Jump to content
DE40LFR

New Flyer Industries Discussion and Photos

Recommended Posts

To those somewhat familiar with the XE60, is the B axle the only powered one, or does the C axle help out too? Genuinely can't wait to see how it'll perform, since this is the first bus since the AG300 to be B-axle driven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MiWay0310 said:

To those somewhat familiar with the XE60, is the B axle the only powered one, or does the C axle help out too? Genuinely can't wait to see how it'll perform, since this is the first bus since the AG300 to be B-axle driven.

https://www.newflyer.com/site-content/uploads/2017/10/Xcelsior-CHARGE.compressed.pdf

I think XE60 was a 6x4, B axle and C axle both have power, will be good for the snow:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

San Diego MTS is ordering 50 new XN60s, which will replace older models over the next 5 years.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/san-diego-mts-and-new-flyer-continue-long-standing-partnership-with-order-for-up-to-50-cng-buses-673635893.html

One thing that popped out was the last line of the article, saying that NFI has over 50 years of experience in manufacturing ZEVs. Is this true? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course. Trolleybuses. Late 1960's-1970's with the E700/800's, Vancouver's fleet in the 1980's, E60's in 1994, and then of course all manner of low floor trolleys, fuel cells, and battery buses in the 2000's - Present.

I would imagine they include the Ballard fuel cell buses of the 1990's in there.

Did they perhaps embellish the 50 year claim? Yes, a bit. But it is true. Technically yes. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Of course. Trolleybuses. Late 1960's-1970's with the E700/800's, Vancouver's fleet in the 1980's, E60's in 1994, and then of course all manner of low floor trolleys, fuel cells, and battery buses in the 2000's - Present.

I would imagine they include the Ballard fuel cell buses of the 1990's in there.

Did they perhaps embellish the 50 year claim? Yes, a bit. But it is true. Technically yes. 

Yes -- agree.  The ZEV 50 year claim can be supported because the first TTC 1947 Brill T-44 trolley coach sent to Western Flyer Coach in Winnipeg in 1967 to be redone as a "new" trolley was 9020.  It reappeared on July 22, 1968 are the first of the TTC's E700s *.   

* Source - Fifty Years of Progressive Transit, Bromley and May (1975)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2018 at 10:29 AM, Doppelkupplung said:

San Diego MTS is ordering 50 new XN60s, which will replace older models over the next 5 years.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/san-diego-mts-and-new-flyer-continue-long-standing-partnership-with-order-for-up-to-50-cng-buses-673635893.html

One thing that popped out was the last line of the article, saying that NFI has over 50 years of experience in manufacturing ZEVs. Is this true? 

Old news, but the 30 buses are to probably add capacity to route 7, 150, 201, and 202. This order is to replace the NABI buses and those 20 options could be used to replace the Blue Bird buses used on the Rapid Express Commuter service over I-15 and 163.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tommike said:

what happen to the 60ft fuel cell bus?

What about it

They're all on order

________

Out of curiosity, has New Flyer, or any manufacturer for that matter, bought back their own buses from agencies they were delivered to? Meaning to say after a full 12 or 15 years of service, or more if appropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2018 at 3:45 PM, ABQ RIDE said:

Actually, I think they currently operate Gilligs.  They did the last time I was there.

Golden Touch does have old D40LF's in fleet mostly only used on employee parking lot shuttle spares. Gilligs are mostly used on that shuttle. The airfield shuttle is always Gillig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An XE40 was tested at Altoona is 2014-15 and passed.  Wonder if NFI has changed the design significantly and put more weight on the roof? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The devil is in the details that we don’t know. It was an R&D mule that rolled, may have had an experimental mod.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidW said:

I wonder where New Flyer's Research and Development department is on driverless technology...

I think that's a touchy subject.

Personally, I prefer to interact with a human who'd be driving the bus, not a computer. My opinion. Though I think many would agree. 

I don't think too many agencies are ready to adopt that tech just yet. Even Byford, when he was at TTC said it was many years out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DavidW said:

I wonder where New Flyer's Research and Development department is on driverless technology...

That one may be bigger than their R&D department is willing to tackle. More likely they’ll adopt someone else’s system when they think it’s matured enough. Still a ways off from that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I think that's a touchy subject.

Personally, I prefer to interact with a human who'd be driving the bus, not a computer. My opinion. Though I think many would agree. 

I don't think too many agencies are ready to adopt that tech just yet. Even Byford, when he was at TTC said it was many years out.

I too would prefer a staffed vehicle to an unstaffed one, but what if the choice for a suburban feeder is between a full-sized, driver-operated bus every 30 minutes, or a 10-15 passenger unstaffed bus every 10 minutes?

I'm having trouble discerning how far into the future the technology is. When I read that Bismark, North Dakota is planning a pilot project for next summer I can't help but wonder if it's closer than I thought.

If I was New Flyer and I thought this was coming I think I might be looking for a technology partner to work with.

Bus by New Flyer, guidance by Tesla? ☺

I think the battery-electric bus is right-now's transit vehicle innovation. I just wonder what follows next...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...