Who's buying buses?

TM

Santa Monica Big Blue Bus has ordered 7 CNG-Powered NABI 60-BRT's to replace their 1995 NovaBus Classics. They will enter service this summer, and will be in Rapid Blue livery for service in Rapid Lines 3 and 7. I believe they will also feature frameless windows similar to Foothill Transit's and WMATA's NABI 60-BRT's. There are options in the contract for a few more.

In addition, Santa Monica has ordered a few El Dorado National (30 Foot, Gas-Electric Hybrids) EZ-Rider II MAX BRT's for their Mini-Blue Service. They will replace their 2000 Thomas Dennis SLF 230's. They will be delivered and enter service this fall or winter.

Moving on to the San Gabriel Valley, Foothill Transit is expecting to take delivery of 3 Proterra EcoRide BE35 buses right around now. They are 35 Feet long and are purely electric powered, which for this reason, Foothill Transit has dubbed these buses as "Ecoliners". They will exclusively be used on Line 291 (La Verne - South Pomona) on a three year (correct me if I'm wrong) trial period and will enter service this summer.

MARTA in Atlanta took delivery of 101 new flyer c40lfr with a cool new black and silver paint scheme which they all I think have just arrived on the property. They have options for about 200 more which I think they will do some of them in the next year or so See wiki. They are retiring new flyers first big c40 lf order which they are 1996 c40lf. Also Cobb community transit of Marietta ga which is a very close suburb of Atlanta took delivery of 6 d40lfr which just arrived to and look great too.

Santa Monica Big Blue Bus has ordered 7 CNG-Powered NABI 60-BRT's to replace their 1995 NovaBus Classics. They will enter service this summer, and will be in Rapid Blue livery for service in Rapid Lines 3 and 7. I believe they will also feature frameless windows similar to Foothill Transit's and WMATA's NABI 60-BRT's. There are options in the contract for a few more.

In addition, Santa Monica has ordered a few El Dorado National (30 Foot, Gas-Electric Hybrids) EZ-Rider II MAX BRT's for their Mini-Blue Service. They will replace their 2000 Thomas Dennis SLF 230's. They will be delivered and enter service this fall or winter.

Moving on to the San Gabriel Valley, Foothill Transit is expecting to take delivery of 3 Proterra EcoRide BE35 buses right around now. They are 35 Feet long and are purely electric powered, which for this reason, Foothill Transit has dubbed these buses as "Ecoliners". They will exclusively be used on Line 291 (La Verne - South Pomona) on a three year (correct me if I'm wrong) trial period and will enter service this summer.

The 60BRT's will actually be used on local service because they realized that they'd be able to save a lot more money that way (less extra buses for line 7 = less overtime pay). I don't think these buses are scheduled to arrive until 2011.

I've been told there are a few El Dorado's already in the yard.

Torrance Transit will be exercising its option to buy 12 additional GE40LFR's that will be delivered Q1 2011.

• 1 month later...

For SEPTA, their third batch of buses consisting of 100 2010 are currently being deliver. New Flyer DE40LFR. The remaining options that they have left over are 40 buses. SEPTA's new hybrids are to be deliver from 2008 to 2011. The first two batches are DE40LF. The third and forth batches are DE40LFR. It is unclear whether SEPTA will exercise the remaining options as the forth group of buses will deliver in 2011.\

Also in planning stages now, SEPTA is currently bidding out for new low floor hybrid articultated buses. Unsure if they'll return to New Flyer for this order since SEPTA has a large number of New Flyer Buses in its fleet.

MTA Regional Bus Operations, New York, NY (includes MTA New York City Transit and MTA Bus subsidiaries) –

90 NovaBus LFSA articulated buses (#1200-1289) – currently being delivered; some buses will be wrapped for Select Bus Service BRT.

90 DesignLine EcoSaver IV turbine-hybrid buses (1300-series) – a few buses are on the property; not clear on how many buses are on firm order and how many are an option

135 40-foot low-floor CNG buses with an option for 610 more – rumors are that this has been awarded to Orion

The CNG order went to New Flyer. Shocking. I know.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Minnesota Valley Transit Authority placed an order for 7 Nova buses for its bus rapid transit (BRT) services.

MVTA opted for the LFX Smart bus which includes the Nova eCooling system, the Nova Bus proprietary integrated electric engine cooling that can improve fuel economy by up to 18%. The stainless steel structure designed for highly variable operating conditions was also a must for MVTA to handle Minnesota’s climate.

The buses will be assembled in Nova Bus’ Upstate New York plant and delivered in the fall of 2012.

--

Chicago CTA is buying up to 100 new New Flyer artics--33 hybrid and 67 diesel. These are believed to be LFR units.

They were left over from a contract initiated by King County Metro.

The CTA will pay only 80.1 million.

Chicago CTA is buying up to 100 new New Flyer artics--33 hybrid and 67 diesel. These are believed to be LFR units.

They were left over from a contract initiated by King County Metro.

The CTA will pay only 80.1 million.

Hmm, 100 buses at $80M is still $800,000 per bus, which seems high to me even for a hybrid artic...

Gillig:

MVTA: 6

Metro Transit: 30+83?

Maple Grove Transit: 3

Rochester Public Transit: 3-7 2012-2013 (based on contract)

Duluth Transit Authority: #? (Contract with Gillig, may need some replacements soon)

Cyride: #? (Some replacing Fishbowls)

MCI:

Maple Grove Transit: 6 D4500

Metropolitan Transportation Services: #? (exact number unknown but should be some added to contractor operated fleet)

New Flyer:

Maple Grove Transit: 3? (Unconfirmed, assuming New Flyer)

Nova Bus:

MVTA: Already mentioned

BTW we should start a wiki page for bus orders in progress.

RTC Bags $5 Million Federal Grant, Plans New Buses

http://www.kolotv.co..._151628395.html

Looks like these will be up to 10 hybrids. Not sure what they will buy but they have some DE60LFA already (Allison hybrids).

If they are 40-footers, they will probably be Gilligs. RTC is a loyal Gillig customer; I'd bet had Gillig offered artics they would have ordered from them instead of New Flyer.

Why not :D

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Current_Transit_Bus_Orders

Edit away folks, wasn't sure what title to throw on there, but adding some Canadian orders might be nice too.

Genius! Thanks for making that!

NABI should be added as well, LA Metro has placed an additional order for the Metro 45C (50 Buses)

Can anyone verify that Foothill Transit placed an order for additional 42' BRT's?

Gillig:

MVTA: 6

Metro Transit: 30+83?

Maple Grove Transit: 3

Rochester Public Transit: 3-7 2012-2013 (based on contract)

Duluth Transit Authority: #? (Contract with Gillig, may need some replacements soon)

Cyride: #? (Some replacing Fishbowls)

MCI:

Maple Grove Transit: 6 D4500

Metropolitan Transportation Services: #? (exact number unknown but should be some added to contractor operated fleet)

New Flyer:

Maple Grove Transit: 3? (Unconfirmed, assuming New Flyer)

Nova Bus:

MVTA: Already mentioned

BTW we should start a wiki page for bus orders in progress.

Add TriMet (Portland, OR) to the Gillig list; the contract started in 2011 and is currently underway with 55 buses (4 of which are hybrids) to be delivered by this fall. 70 more are scheduled for 2013 delivery. In all, this contract calls for 211 buses to be produced for TriMet through 2016-17.

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin