New Flyer Industries Discussion and Photos

DE40LFR

If you did more digging around, I'm sure you'd find my post when I went down to the fences by Arnold Bros and saw those units. One of which was a Den Ousted and the other was the 'ghost' orange D30LFR which New Flyer has rarely ever publicly displayed. I believe I also posted pictures of the Golden Retriever fleet: Ford ELF & NFI D30LF. But yeah Arnold Bros. sometimes has some New Flyer units on their lot from time to time.

Also in related news, New Flyer cuts their production schedule from approx. 36 EU's/week to 34 EU's/week due to a delay in a major American contract:

http://www.newflyer....s-app/story.116

Does anyone know which agency delayed their 90 Artic-Xcelsiors?

Actually, after I read that same post about Arnold Bros. with your pics, I googled it in Maps and then noticed they did the aerial shots!

It'd be nice if they brought the D30LFR into production. Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton and other systems could use small feeder buse's that last a little beyond 6 -10 years. Plus Winnipegs 911-926 are getting old, fast. We might need more 30-foot buses in the future, and knowing how much the City of Winnipeg loves NFI... :P

BTW, we could use you back in the Manitoba threads! Havent seen you post in there for ages.

It'd be nice if they brought the D30LFR into production. Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton and other systems could use small feeder buse's that last a little beyond 6 -10 years.

Instead of the D30LFR, it seems that NFI intends to market their new midi-bus project with Alexander Dennis (Enviro 200 for North America) when small feeder buses that last are needed.

NYCMTA? Omnitrans is too small for 90 XN60's

Good guess, Ramirez!

http://www.newflyer.com/index/2012_09_24_nycta_award

http://www.newflyer....s-app/story.116

Does anyone know which agency delayed their 90 Artic-Xcelsiors?

The NYCTA / MTA order for the 90 XD-60s has now been confirmed -- see yesterday's New Flyer press release below:

http://www.newflyer.com/index/2012_09_24_nycta_award

Apologies for the double posting of the New Flyer link -- it appears that MAX BRT is two minutes faster than me !

Instead of the D30LFR, it seems that NFI intends to market their new midi-bus project with Alexander Dennis (Enviro 200 for North America) when small feeder buses that last are needed.

Good guess, Ramirez!

http://www.newflyer...._24_nycta_award

Im shocked it was just annouced now as the pilot bus of this order has been in NYC for a while now in full MTA colours!

That is correct. That is also one of the ways how New Flyer, Nova, and especially Orion was able to get back into NYC. Orion and Nova have plants in NY State just for that reason. Buy America isn't as strong as the Canadian version but only few choice transit agencies use it in their bidding contracts.

New Flyer's St. Cloud. MN facility has been producing complete buses for many years now. Winnipeg-produced shells are usually finished in Crookston, MN for US customers and in Winnipeg for Canadian customers. The only restriction was that St. Cloud did not have the ability to produce CNG buses, however NF recently outfitted that plant with a CNG fill station and related equipment so CNG's can be produced there as well.

Recently, New Flyer has been heavily promoting its "100% US builds" - most likely due to their competition (Gillig - and more recently NABI) doing the same thing and New Flyer being well known as a Canadian firm. Note that 100% US Built does not mean that every component is US made - just that the bus is assembled completely in the US. Also all of NF's engineering, administration, and after market support is based in Winnipeg and that service accounts for a good chunk of the total cost of the bus.

All agencies in the US that use Federal Transit Administration funding to purchase buses have to comply with Buy America requirements. Buy America requires that the bus contain at least 60% US components (using cost as the calculation factor) and that the final assembly occur in the states. Occasionally the FTA will approve exemptions to Buy America for specific technologies that are not available from US manufacturers. FTA also prohibits transit authorities from having a "local preference" in their federal contracts.

NYCMTA does not typically use FTA funding to buy buses. Generally those funds go toward rail and other large capital projects. For this reason MTA has been able to include a local preference for New York manufacturers on their bus procurements. This has helped Orion and Novabus win huge contracts for MTA.

New Flyer's St. Cloud. MN facility has been producing complete buses for many years now. Winnipeg-produced shells are usually finished in Crookston, MN for US customers and in Winnipeg for Canadian customers. The only restriction was that St. Cloud did not have the ability to produce CNG buses, however NF recently outfitted that plant with a CNG fill station and related equipment so CNG's can be produced there as well.

Recently, New Flyer has been heavily promoting its "100% US builds" - most likely due to their competition (Gillig - and more recently NABI) doing the same thing and New Flyer being well known as a Canadian firm. Note that 100% US Built does not mean that every component is US made - just that the bus is assembled completely in the US. Also all of NF's engineering, administration, and after market support is based in Winnipeg and that service accounts for a good chunk of the total cost of the bus.

All agencies in the US that use Federal Transit Administration funding to purchase buses have to comply with Buy America requirements. Buy America requires that the bus contain at least 60% US components (using cost as the calculation factor) and that the final assembly occur in the states. Occasionally the FTA will approve exemptions to Buy America for specific technologies that are not available from US manufacturers. FTA also prohibits transit authorities from having a "local preference" in their federal contracts.

NYCMTA does not typically use FTA funding to buy buses. Generally those funds go toward rail and other large capital projects. For this reason MTA has been able to include a local preference for New York manufacturers on their bus procurements. This has helped Orion and Novabus win huge contracts for MTA.

Nice contribution! Thanks and welcome to the board.

I can see that you know more than I do, but I am not sure that ALL"after market support is based in Winnipeg."

After all NFI has parts centers in California, Kentucky, and Ontario and a service center in Arnprior, Ontario.

http://www.newflyer.com/index/locations

That demo has actually been around for a while. It was built in 2005 and displayed at the 2005 and 2006 CUTA Expo. It used the ISE hybrid system and was converted to a BAE system by 2008. It appears it was acquired by BAE for their use as a demo.

I rode on an HSR XD40 and i found that the configuration for Wheel Chairs is less than ideal. It's a tight fit no matter how you look at it.

Especially with the rear door lifts.

I dont think that moving that door forward did that design did any favors.

One of the articulated NFI Xcelsiors that will be used for the Omnitrans SBX BRT has arrived to the bus yard in San Bernardino, CA.

Anyone know of a place where the Xcelsior is used or will be used for BRT service--beyond Brampton and now Omnitrans?