Greater Dayton RTA

etbetb, thanks for your thoughts. You certainly know more about trolleys and charging than I do!

I think the battery bus dual-mode trolley is going to be a great test and I really hope that it can be a long-term solution. Should be exciting to hear what is going to happen. I look forward to your updates on the RFP.

On another note, it is interesting that cities with surviving trolleys all seem to feature hills.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9803 made it safely to its destination to Europe !

Dayton RTA revealed a new paint scheme for the new NexGen dual-mode battery electric trolleybuses today. This scheme will be used on the production units that we should start seeing next year. Attache

Found out they are at least keeping 2 Skodas when all the Next Gens get here

Posted Images

December 9. Instead of replying to this thread, I've been updating my website with all the goings-on:

http://www.daytontrolleys.net/pictures/dtnet_sub_misc_trolleystatus.htm

All in all, the RTA has installed almost a mile of new wire ... in house ... in order to run the 8 as a trolley while I-75 is under rebuilding for the next five or so years. The Brown St overhead is nearly rebuilt, as well as the street is just asphalted, and we anticipate the wire moving over to support the 5 franchise runs soon. Not sure when the 7 will come back, or anything about the dual modes.

Yesterday was a watershed moment. First trolley out testing on Edwin C Moses Blvd. Pictures on the website.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a brief update on things. Starting tomorrow Rt. 8 will be back as a trolley. It will be using the new one mile of wire that was installed as seen in etbetb's post on his page. The only catch that we've heard is that they only plan to run trolleys on 8 for an hour. They just don't have enough drivers trained yet to run the full day. I plan to be out and about tomorrow afternoon/early evening to see what I can spot. As for other operations 1/2 franchise run is back to diesel due to bridge construction on Rt. 2. To my knowledge 3 is still ran as a trolley during it's three runs and 4 has been off and on depending on which driver is running the route. As of recent Rt 5 has returned as trolley since Brown St. construction is completed. So the next trolley to come back is 7 but we've haven't heard much on that story. RTA still needs to install wire around Woodman and Patterson turn around.

You'll find more updates and pictures here:

http://daytontrolleys.net/pictures/dtnet_sub_misc_trolleystatus.htm

http://cw.daytontrolleys.net/

Thanks for the update.

No problem. I'm just glad that things are getting done around here. I've also just got a report that RTA had worked all morning to hang wire at Woodman and Patterson for Rt. 7. They still need to finish the turning brackets for the wire, but progress was made today. I'm not sure if when this is all complete if they'll run trolleys out there or if they will wait until the next driver pick three months from today. I do expect a test run once finished. More updates and pictures will be posted on etbetb's website and mine too.

• 2 weeks later...

For those following what's going on in Dayton. Here are a few updates from etbetb's website: http://www.daytontrolleys.net/pictures/dtnet_sub_misc_trolleystatus.htm & here are some pictures and information from my portion of the site: http://cw.daytontrolleys.net/

Lots of good news coming from Dayton! I think we need another "tour of trolley operations", since most of the wire is live! (except Rt. 2 westbound)

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

As Daytonbuses noted, Dayton news is kept here:

Most notably, the trustees voted to buy 4 prototype dual modes (two diesel-electric and two battery-electric. Body by Gillig [possibly BRT LNGs, as they have strengthened roofs], propulsion by Vossloh-Kiepe). Although I've seen a contract dollar value tossed around on the internetz, I don't believe there's actually a contract yet. When we hear something for sure, we'll say something.

Daytonbuses is also keeping count of what's been seen on the street. I think the count is at 33 of the 52 production buses seen on the street in the past year (two have been totaled due to accidents), but don't quote me on that.

I put a couple videos up at www.youtube.com/daytontrolleys

Unfortunately, no weekend ops, so if you plan to visit, recommend you make it Mon-Fri.

The largest casualty in this trolley reactivation are the remaining 35 foot New Flyers (2151-2165?), which are now parked out of service behind 601 Longworth, along with approx 5 (?) 40 foot New Flyers. Dayton is getting closer to being an all Gillig fleet (both diesel and electric).

• 1 year later...

ICYMI, it appears the first of the Gillig BRT+ dual modes is being completed and en route to CCW for the ETB propulsion installation:

http://daytontrolleys.net/pictures/htm/usa_h_day_firstgilligdualmodeoffthelinebeforemodification_01.htm

Does anyone know when these might actually start hitting the street? I assume it's still a couple months away at least from possible revenue service, what with more installation, then shipping, inspection, training, etc.

ICYMI, it appears the first of the Gillig BRT+ dual modes is being completed and en route to CCW for the ETB propulsion installation:

http://daytontrolley...fication_01.htm

Does anyone know when these might actually start hitting the street? I assume it's still a couple months away at least from possible revenue service, what with more installation, then shipping, inspection, training, etc.

Hiya@MVTA:

Expectation is summertime 2014 (and that's as specific as I heard). What you see in the pictures will turn into the battery version; I've got a link further down the page with a Youtube video of Jay Leno driving and scoping out a Complete Coachworks modified battery bus. We've heard indirectly the diesel-electrics maybe get here earlier, but there's been no official word, printed or otherwise.

etbetb

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

One of the DEMO trolley coaches with diesel back up. Apparently there will be two demo units with diesel back up and two with battery back up. Gillig bodies and Vossloh Kiepe trolley stuff. Apparently the diesel portion is by BAE.

This is not my photo and the info here was gathered from another discussion group.

New Gillig trackless in Dayton - Oct. 2014       .JPG

I think it's more than a back up diesel. I believe it's intended for regular off wire use. Think of it more as a series hybrid with trolley poles attached. Captain, you'd be familiar with BAE hybrids as the power train in ETS's Orion's, although, not sure exactly what this thing has for batteries, if it has batteries.

I think it's more than a back up diesel. I believe it's intended for regular off wire use. Think of it more as a series hybrid with trolley poles attached. Captain, you'd be familiar with BAE hybrids as the power train in ETS's Orion's, although, not sure exactly what this thing has for batteries, if it has batteries.

Yes they are getting a few to see if they will add more to the fleet in the long term is what I got from this.

Dayton is testing two different kinds of dual-mode trolley buses (battery electric and diesel-electric). Once they decide which is better they have a federal grant to fund the purchase of five to eight additional buses. The additional buses will not be ordered until after the transit authority has completed the prototype testing.

Info is from this older article: http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local/greater-dayton-rta-receives-4-m-in-federal-funds/nP2Yw/?__federated=1

Someone please correct me if there is new or different information.

RTA’s fleet of 273 buses included 24 hybrids and 54 trolleys as of the article from 2012.

• 4 weeks later...

Daytonbuses and I went to see the diesel-electric dual modes today. A few pix are here:

Both diesel-electric demonstrators have arrived. The GDRTA hopes to see the battery-electric this month. Maybe.

The diesel-electrics are diesel locomotives on wheels. <Engine drives generator / poles on wire> provide power for the motor. No batteries on the diesel-electrics, save for the 24V low voltage system. Very 1930 PSNJ-like, except diesel engine instead of gasoline.

Rts 4, 7 and 8 continue to operate as trolleys Mon-Fri. Much of the wire work from this summer (Far Hills Ave hill and 200 ft of wire on Smithville Rd) has been completed. The 3 doesn't run because the city is rebuilding another half mile of Smithville Rd. The 1/2 franchise doesn't run because the rebuilding of I-75 has the Third St wire down. The 1/2 diesels can navigate the construction, but they'd have to reroute the trolley onto Fifth St for its single run, and that's too confusing for the riders who want to go to the Montgomery County facilities (courthouse and US Federal courthouse) on Third St. They do run the 4 down Fifth St, tho. The 5 franchise doesn't run because of the reconstruction of the State Rt 4 bridge on Valley St.

@2822: Approximately 35 of the ETIs are on the street -- and we saw two more being rebuilt in the garage.

For diesel fans, the 40ft New Flyer low-floors from 2003 are still in operation; they even repainted another couple into John Deere green. Usually one sees those on trippers at rush, or school service. There are also a few ( <10?) 35ft New Flyers parked out behind 600 Longworth. You can see the remainder of the 35ft New Flyers in Oxford OH running on the Miami (of Ohio) University campus service run by Butler County RTA.