New Flyer Industries Discussion and Photos

DE40LFR

Apologies for the not so great view, the place looks like a barricaded prison around the manufacturing area.

Same with the NFI plant in Winnipeg, luckily, my lens could get through the chainlink fence. And recently, I found out that New Flyer didn't like my images of their Winnipeg plant... I posted them to a Facebook bus group, and they (NFI) gave the moderator shit for it. Surprisingly, it was only the photo of the four buse's on trailerbeds that got asked to be deleted, instead of the Xcelisor artic pic, or the pics at the Research Facility. Odd...

Same with the NFI plant in Winnipeg, luckily, my lens could get through the chainlink fence. And recently, I found out that New Flyer didn't like my images of their Winnipeg plant... I posted them to a Facebook bus group, and they (NFI) gave the moderator shit for it. Surprisingly, it was only the photo of the four buse's on trailerbeds that got asked to be deleted, instead of the Xcelisor artic pic, or the pics at the Research Facility. Odd...

He's not a NFI representative, he's just some snot-nosed punk from Washington DC. And Its cause they think the NYCMTA and WAMTA are the center of the busfaning world... Idiots.

Random picture of a GE40LFA.

061512131923.jpg

I rode on an HSR XD40 and i found that the configuration for Wheel Chairs is less than ideal. It's a tight fit no matter how you look at it.

Especially with the rear door lifts.

I dont think that moving that door forward did that design did any favors.

What other choices then? A regular rear door won't work because of the stairwell steps in front of it!

What other choices then? A regular rear door won't work because of the stairwell steps in front of it!

Other consortium have the rear doors in the proper position. BusMedic has already pointed out that because the HSR went with two ramps, with the door in the regular position, would leave no room for the fuel tank with the parts required for the rear ramp.

Other consortium have the rear doors in the proper position. BusMedic has already pointed out that because the HSR went with two ramps, with the door in the regular position, would leave no room for the fuel tank with the parts required for the rear ramp.

Actually that step plays a role here too, since the fuel tank is contoured immediately underneath it.

Hence neither one can be modified, and the ramp's stowed footprint intrudes into the angled step using the conventional spacing, so it had to be moved forward and swapped for a window.

... And Its cause they think the NYCMTA and WAMTA are the center of the busfaning world... Idiots.

Oh yeah, they both totally have the best fleets ever :rolleyes: Why waste any time visiting places with boring stuff like Flxibles, Phantoms, or Orion I.

Although I will admit I love the sound of the WMATA VII with C gas plus/Voith D864.3e :D

He's not a NFI representative, he's just some snot-nosed punk from Washington DC. And Its cause they think the NYCMTA and WAMTA are the center of the busfaning world... Idiots.

Random picture of a GE40LFA.

Wait - so THEY deleted MY pic? I thought it was because of NFI... now I'm pissed. :angry:

Nice pic, by the way

New Flyer Xcelsior articulated bus (XD60) in the Bronx, New York City, being taken for a brief drive near its garage

th_4710.jpg

Curious: are there any Xcelsior artics anywhere else in the United States (aside from Omnitrans)? This one was delivered in early July initially, then sent back for modifications.

Well from the Wiki it shows as

• Fresno Area Express (FAX) - Fresno, CA (on order)

as also ordering XN60's . Also in Canada

Coast Mountain Bus Company (CMBC) - Metro Vancouver, BC (on order)

as ordering XDE60's

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=New_Flyer_Industries_XN60

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=New_Flyer_Industries_XDE60

Well from the Wiki it shows as

• Fresno Area Express (FAX) - Fresno, CA (on order)

as also ordering XN60's . Also in Canada

Coast Mountain Bus Company (CMBC) - Metro Vancouver, BC (on order)

as ordering XDE60's

http://cptdb.ca/wiki...Industries_XN60

http://cptdb.ca/wiki...ndustries_XDE60

So CMBC isnt getting the usual XD40's? I thought to have believed that they were getting the Diesels. Time to wonder if they are getting XD40 and XD60 Trolleys

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'd like to raise a few questions on New Flyer's recent bus models (LFR's & Xcelsiors):

1. Is NFI likely to discontinue the LFR in the near future and consolidate the 35-60ft. line into the Xcelsior?

2. If yes, who's most likely to get the last LFR's?

3. Has NFI conceded the 30ft. market for now until the launch of their joint venture midibus with Alexander Dennis?

4. When will that joint-venture bus likely be launched?

5. What lengths will that bus be available in?

6. Why are Canadian sales of Xcelsior largely confined to Ontario (besides 2 customers/orders each in Alberta and BC, and 1 customer in Quebec)? I believe that the coalition of agencies in the GTA play a large part for that.

7. Why is the Xcelsior a slower-selling bus compared to the LF/LFR-series with just 40 operators in the US/Canada combined? In my opinion, the following factors are at issue:

• The LFR-series remains a more affordable alternative for NFI users with tighter budget.
  • The general downtown in transit bus orders, especially in the US due to the economic climate.
  • The maturing of the Gillig Low Floor over the years that make it competitive among the largest of the mid-sized agencies.
  • NovaBus is increasingly competitive among mega-agencies in the US, and is dominant in Quebec and Maritime Canada; competitive in parts of Ontario and Western Canada outside Edmonton & Winnepeg.

8. Finally, what is the comparative strengths/limitations of the LFR-series and Xcelsior, and which one is a better bus?

Any responses and comments are welcome as always!

• Board Admin

1. I don't know about near future, as D60LFRs are still being produced, but eventually we might see that happen if the Xcelsior design is successful over the next few years.

3. The only recent 30ft bus from NFI I know of is an order of 4 DE30LFRs. Since the "original style" D30LF, this is the only order I know of...

6/7. Parts commonality for saving on maintenance costs is probably a factor. The Ontario and BC systems are large and can order mass quantities. The systems in Alberta are small agencies so it probably isn't a huge deal.

8. Not having ridden on an Xcelsior, I would say it looks better, and has a bunch of appealing features (lighter weight = better fuel economy, LED headlights, more seating capacity).

3. Has NFI conceded the 30ft. market for now until the launch of their joint venture midibus with Alexander Dennis?

4. When will that joint-venture bus likely be launched?

5. What lengths will that bus be available in?

3. Seems so to me.

4. According to the New Flyer press release in May 2012, the market launch is planned for early 2013.

5. I don't know but according to Wikipedia, a midibus can be anywhere between 8 metres (26 ft 3 in) and 11 metres (36 ft 1 in) long.

These are great questions. There is a thread on the midibus here: http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=14910

Is it true that 2006 was the last year for the high-floor D60HF artic model? If so, then Metro Transit (Minneapolis, MN) was the last TA to receive them.

(video by TheTransitCamera, MVTArider)

I'm getting conflicting answers as to whether or not the last of the 3200 series (the high floors) for MT Minneapolis are 2003 or 2006 model D60HF's. Also: while the 2003 models may have the Cummins ISM engine, it's also said the 2006 D60s delivered to MT Minneapolis, if ever, used Cummins ISL engines.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please merge this thread with the "New Flyer Industries Discussion Thread."

Thank you,

Ben

Edited by Benjamin

Is it true that 2006 was the last year for the high-floor D60HF artic model? If so, then Metro Transit (Minneapolis, MN) was the last TA to receive them.

I'm getting conflicting answers as to whether or not the last of the 3200 series (the high floors) for MT Minneapolis are 2003 or 2006 model D60HF's. Also: while the 2003 models may have the Cummins ISM engine, it's also said the 2006 D60s delivered to MT Minneapolis, if ever, used Cummins ISL engines.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please merge this thread with the "New Flyer Industries Discussion Thread."

Thank you,

Ben

VIN for 3210: 5FYD6YU26B029957

5FY=USA

D=Diesel

6=2006 High Floor

Y=60LF/60FR (perhaps these were supposed to be LF/LFR?)

U=Cummins ISL

=brake type

2=Check digit

6=Model Year

B=St. Cloud, MN

029957=Sequence number

EDIT: Also according to Metro Transit these are 2006, and have the Cummins ISL.

Given that Metro Transit has generally bought buses with multiyear contracts, I have no problem with the idea that these may have been 15 remaining options left from the 3100 series order, and were perhaps delayed to be built until 2006 due to funding or something. The 2100 series 1991 artics were still working the State Fair shuttles in 2006/2007, and with the recently opened LRT in 2004 Metro Transit may have just wanted to wait before purchasing more new buses.