Xcelsior Pictures

WpgBusDriver

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know when 900 was returned to New Flyer?

What do you mean? I don't think anyone knows if it was ever returned to New Flyer, as it is still doing some demos across Canada and the US.

Winnipeg Transit did the little tweaks on the bus for it to enter service. Then transit put back the bus into it's default condition (removing of WT stickers, fleet numbers, etc). The last day of testing was on July 30th or 31st I believe.

What do you mean? I don't think anyone knows if it was ever returned to New Flyer, as it is still doing some demos across Canada and the US.

Winnipeg Transit did the little tweaks on the bus for it to enter service. Then transit put back the bus into it's default condition (removing of WT stickers, fleet numbers, etc). The last day of testing was on July 30th or 31st I believe.

Thanks for the date. What I meant was the last day of service in Winnipeg, thus going back to New Flyer.

Most likely a report is coming out about the results of the Xcelsior. But I highly doubt they would be good results, based on the results of the DE60LFR in 2008, transit doesn't have the proper knowledge of Hybrids. Although, this test was more about the looks and comfort from the passenger's and driver's point of view rather than the performance, the results could say that the bus was fair, but they aren't interested in buying any. But, who knows? Just my Guess

The Driver of 900 tolled me that this bus was different when it came to the driving and how the engine and transmission communicated with each other (of course I already knew that it was different because it was hybrid) He tolled me that on a regular diesel bus, like a D40LFR, the engine wants to keep moving forward, and applys the forward moving-ness to the transmission, which prevents the bus from moving down hills. However, on this hybrid one, when you stop on a hill, the bus starts to move backward because of a different engine and transmission setup. He tolled me that they brought this bus up on a highway ramp once, where it had to stop while still on a slope due to traffic, and the driver and transit people expected the bus to stay still, however it didn't and started to roll back.

Does anyone know how true this is and maybe give an explanation to why this occurs?

The TTC's Orion VII Hybrids roll back as well, the reason for that is because the electric motor isn't always spinning like a diesel motor (Feel free to correct me). Like a standard transmission when you have your foot on the clutch, the car will rollback unless you're on the brakes because the transmission isn't connected with the motor which is always spinning.

I read you guys are getting Xcelsior 60 ft buses and was wonder how many unites are expected :)

We haven't ordered any, last time I heard. We're "considering" them. Our garages are at over capacity right now, and adding artics would just create too many problems! With the busway proposed to be done by next year, having these would be a great advantage. But WT is pretty cheap and isn't interested in purchasing artics just yet. There should be a garage expansion sometime next or the following year, so 2012 at the least is when we could see them! But that's just my educated guess! :P

13---Vehicles_B_sm.jpg

I read you guys are getting Xcelsior 60 ft buses and was wonder how many unites are expected :)

2013 at the earliest is what I was told.

Thats good so i take it over all the Xcelsior was a hit in WT?

I didn't get to drive it, only talked to one driver that did and he liked it OK, nothing good or bad though.

There should be a garage expansion sometime next or the following year

2013 at the earliest, possibly 2014.

The TTC's Orion VII Hybrids roll back as well, the reason for that is because the electric motor isn't always spinning like a diesel motor (Feel free to correct me). Like a standard transmission when you have your foot on the clutch, the car will rollback unless you're on the brakes because the transmission isn't connected with the motor which is always spinning.

The rumor expanded garage at FRG then rebuild north

The rumor expanded garage at FRG then rebuild north

I've heard much the same rumours. Supposedly construction on the new garage at FRG will start this November. If I understand the location description I've heard it would be alongside the Transitway and south of Brandon Avenue. I think the expansion at North would be on the back. (All rumours.)

I've heard much the same rumours. Supposedly construction on the new garage at FRG will start this November. If I understand the location description I've heard it would be alongside the Transitway and south of Brandon Avenue. I think the expansion at North would be on the back. (All rumours.)

Guess I'm too far removed from the rumour mill. Last I heard (in the spring) was the expansion at FRG would be 2013 at the earliest.

Guess I'm too far removed from the rumour mill. Last I heard (in the spring) was the expansion at FRG would be 2013 at the earliest.

My source of rumour information has turned out to be significantly less accurate than I expected. So "construction starts November 2010" comes with a big "rumour" sticker.

need a garage to store all the new buses that won't fit in current ie bus 900

also new office

sound like the chicken and egg...... rumor is the 700 style is no more and xcelsior will be the new style

I doubt that. Winnipeg Transit (so far) is only going to be using the Xcelsior on the BRT, not regular routes. The only way WT would buy anything more "elite" than the LFR would be in NFI discontinued it. It's just a guesstimant though.

I doubt that. Winnipeg Transit (so far) is only going to be using the Xcelsior on the BRT, not regular routes.

Wrong, they're going to be using D40LF and LFR on BRT routes. They haven't announced what they're going to buy specifically for BRT, and what ever it is you won't see on the road until 2014 unless it's just 40' Xcelsior. I'd love to see their BRT style buses used honestly. Even better would be using BRT style trolley for University to downtown and University to Osborne Village, assuming the LRT dream is scrapped for now and BRT gets built to Bison Drive and into the University. I gotta stop dreaming...

Wrong, they're going to be using D40LF and LFR on BRT routes. They haven't announced what they're going to buy specifically for BRT, and what ever it is you won't see on the road until 2014 unless it's just 40' Xcelsior.

Oh, that makes sense. I was just going off of this.

http://www.winnipegtransit.com/en/rapid-transit/vehicles/