Greater Dayton RTA

Small update on GDRTA:

1. The Skodas are still around barely. The tornado knocked out all the trolleybus lines and only the 3 and 4 have been restored (so far). So generally 4-5 Skodas will be out in the rush hour, less if they want to put a Gillig trolleybus or some diesel or HEV buses out

2. Numerous 2800 and 2900 series Gilligs (2008 and 2009 40 footers) have been sold to TARTA. Not sure what their numbers are. Once the 2019s enter service though, most if not all of the remaining 2800s and 2900s will be retired or placed in reserve.

3. There are some 2019 Gilligs (diesel, 40 foot) delivered; I heard that 16 were supposed to be delivered but I've seen pics of bus #1917 so I don't know how many are actually on order. FWIW it's also supposed to be 22 Gilligs in 2020-2021, but we'll see what really happens

4. A few 2010 Gillig hybrids (1050-1059 range) have been wrapped for the "Flyer" service because of higher-than-expected ridership. They've had minimal interior changes (Still retain the farebox, albeit covered, new screens) to accommodate for their reassignment. I'm not sure what will become of the 2012 Gilligs currently assigned to the route (1201-1204) but they still are out there (1201-1203 ran this evening).

5. The production Gillig BRT trolleybuses are slowly being delivered with 1951 and 1952 on property and doing burn in testing. 41 total vehicles are on order to replace all Skodas and to (re-)expand trolleybus service to the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 at least. They have something like 20 mile off wire battery range so construction detours should no longer be a huge problem...

• Thanks 5
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9803 made it safely to its destination to Europe !

Found out they are at least keeping 2 Skodas when all the Next Gens get here

Dayton RTA revealed a new paint scheme for the new NexGen dual-mode battery electric trolleybuses today. This scheme will be used on the production units that we should start seeing next year. Attache

Posted Images

On 7/19/2019 at 11:47 PM, Orion6025 said:

Small update on GDRTA:

1. The Skodas are still around barely. The tornado knocked out all the trolleybus lines and only the 3 and 4 have been restored (so far). So generally 4-5 Skodas will be out in the rush hour, less if they want to put a Gillig trolleybus or some diesel or HEV buses out

2. Numerous 2800 and 2900 series Gilligs (2008 and 2009 40 footers) have been sold to TARTA. Not sure what their numbers are. Once the 2019s enter service though, most if not all of the remaining 2800s and 2900s will be retired or placed in reserve.

3. There are some 2019 Gilligs (diesel, 40 foot) delivered; I heard that 16 were supposed to be delivered but I've seen pics of bus #1917 so I don't know how many are actually on order. FWIW it's also supposed to be 22 Gilligs in 2020-2021, but we'll see what really happens

4. A few 2010 Gillig hybrids (1050-1059 range) have been wrapped for the "Flyer" service because of higher-than-expected ridership. They've had minimal interior changes (Still retain the farebox, albeit covered, new screens) to accommodate for their reassignment. I'm not sure what will become of the 2012 Gilligs currently assigned to the route (1201-1204) but they still are out there (1201-1203 ran this evening).

5. The production Gillig BRT trolleybuses are slowly being delivered with 1951 and 1952 on property and doing burn in testing. 41 total vehicles are on order to replace all Skodas and to (re-)expand trolleybus service to the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 at least. They have something like 20 mile off wire battery range so construction detours should no longer be a huge problem...

Update 8/25/19

Some 2010 Hybrids are heading to scrap and retired. There are 3 30 ft and 2 40 ft Hybrids running the Flyer service. Gillig NextGen trolleys 1951-1955 have arrived 1951 is all ready for service with decals cameras and fairbox in place the others are next in line also if your coming to Dayton to see/ride Skoda trolleys better get here before Nov cause after that there will be enough NexGen trolleys to be able to retire the Skoda fleet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Chris H said:

Are the ETIs retired?

While I don't have a definitive answer to your question, I;ve heard that they're being retired on a break-down basis since there are almost enough Gillig TTs on property to (in theory) fully electrify the 4. That said, AFAIK not all are retired since a fan trip is still being planned using a 1998 Skoda later this year. Some units have been retired though (As in off property/scrap, not in the US-35 or whatever lot)

• Thanks 1
On 10/16/2019 at 1:43 PM, Orion6025 said:

While I don't have a definitive answer to your question, I;ve heard that they're being retired on a break-down basis since there are almost enough Gillig TTs on property to (in theory) fully electrify the 4. That said, AFAIK not all are retired since a fan trip is still being planned using a 1998 Skoda later this year. Some units have been retired though (As in off property/scrap, not in the US-35 or whatever lot)

It's true if one breaks down its out the door we already got  8 Nexgen trolleys 1951-1958 so far. Since the beginning of Oct there has been no trolley service doing work on lines and will out for a month 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

http://www.i-riderta.org/news/rta-receives-over-6-million-in-new-state-funding?fbclid=IwAR002rcR7C5ZWf641vrtMRdHGOcvk76lWavPUS-jsLmpm6-bUuG0UxNgP-w

dayton got 7 new 35 footers coming. see details here ^^. I've tabulated it in the roster page and went a little more into depth for anyone who may want more details/info

2001 community bus??? The 2001s were retired ages ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Thomasw said:

Apparently the last 11 ETIs have been retired. 

Yes, actually all 12 remaining ETI-Skodas are officially retired. I was there to hear the news and I have a list of all the remaining ETIs. ETI-Skoda 9835 will be the only one kept and added to the historical fleet. The bad Fall construction schedule in downtown and the recent revenue service of the new Kiepe trolleybuses have finally parked the ETIs for good. GDRTA is planning an event in the Spring for a last ride on ETI-Skoda 9835.

I leave you all tonight with my last video of the ETI-Skodas and the very last known video of the ETI-Skoda trolleybuses in revenue service. Date taken October 4th, 2019 - Dayton RTA ETI-Skodas 9803, 9809 & 9835 Eastown Hub 10-4-19

• Like 3

Sad to see the ETI era end in both Dayton and San Francisco this year. Luckily I was able to go to Dayton back in August to ride those ETIs for the last time.

Cory please let us know when RTA's event for 9835 is held, it maybe something I would like to attend.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, doglover44 said:

Update 3-11-2020

24 Production Kiepe trolleys are on the property 1951-2052

1951-1963 13 are in  service

Still 4 Skodas in the barn 

Thanks for the update. I've seen 1964 in revenue service. What are the fleet numbers of the Skodas still left in the barn? What happened to the others?