BC Transit - Powell River

http://www.prpeak.com/articles/2010/04/03/...c3823289869.txt

Apparently 5 2006 Novas are slated for Powell River.

I notice the article says that the previous fleet consisted of 4 1987 GMs. Is this a typo? I thought they were running a couple of Flyers and Darts each and maybe one contingency ex-Translink unit.

I was up there in August. I never did find the garage, but there are two '98 Flyers (9847 and 9848) that provide base service. The roster at the time said, exactly as you mention, that there were a couple of Darts and one Classic also in the fleet there. My reckoning was that the Darts were used for peak specials (school buses?) and the Classic was contingency to those. Seeing as I couldn't find out where the buses were stored, I didn't see any of these units so I couldn't visually confirm what was on the roster.

I'd be willing to bet that the five Novas that go to Powell River will be a batch that were originally delivered as a group to one system in 2006. In particular I'm thinking of the original five Nanaimo units (9224-9228) or the original five Prince George units (9219-9223). After all, Nanaimo has been gathering other systems' unwanted D40LFs...

Ok, so which Classic is up there? Most of the ex. Translink units are missing, and the Victoria ones are disappearing rapidly.

I've heard from the transit-victoria yahoo group that the Classics (and other undesignated vehicles) are being stored in Duncan, at a little place called "Berks Intertruck".

I'd go up there and take a look myself, but a trip to Duncan relying exclusively on transit and the Brentwood-Mill Bay Ferry is extremely tedious - if not impossible.

Ok, so which Classic is up there? Most of the ex. Translink units are missing, and the Victoria ones are disappearing rapidly.

I've heard from the transit-victoria yahoo group that the Classics (and other undesignated vehicles) are being stored in Duncan, at a little place called "Berks Intertruck".

I'd go up there and take a look myself, but a trip to Duncan relying exclusively on transit and the Brentwood-Mill Bay Ferry is extremely tedious - if not impossible.

Berk's? I know one of the managers at their Nanaimo Branch. I'll ask him next time I see him. As far as getting up there is concerned, you could just hop on the VIA dayliner, get off in Duncan, and walk south along the TCH (there's a sidewalk on that stretch). Probably a 45 minute walk from the train station, or a 5 dollar taxi ride.

Berk's? I know one of the managers at their Nanaimo Branch. I'll ask him next time I see him. As far as getting up there is concerned, you could just hop on the VIA dayliner, get off in Duncan, and walk south along the TCH (there's a sidewalk on that stretch). Probably a 45 minute walk from the train station, or a 5 dollar taxi ride.

I'm heading onto the island next Wednesday (Nanaimo, Duncan and Victoria) so I'll take a look myself.

Chris Cassidy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...