DE40LFR

New Flyer Industries Discussion and Photos

I wonder where New Flyer's Research and Development department is on driverless technology...

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

I wonder where New Flyer's Research and Development department is on driverless technology...

I think that's a touchy subject.

Personally, I prefer to interact with a human who'd be driving the bus, not a computer. My opinion. Though I think many would agree. 

I don't think too many agencies are ready to adopt that tech just yet. Even Byford, when he was at TTC said it was many years out.

52 minutes ago, DavidW said:

That one may be bigger than their R&D department is willing to tackle. More likely they’ll adopt someone else’s system when they think it’s matured enough. Still a ways off from that.

4 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Personally, I prefer to interact with a human who'd be driving the bus, not a computer. My opinion. Though I think many would agree. 

I don't think too many agencies are ready to adopt that tech just yet. Even Byford, when he was at TTC said it was many years out.

I too would prefer a staffed vehicle to an unstaffed one, but what if the choice for a suburban feeder is between a full-sized, driver-operated bus every 30 minutes, or a 10-15 passenger unstaffed bus every 10 minutes?

I'm having trouble discerning how far into the future the technology is. When I read that Bismark, North Dakota is planning a pilot project for next summer I can't help but wonder if it's closer than I thought.

If I was New Flyer and I thought this was coming I think I might be looking for a technology partner to work with.

Bus by New Flyer, guidance by Tesla? ☺

I think the battery-electric bus is right-now's transit vehicle innovation. I just wonder what follows next...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Depends on the computer interface ;)

futurama-bender-vector-character-800x566

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It appears that San Diego MTS is negotiating with New Flyer to buy 6 Xcelsior charge buses for a trial to see how the technology will work for them. This is alongside getting a grant for 11 Electric artics for use on Route 925.

• Like 1