people. Also, note that the Vernon figures don't include their contribution to the UBC-O connector route.

I'm not sure how they ended up with the Orion Is (although I'm guessing there's a similar story behind them) but the Novas are just spares, BC Transit bought tons of new buses for the Olympics and now is sending them where ever replacement buses are needed, judging from what I've seen Nelson could make do with community shuttle sized buses but why not take the 40 footers if they're available...

Anyway a quick update while I'm up in Nelson: I saw an Orion I on Saturday (didn't get the number) so it looks as though there is still one in service. Other than that I got some shots of LFS # 9344 as well as an on-board video recording, that will be posted on YouTube soon, for now here's some pictures of 9344.

DSC03906.JPG DSC03911.JPG DSC03930.JPG

Anyway a quick update while I'm up in Nelson: I saw an Orion I on Saturday (didn't get the number) so it looks as though there is still one in service. Other than that I got some shots of LFS # 9344 as well as an on-board video recording, that will be posted on YouTube soon, for now here's some pictures of 9344.

So much for assigning them by logical number! When I was there a few weeks ago they had 9349 and 9353, and now they've added 9344! 6713, 6716, 6729 and 6785 were all in active service when I was there. Makes you wonder what the last 3 or 4 T-Drive units will be.

On an aside note, for a Tier 3 system, an insane amount of people use the bus after 9PM!

Where can I find a link for any possible employment opportunities for Nelson transit?? I can't find anything....

Was down in Nelson this weekend and saw C-617 doing the Slocan Valley run coming up Hwy 6 just outside of Nelson. Looked weird seeing an International like our C-619 elsewhere :D

EDIT: Just took a peek and the run is operated by the Central Kootney Transit out of Nakusp not Nelson ... my bad :rolleyes:

Was down in Nelson this weekend and saw C-617 doing the Slocan Valley run coming up Hwy 6 just outside of Nelson. Looked weird seeing an International like our C-619 elsewhere :D

EDIT: Just took a peek and the run is operated by the Central Kootney Transit out of Nakusp not Nelson ... my bad :rolleyes:

It seems at least 3 of those are operated in the Nelson area then. I photographed C618 and C621 at the shops in Nelson in May of 2009. See attached images:

030509_8723nelson_c618.jpg

030509_8724nelson_c621.jpg

Did you happen to notice the fleet numbers on the Nova's that were in Nelson when you were there? So far, according to the above posts, we know 9344, 9349, 9353 are in operation in Nelson.

How many of those internationals are there province wide?

Assuming the two that MBTA photographed above are still in service, plus C617 that I saw Monday and our (Vernon's) C619 there are atleast four.

Did you happen to notice the fleet numbers on the Nova's that were in Nelson when you were there? So far, according to the above posts, we know 9344, 9349, 9353 are in operation in Nelson.

No I didn't, I was there just for about an hour and I didn't see a single one drive by.

I'm in Nelson now!!

2 days too late, could have gone for a pint :D

That makes me wonder if the Orion I's are still stored somewhere! Send them back to Nelson! Makes me also wonder if the old 1991-1993 D40LF's cost less to operate than these new Nova's!?!

I think I remember seeing a few of the old Orions at the Kelowna yard, but I haven't been there since the summer so have no idea if they are still there.

As for the D40LF's, replacing the fleet of 5 1992's and 3 1993's in Penticton led to an increase of $297000/year but after reduced fuel and maintenance costs are factored in, the increase is cut down to $20000/year as indicated by the latest city budget cycle.

Also, the twenty grand increase is not entirely due to the Novas. Some of the increased cost is supposedly due to revenue loss from the ridership drop that the last fare increase caused. Ironic, no?

Perhaps the fuel issue in Nelson is something specific to that community? A combination of route structure and driver training for fuel efficiency...or maybe Nelson just got lucky and ended up with a bunch of lemons :P Just speculation, but I find it odd that a fleet of (almost) brand new buses would be that much worse than the 2-stroke technology from 20+ years ago.