Charles Street terminal Escalator

FIDO

Should the Region repalce the escalators at the Charles Street Terminal?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Region repalce the escalators at the Charles Street Terminal?

• Yes
    • No
    • Replace with Staircase

Still out of service today!

Heard that it requires "major parts" and that they are on order. Seems that it will be out of service for quite awhile!

Maybe the Region should rethink this given all the money being spent on fixing it all the time. Is it time for a staircase?

Is it time for a staircase?

My vote goes with the staircase! Tear the damn escalator out because the reliability of it is NIL! There's still always the elevator for the "lazy" people, but at least with a proper staircase the "step height" or "riser height" for each step will be consistent, not changing at the bottom and again at the top!

For the amount of money spent already fixing those things, I bet they probably already could've built the starcase! ;)

They probably could have built TWO staircases! (Just think of all of the taxpayers money being constantly wasted fixing this "dinosaur". Build a staicase. Ther's always the elevator for the lazy ones; and of course those with strollers, wheelchairs, etc., who should probably be using the elevator anyway.)

• 3 weeks later...
Escalators (both!) at CST turned off, or inoperative today! WTF! What gives with this?
Still out of service today!

Heard that it requires "major parts" and that they are on order. Seems that it will be out of service for quite awhile!

Maybe the Region should rethink this given all the money being spent on fixing it all the time. Is it time for a staircase?

CST Escalators "STILL OUT OF SERVICE"!

Anyone willing to bet how long it will take to fix them "this time around", and, for how long?

They're still out of service ? It's been over a month LMFAO. Maybe they'll keep them turned off until Charles St. Terminal closes (assuming we get LRT) -_- ......

Why does that not suprise me!

It's "1" month and counting! The Terminal Manager says, "Parts are on order" ..................... LMFAO! (That's what Dept. 2 always says .................... "Parts are on order". Maybe they're fixing it?)

Seems the biggest excuse is that "we can't get parts". Just think of all the HST the Region is saving in Hydro costs by not running the escalators 20 hours a day, 7 days a week!

I see that the escalators at the CST are still out of service!

I'm amazed that they get away with 'delaying' repairs.

Hey! How 'bout at least turning on "one" of them. Have one running, either "up" or "down", doesn't matter, just turn one on, OK!

IMHO it's just simply poor management decisions being made.

What amazes me (well, not really, they are transit customers afterall) is as soon as the escalators go out of service how many people forget "the rules of the road"...you know, that whole pass on the right thing! I go down the right hand side escalator and up the right hand side, and it never fails when I'm going upstairs - usually with lunch in hand - by the escalator closest to the washrooms there's got to be some doofus with a bunch of crap (bags, suitcases, whatever etc.) coming straight down at me when there's no one even on the other side. I've gotten so sick of it that I tell them they should be going down the "right-hand side".

End rant.

What amazes me (well, not really, they are transit customers afterall) is as soon as the escalators go out of service how many people forget "the rules of the road"...
Nice. Condescending much?
No, I don't think it was at all. Sorry to know that you feel that way. It p*sses me off too when that happens. I guess that makes me "condescending" too :D

smably was very clearly referring to the casual condescension toward transit riders, not to the described incident itself. Of course, I'm not surprised to see a bus driver deliberately misrepresent a situation to make drivers look better.*

*Note: this is here more for irony than anything else. Though I do think it's been rather applicable to some drivers on this forum.

Perhaps my post was poorly worded. What was meant to be conveyed is that the same people who can't pass on the right using the escalators while they're out of service are likely the same ones who sit in the back of the bus and exit by the front door just to hang a right and walk past the back of the bus again, and who are the same ones who walk on the roadways at the terminal and around the pods on the roadways amongst the moving buses when there's a perfectly good platform to walk on and doors to walk through, and who are the same ones who think they can board and exit a bus in the middle of a city street despite there being no bus stop or the bus being in the left turning lane, and who are the same ones who wait at a bus stop for 30min. and then board the bus without having their fare close to being ready, and are the same ones who..........anyways, shall I go on? :)

Perhaps my post was poorly worded. What was meant to be conveyed is that the same people who can't pass on the right using the escalators while they're out of service are likely the same ones who sit in the back of the bus and exit by the front door just to hang a right and walk past the back of the bus again, and who are the same ones who walk on the roadways at the terminal and around the pods on the roadways amongst the moving buses when there's a perfectly good platform to walk on and doors to walk through, and who are the same ones who think they can board and exit a bus in the middle of a city street despite there being no bus stop or the bus being in the left turning lane, and who are the same ones who wait at a bus stop for 30min. and then board the bus without having their fare close to being ready, and are the same ones who..........anyways, shall I go on? :)

Have you seen how people drive? Or how well they read directions?

In the context of transit, people take short-cuts of all kinds and aren't always respectful -- as in nearly everything else. This isn't "transit rider" behaviour, it's just human behaviour.

STILL BROKEN TODAY !

(Ha, I beat FIDO to this) :o

And STILL BROKEN TODAY, TOO!

Anyone for bets as to how long it will take to fix, and for how long it will run?

This is freaking ridiculous that it's taking this long. Heads should roll. Someone should be held accountable for this. It's a disgrace to the Region. It's a disgrace to GRT. "We" can't fix an escalator, but "we" can spend a Billion dollars on a LRT system! (And those new "mulicolored" floor tiles at the Terminal. What a joke that repair was!)

And STILL BROKEN TODAY, TOO!

Anyone for bets as to how long it will take to fix, and for how long it will run?

This is freaking ridiculous that it's taking this long. Heads should roll. Someone should be held accountable for this. It's a disgrace to the Region. It's a disgrace to GRT. "We" can't fix an escalator, but "we" can spend a Billion dollars on a LRT system! (And those new "mulicolored" floor tiles at the Terminal. What a joke that repair was!)

I asked the othe rday what was up with the "Dinosaur" and I was told that repairs are waiting on parts fabrication.

And the floor tiles!!! Come on the terminal is how old? Floor tile manufacturers don't make the same tiles forever, just be thenkful the Region finally had it fixed

I asked the othe rday what was up with the "Dinosaur" and I was told that repairs are waiting on parts fabrication.

And the floor tiles!!! Come on the terminal is how old? Floor tile manufacturers don't make the same tiles forever, just be thenkful the Region finally had it fixed

22 years this year IIRC.

I'm still placing bets that terminal will only be operational for a few more years anyways. Whether we like it or not and whether it be LRT, BRT or something else entirely, the conventional GRT system will be moving towards a decentralized rapid transit feeder system over the next several years; the block the existing terminal sits on is far too valuable for redevelopment (once the coal-tar under the terminal itself is cleaned up, LOL) given the location.

On the other hand until we actually know timelines we shouldn't just leave the stupid escalators as is. I also find it odd that it's usually the escalator on the same side that keeps breaking, I wonder if the parts they are replacing are the same ones that keep failing??

hey everybody well it happen today a driver was walking up the Escalator and fell on the Escalator and the person was hurting when i was talking to this person and was getting ready to do the paper work and they said why the Escalator is off is Because of the ac being on now that some body got hurt with the Escalator not working they need to get the Escalator working before some body eles gets hurt

hey everybody well it happen today a driver was walking up the Escalator and fell on the Escalator and the person was hurting when i was talking to this person and was getting ready to do the paper work and they said why the Escalator is off is Because of the ac being on now that some body got hurt with the Escalator not working they need to get the Escalator working before some body eles gets hurt

Or better yet get rid of the escalator and replace it with stairs! Problem solved. If the POS isn't on most of the times then why still keep it? Chuck it and replace it with stairs. Plus less maintenance with stairs than with the escalators! correct? There ya go.