New Flyer Industries Discussion and Photos

DE40LFR

On 6/1/2019 at 7:04 AM, smallspy said:

My Dutch isn't, well.........well, I don't know Dutch. But even running through Google Translate, there's nothing on there to indicate with any authority that Den Oudsten built any North American-spec buses in Europe. The guys who track the VINs certainly have never mentionned them, and they've been following these kinds of things for longer than many of you have been alive.

As for our Wiki....yeah, no. It's so laughably wrong in so many places as to be useless for any serious research.

By the way - screenshots of websites are not "proof". Links to them are better, especially with references to actual researched materials.

Dan

Thanx Dan,

Just because the website shows available models doesn't mean it/they were built in Europe... 

Very interesting only Houston is pictured, and with the buy USA rules/regulations, can't see how anything would be built in Europe (after sending dies to Europe at what cost) then the shipping and tariffs costs back to North America just doesn't make financial sense.

Until I actually see real proof (plates and vins) and actual service verified (by a reputable source), I'd say a  D35LF and D40LF was never built in Europe for export to North America.

3 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Just read from Transit Toronto that NFI Group acquired ADL.

This has been mentioned numerous times in previous pages.

Before posting something in a thread at least read the last 3 pages(at least that’s what I do) to see if the answer to your question has already been answered or if the information you were hoping on contributing was already contributed by another member of the board.

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

A recall has been issued for New Flyer 2013-2021 XE40, 2019-2021 XE35, 2018-2021 XE60, 2016-2019 XHE40, and 2015 XHE60 vehicles. Firmware errors in the inverters may cause the electric drive system to shutdown. A sudden loss of power to the wheels increase the risk of a crash. 

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=5680&mkName=NEW FLYER&md=0&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&syName=All Systems&all=0&rn=2021206&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=21V244000&refurl=rss

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 2:08 AM, Eren Jaeger said:

A recall has been issued for New Flyer 2013-2021 XE40, 2019-2021 XE35, 2018-2021 XE60, 2016-2019 XHE40, and 2015 XHE60 vehicles. Firmware errors in the inverters may cause the electric drive system to shutdown. A sudden loss of power to the wheels increase the risk of a crash. 

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=5680&mkName=NEW FLYER&md=0&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&syName=All Systems&all=0&rn=2021206&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

I guess it just shows you that the buses they are making nowadays are cheap and breakdown easily. They don't make buses anymore like they use to.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:41 PM, chasbo2 said:

I guess it just shows you that the buses they are making nowadays are cheap and breakdown easily. They don't make buses anymore like they use to.

I believe firmware would be a programming issue, not related to the physical structure of the actual vehicle. That said I can agree it's a bit ridiculous how we've gotten to the point where a little bad code can place a bus and its occupants in a dangerous situation.

As far as general build quality and design, it would be nice if there was more incentive in purchasing contracts for ENC/Gillig/NFI/Nova to emphasize stuff like a smooth quiet ride and passenger/operator comfort vs. the current 'Who can build the most fuel efficient box the cheapest, and have it reliably run for 12 years/500k miles?' standard.

On 5/8/2021 at 11:11 PM, MVTArider said:

As far as general build quality and design, it would be nice if there was more incentive in purchasing contracts for ENC/Gillig/NFI/Nova to emphasize stuff like a smooth quiet ride and passenger/operator comfort vs. the current 'Who can build the most fuel efficient box the cheapest, and have it reliably run for 12 years/500k miles?' standard.

Agree 1,000%.

It's going to be on transit systems themselves to prioritize a comfortable ride.

A handful of systems understand how a more pleasant riding experience... will translate to higher ridership and happier customers. Which, in the long run, leads to stronger funding.

Far more systems (especially in the US) consider cost, maintenance and literally nothing else. They may as well be running freight trucks.

If I were writing a spec for transit buses, I'd require a certain passenger window height, rear window and option for roof-mounted HVAC.

Right off that bat, that would eliminate Gillig -- which is more than half the battle! It's open-ended enough where either Novabus or New Flyer could win. As for El Dorado, I have yet to form a conclusive stance. They're decent buses for light-duty/shuttle applications, but they're somewhat unconvincing in "real" urban transit service. I see them at LA Metro... and they do not look up to the job. But, could El Dorado satisfy my spec? I suppose I'd give them a chance if so...

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 10:48 AM, Border City Transit said:

As for El Dorado, I have yet to form a conclusive stance. They're decent buses for light-duty/shuttle applications, but they're somewhat unconvincing in "real" urban transit service. I see them at LA Metro... and they do not look up to the job. But, could El Dorado satisfy my spec? I suppose I'd give them a chance if so...

They have those buses located in the suburban parts of Chicago and I can tell you that they do not seem promising. I think in my view, the best type of buses for public transit agencies to use would be either Gillig or New Flyer. Perhaps I can throw NovaBus in there but I have yet to ride one of those buses

• 1 year later...

On the most recent agenda for London Transit there was a report requesting additional funding approval due to forced price increases from New Flyer on their outstanding order of 22 Xcelsior buses. It appears that New Flyer's suppliers are forcing price increases on them by force majure and New Flyer has no choice but to pass on some of the burden to the customer. New Flyer's correspondence states they are facing increases of around 14% year over year in one of the major manufacturing price indexes but are asking customers to absorb half or 7% of that increase.

The letter states that all customers with deliveries after July 1, 2022 will  have this 7% increase so it seems any agency who has Xcelsiors on order for delivery will have to do some number crunching. In  a past conference call, NFI executives stated that they would be allowing customers to reduce their order quantity or "de-spec" their buses if necessary to help deal with the pricing increase if funding is a challenge. 

New Flyer Letter regarding 7% price increase

• Sad 1

Allison has a software that detects the load on the bus and adjusts the shifting and takeoff to be more smooth. 

Voith equipped buses are horrible.

GO transit's double deckers have smooth shifting as long as the drivers are gentle with the throttle and brakes.  It seems like some units either have sticky brakes or the driver has a heavy foot. 

Edited by Shaun

17 hours ago, Shaun said:

Allison has a software that detects the load on the bus and adjusts the shifting and takeoff to be more smooth. 

Voith equipped buses are horrible.

GO transit's double deckers have smooth shifting as long as the drivers are gentle with the throttle and brakes.  It seems like some units either have sticky brakes or the driver has a heavy foot. 

Cool story.

what does this have to do with Flyer? Nothing? Ok.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 2:08 AM, Kobayashi said:

Well that might explain why Cota’s 8 2021 nfl XE40s were only on the road for a couple weeks 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has production of the TTC Xcelsior hybrid rigid and articulated buses began production yet? They were suppose to deliver 68 XDE60s and 135 XDE40s by the start of spring. Even there are no photos of it yet.

Blame the pandemic, inflation and supply chain:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/new-flyer-international-layoffs-winnipeg-1.6708214

Manitoba told of New Flyer layoffs after announcing $50M loan to parent company

NFI Group says pandemic, supply chain problems, inflation prompted additional layoffs

CBC News · Posted: Jan 10, 2023 5:42 PM EST | Last Updated: January 10

Less than a month after the Manitoba government announced a $50-million loan to help the Winnipeg-based NFI Group address supply chain issues, it was informed that the company had permanently laid off 30 employees.

The employees laid off were from New Flyer, a bus manufacturing company that's an NFI Group subsidiary, a spokesperson from NFI confirmed on Tuesday. The province was told about the layoffs on Jan. 6.

"These decisions are never easy, as they impact our people and their families, but we hope that these reductions are temporary, and we anticipate that we will grow our workforce in Winnipeg later in 2023 as we recover from the current supply disruptions," the spokesperson said in an email.

NFI said it was "severely impacted" by the pandemic, as well as supply chain problems and rising inflation.

The spokesperson said the company has seen a net loss of $230 million, had to eliminate 2,000 positions globally and closed or downsized a number of facilities since the beginning of the pandemic.

On Dec. 23, the province announced it was giving a short-term repayable loan to the company.

Company leadership said in an email late Tuesday, after this story was first published, that the layoffs were finalized the day before the loan was announced.

At the time, Premier Heather Stefanson tweeted the company, which employs 2,400 people in the province, "is key to Manitoba's economic growth as we move forward toward a greener economy."

NFI's spokesperson said the company hopes the funding from the province, which is expected to be finalized by the end of January, will help strengthen the company's financial position and support ongoing operations.

Employers who intend to terminate a group of 50 or more employees within four weeks must notify the provincial government, according to the Manitoba employment standards code.

No other employers have given notice that they are terminating employees since December, the provincial spokesperson said.

Clarifications

• We initially reported that NFI Group had laid off 30 employees after a provincial government loan was announced. Late Tuesday, after the story was published, an NFI Group spokesperson sent an email to clarify the layoffs were finalized the day before the loan was announced.
    Jan 11, 2023 9:44 AM CT