New Flyer Industries Discussion and Photos

DE40LFR

1 hour ago, MiWay0310 said:

To those somewhat familiar with the XE60, is the B axle the only powered one, or does the C axle help out too? Genuinely can't wait to see how it'll perform, since this is the first bus since the AG300 to be B-axle driven.

https://www.newflyer.com/site-content/uploads/2017/10/Xcelsior-CHARGE.compressed.pdf

I think XE60 was a 6x4, B axle and C axle both have power, will be good for the snow:D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

San Diego MTS is ordering 50 new XN60s, which will replace older models over the next 5 years.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/san-diego-mts-and-new-flyer-continue-long-standing-partnership-with-order-for-up-to-50-cng-buses-673635893.html

One thing that popped out was the last line of the article, saying that NFI has over 50 years of experience in manufacturing ZEVs. Is this true? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of course. Trolleybuses. Late 1960's-1970's with the E700/800's, Vancouver's fleet in the 1980's, E60's in 1994, and then of course all manner of low floor trolleys, fuel cells, and battery buses in the 2000's - Present.

I would imagine they include the Ballard fuel cell buses of the 1990's in there.

Did they perhaps embellish the 50 year claim? Yes, a bit. But it is true. Technically yes. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Of course. Trolleybuses. Late 1960's-1970's with the E700/800's, Vancouver's fleet in the 1980's, E60's in 1994, and then of course all manner of low floor trolleys, fuel cells, and battery buses in the 2000's - Present.

I would imagine they include the Ballard fuel cell buses of the 1990's in there.

Did they perhaps embellish the 50 year claim? Yes, a bit. But it is true. Technically yes. 

Yes -- agree.  The ZEV 50 year claim can be supported because the first TTC 1947 Brill T-44 trolley coach sent to Western Flyer Coach in Winnipeg in 1967 to be redone as a "new" trolley was 9020.  It reappeared on July 22, 1968 are the first of the TTC's E700s *.   

* Source - Fifty Years of Progressive Transit, Bromley and May (1975)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2018 at 10:29 AM, Doppelkupplung said:

San Diego MTS is ordering 50 new XN60s, which will replace older models over the next 5 years.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/san-diego-mts-and-new-flyer-continue-long-standing-partnership-with-order-for-up-to-50-cng-buses-673635893.html

One thing that popped out was the last line of the article, saying that NFI has over 50 years of experience in manufacturing ZEVs. Is this true? 

Old news, but the 30 buses are to probably add capacity to route 7, 150, 201, and 202. This order is to replace the NABI buses and those 20 options could be used to replace the Blue Bird buses used on the Rapid Express Commuter service over I-15 and 163.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, tommike said:

what happen to the 60ft fuel cell bus?

What about it

They're all on order

________

Out of curiosity, has New Flyer, or any manufacturer for that matter, bought back their own buses from agencies they were delivered to? Meaning to say after a full 12 or 15 years of service, or more if appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 3:45 PM, ABQ RIDE said:

Actually, I think they currently operate Gilligs.  They did the last time I was there.

Golden Touch does have old D40LF's in fleet mostly only used on employee parking lot shuttle spares. Gilligs are mostly used on that shuttle. The airfield shuttle is always Gillig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DavidW said:

I wonder where New Flyer's Research and Development department is on driverless technology...

I think that's a touchy subject.

Personally, I prefer to interact with a human who'd be driving the bus, not a computer. My opinion. Though I think many would agree. 

I don't think too many agencies are ready to adopt that tech just yet. Even Byford, when he was at TTC said it was many years out.

52 minutes ago, DavidW said:

I wonder where New Flyer's Research and Development department is on driverless technology...

That one may be bigger than their R&D department is willing to tackle. More likely they’ll adopt someone else’s system when they think it’s matured enough. Still a ways off from that.

4 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I think that's a touchy subject.

Personally, I prefer to interact with a human who'd be driving the bus, not a computer. My opinion. Though I think many would agree. 

I don't think too many agencies are ready to adopt that tech just yet. Even Byford, when he was at TTC said it was many years out.

I too would prefer a staffed vehicle to an unstaffed one, but what if the choice for a suburban feeder is between a full-sized, driver-operated bus every 30 minutes, or a 10-15 passenger unstaffed bus every 10 minutes?

I'm having trouble discerning how far into the future the technology is. When I read that Bismark, North Dakota is planning a pilot project for next summer I can't help but wonder if it's closer than I thought.

If I was New Flyer and I thought this was coming I think I might be looking for a technology partner to work with.

Bus by New Flyer, guidance by Tesla? ☺

I think the battery-electric bus is right-now's transit vehicle innovation. I just wonder what follows next...

• Like 1