Greater Dayton RTA

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9803 made it safely to its destination to Europe !

Dayton RTA revealed a new paint scheme for the new NexGen dual-mode battery electric trolleybuses today. This scheme will be used on the production units that we should start seeing next year. Attache

Found out they are at least keeping 2 Skodas when all the Next Gens get here

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Dayton RTA revealed a new paint scheme for the new NexGen dual-mode battery electric trolleybuses today. This scheme will be used on the production units that we should start seeing next year. Attached is a photo of Vossloh-Keipe 1404 in the new scheme.

More photos from today at cw.daytontrolleys.net

vossloh_m_1404_third_new_paint_front_side.jpg

Edited by Daytonbuses
Updated information
  • Like 6

I misreported the above new paint scheme was going back to the drawing board because I heard reports that board members didn't like the paint scheme. I was originally under the impression that the whole board didn't like it. I was wrong. With that said here is an article from Dayton Business Journal - https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2018/04/24/greater-dayton-rta-unveils-design-for-electric.html

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, doglover44 said:

Update the 1st production Next Gen will be on the assembly line in December at Gillig then sent to GA to Vosch Kiep for trolley equipment then be in Dayton by April

Does Gillig do anything more than assemble the bus shells? You would think that Gillig might want to boast about their green credentials building the bodies of these buses but I have not found any material from them about this order.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, 2822 said:

How many of the older trolleys even go out on a weekday anymore? 

Only routes 4 and 8 have all-day trolleybus service, while 1,2 and 3 have only a few trips.

According to sources, peak trolleybus requirement is only 14. One of the NexGen is out of service following an RTA, leaving 3 available.  There's probably ~30 ETIs still around, more than enough to cover the current requirements.

I assume that when there is a full fleet of NexGens, the number of operational trolleybus routes will be considerably higher. I assume some current routes go beyond the limits of the old wiring, so that is why having extended range batteries is so useful.

• 1 month later...

Here is a bit more detail on the delivery schedule for the NexGen trolleybuses. Officials from Kiepe Electric visited Dayton and toured the system on one of the prototype trolleybuses in advance of delivery of the first bus from the main production run.

The schedule for delivery is: up to 17 buses in 2019; and the balance (say 24) of the total order of 41 buses in 2020.

http://www.i-riderta.org/news/german-transit-industry-leaders-visit-greater-dayton-rta-ahead-of-nexgen-trolley-delivery

• Like 1

I suggest you read the article that I linked. I guess  the first trolleybus will arrive fairly soon - the people from Kiepe Electric presumably paid a visit for PR and publicity purposes. And I would guess the buses will arrive steadily, say 2 buses per month.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Chris H said:

I will be going to Dayton next month, but I am wondering will RTA still have the Skoda ETIs out or will it all be those new Gilligs trolleybuses?

The Skodas will still be here a while till they get the full order currently there is no trolleys running we had a tornado Memorial Day weekend hit parts of Dayton and have been working on wires that and construction downtown

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, doglover44 said:

The Skodas will still be here a while till they get the full order currently there is no trolleys running we had a tornado Memorial Day weekend hit parts of Dayton and have been working on wires that and construction downtown

Wow, I heard about the tornado but didn't realize that it put the trolley coaches out of commission.  Any idea how long the repairs will take?