Jump to content

Greater Dayton RTA


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9803 made it safely to its destination to Europe !

Dayton RTA revealed a new paint scheme for the new NexGen dual-mode battery electric trolleybuses today. This scheme will be used on the production units that we should start seeing next year. Attache

Found out they are at least keeping 2 Skodas when all the Next Gens get here

Posted Images

On 3/11/2020 at 8:05 PM, Daytonbuses said:

Thanks for the update. I've seen 1964 in revenue service. What are the fleet numbers of the Skodas still left in the barn? What happened to the others?

The 5 Skodas left inside are 9802 9803 9809 9834 and 9835

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, doglover44 said:

Update 5-28-2020

 Next Gen 1951-1969 are in service 1970-2059 are on the property that's 31 already Skoda 9802 9834 and 9835 are still in the barn and some in another building across the street 

That's good to hear that 31 Kiepe trolleybuses are on property! Thanks for keeping us up to date on what Skodas are left. I heard 9845 is in the building across the street. If I have this down correctly 9813, 9814, 9839, & 9844 should still be around. Unless they were sent off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 2:40 PM, Daytonbuses said:

That's good to hear that 31 Kiepe trolleybuses are on property! Thanks for keeping us up to date on what Skodas are left. I heard 9845 is in the building across the street. If I have this down correctly 9813, 9814, 9839, & 9844 should still be around. Unless they were sent off.

There in the coke building with 9845

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 2:20 PM, martin607 said:

I read somewhere that there may be an option to increase to up to 75 NexGen. Is this true and, if so, is it likely given the Covid 19 crisis?

Im not sure about that haven't heard anything. Where did you read it at ?

Update 7/29/20 we got new 35 footers 2031-2037 I think 2035 is broke down in WY on the way from the factory 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 4:42 PM, doglover44 said:

Im not sure about that haven't heard anything. Where did you read it at ?

 

Sorry, I can't track it down at the moment. But presumably if there are any options available, they would need to be exercised fairly soon before the current production run ends.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 7:37 AM, martin607 said:

Sorry, I can't track it down at the moment. But presumably if there are any options available, they would need to be exercised fairly soon before the current production run ends.

What you mean ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The main Wiki page needs to be changed.  There is no Kiepe 1972.  The 1950 series Kiepe buses are 1951-1971.  The 2050 Kiepe buses are 2051-2070.  A total of 41 production buses, to go along with the 4 Vossloh-Kiepe demonstrators.  All thru 2060 (as of Friday) have been on the street.

And Doglover is indeed correct -- 9813, 9814, 9839, 9844, 9845 (it's not easy being green) are awaiting being towed away. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

44 are on site, 1 (1402) is off site being repaired after an accident.

=================

Worth noting is that while 1401-1404 are Vossloh-Kiepe buses, 1951-1971 and 2051-2070 are Kiepe Electric buses.  (Yes, they are built on Gillig gliders)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiepe_Electric

"In December 2016, Vossloh AG announced that it was selling Vossloh Electrical Systems, of which Vossloh Kiepe was a part, to Knorr-Bremse,[12] and the sale was completed in late January 2017.[13]

"In May 2017, new parent Knorr-Bremse announced the renaming of Vossloh Kiepe as Kiepe Electric,[14] a restoration of its pre-Vossloh name but using English spelling."

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder what is going to happen to the Kiepe factory now this order has been completed. I get frustrated with Kiepe, because they have a good product but they don't seem to do any promotion for the concept of battery-trolleybuses with in motion charging as an alternative to straight battery buses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, martin607 said:

they don't seem to do any promotion for the concept of battery-trolleybuses with in motion charging as an alternative to straight battery buses.

All electric buses are a much easier sell for agencies with zero trolleybus infrastructure, and there are only so many trolleybus operators around here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 7:12 PM, Orion6025 said:

All electric buses are a much easier sell for agencies with zero trolleybus infrastructure, and there are only so many trolleybus operators around here.

But Kiepe could do more promotion in Boston and Philadelphia. And there's no reason for not looking for new starts. With wiring only needed for 30% of a route. battery-trolleybuses are cost-competitive with battery buses for heavy duty applications.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, martin607 said:

Boston

Boston has been looking in favor of scrapping its North Cambridge system in favor of all electrics and the Silver line system in favor of all electrics or extended range hybrids. No where in the discussion for replacement vehicles for those routes have trolleybuses been a factor. Having wires up costs money through regular maintenance. It’s much easier to install chargers at the garage and maybe at one of the termini and calling it a day, especially when such chargers would be useful to all routes instead of just 3..

20 hours ago, martin607 said:

Philadelphia

Philadelphia is in the process of slowly refurbishing their E40LFRs, they’re not replacing those soon.

20 hours ago, martin607 said:

With wiring only needed for 30% of a route. battery-trolleybuses are cost-competitive with battery buses for heavy duty applications.

Right if you want to live in a city covered with trolleybus wires and inevitability of getting detoured off the wired portion, then fine.. I’ll stick to battery electrics....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 4:18 PM, martin607 said:

But Kiepe could do more promotion in Boston and Philadelphia. And there's no reason for not looking for new starts. With wiring only needed for 30% of a route. battery-trolleybuses are cost-competitive with battery buses for heavy duty applications.

 

And SF...they might be converting more routes to trolleybus operation. However...

3 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Right if you want to live in a city covered with trolleybus wires and inevitability of getting detoured off the wired portion, then fine.. I’ll stick to battery electrics

This is correct. Trolleybuses just don’t make any sense in most cities. However, I’m all for converting EXISTING BRT routes into battery/trolleybus split operation

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...