Greater Dayton RTA

doglover44

Those RTS buses were built in 1997 and they are considered old? Come up to Canada sometime and you'll find buses 20 years older than those running in some places. Oldest in Calgary, Regina and Saskatoon are 1977's. There may even be some 1976's in Regina if they did pick up a few Ex-Edmonton Fishbowls!!

Nice images btw! Thanks for sharing them!

Will those RTS still be at the RTA facility come May?

There might be a few around when everyone comes here in May. The Gillig Hybrids are going into service next week, so the Nova(s) days are numbered. RTA might still use them with Local School Routes for Dayton Public.

IMG_0341.jpg

2009 Gillig bus

IMG_0335.jpg

old RTS buses reitred in the scrap yard

IMG_0343.jpg

1996 SKODA trolley bus

Correction on the Skoda Trolley, that is a 1998 not a 1996. 9601-9603 are in cold storage inside of Northwest Hub. Nice photos, do you live in Dayton?

With regard to the hybrids, let's hope that Dayton doesn't "pull an Edmonton" by getting so caught up in the hybrid hype that they try to pass them off as an effective replacement for the trolleys.

The "camouflage" paint scheme for the Gillig HEV is interesting -- perhaps they're trying to make the bus blend into its surroundings as much as possible :lol:

With regard to the hybrids, let's hope that Dayton doesn't "pull an Edmonton" by getting so caught up in the hybrid hype that they try to pass them off as an effective replacement for the trolleys.

The "camouflage" paint scheme for the Gillig HEV is interesting -- perhaps they're trying to make the bus blend into its surroundings as much as possible :lol:

Yes, lets hope that Dayton doesn't even think about pulling a fast one; like Edmonton.

Bredas??? Those are not Bredas...

By Bredas do you mean Ford Tescos?

Dayton RTA bought 10 of the HEVs and I'm not sure of the rest of the LFs.

Thanks for the info.

By Bredas do you mean Ford Tescos?

He means the ETI-Å kodas. They do look kind of similar to the Breda trolleybuses running in Seattle.

Speaking of the Ford/Tescos, what are they used for? From what I saw it looked like paratransit.

Thanks for the info.

He means the ETI-Å kodas. They do look kind of similar to the Breda trolleybuses running in Seattle.

Speaking of the Ford/Tescos, what are they used for? From what I saw it looked like paratransit.

Oh okay at first that's what I thought he meant. Yes the Tescos are used for paratransit. Thanks for the clarification.

• 4 weeks later...

During this past few months multiple road construction projects downtown and elsewhere on the RTA trolley network has made it hard for trolleys to operate. At the start of this week I noticed that route 8 North and South is now operating as a diesel (sometimes a hybrid). On route 4 West Hoover-Westwood-Townview, after the elimination of route 3 west, West Third-Townview, route 4 is operating as a diesel (also a good hybrid route). I wasn't sure if it was a problem with wiring, but I think it is to a certain point on route 4. After taking a few trips out on West Third St. I found that where route 4 turns off of Third St. that corner is being reconstructed. (At Edwin C. Moses) This construction would make it tough for trolleys to turn without de-wiring. Now on to route 7 North and South, this route has become diesel ever since last summer due to construction projects on North Main St. and I-75 overpass. The South side of route 7 is perfect with no construction to my knowledge. As for the franchise run trolleys or as I like to call them the A.M. /P.M. trippers, routes 1, 2 & 5 as far as I know to this date are still operating as trolleys, but maybe not so much on route 5. Of course May 22nd is approaching fast and most of you in this forum plan on attending the #110 Charter. I'm just hoping that all the construction comes to a end soon, so we all get to ride the whole trolley network in its entirety.

During this past few months multiple road construction projects downtown and elsewhere on the RTA trolley network has made it hard for trolleys to operate

Of course ;)

Many of us were hoping to ride a lot of local trolleys. And photograph them too. There is a severe need here ....

Of course ;)

Many of us were hoping to ride a lot of local trolleys. And photograph them too. There is a severe need here ....

Yeah the road workers really need to haul ass, especially the road work on Main St. and I-75 overpass. I'll keep everyone up to date. I read somewhere that photographing transit vehicles in Canada is against the law? Is that true?

Yeah the road workers really need to haul ass, especially the road work on Main St. and I-75 overpass. I'll keep everyone up to date. I read somewhere that photographing transit vehicles in Canada is against the law? Is that true?

absolutely not.

as long as you're standing on public property, it's all good.