The Canadian Electric Railway Map Collection

faw

Greetings all. I am posting today to announce the creation of a new project. "The Canadian Electric Railway Map Collection" is devoted to all electric powered railway systems in Canada from the earliest trams and street cars to the latest Skytrain in Vancouver B.C. The project format is similar to my previous projects on Ontario and Quebec. The map is done in a .KML/.KMZ format so you will need Google Earth or ARC Globe (both free) or any programme the runs this file format.

View the site and download the file here: http://cermc.webs.com/

I am now seeking maps, drawings, track plans, aerial photos or text recounts of the routes and facilities of these systems. Anyone who contributes information that results in changes or additions to the map will recieve recognition on the contribtors page, and my undying gratitude for their assistance.

If you want to follow along as these systems are re-created I urge you to take out a free - spam free membership to receive automatic notices of updates to the map.

I thank you for your interest and support,

Paul, how much detail will you putting into this map? Routes and locations, or right down to track layout?

Dan

Oh Dan, with a question like that I'd have to say you haven't seen the maps recently. Yes, I want every route, every stop, shelter or station, power houses and sub-stations, from the most complex car barn layout to the smallest stub switch. Although my maps are done in an "all time" fashion, they are system maps, and me being the detail fussbudget that I am, I want to create the most comprehensive maps that history will allow. I sent you an email recently on the L&LE. I have tried to upload my screenshot from the website here and won't know if it worked until I post it. It's the Hochelaga shops and terminal in Montreal. Anyway check your real email for a message I sent on the 10th and lets see what we can work out.

L&LE has Horton station with and freight shed with a station stub now. Lambeth has a station, passing siding and stub now. A few stations have been marked out but there were 100+/- at one time. The route through St. thomas has been firmed and the car barn (sans tracks) is in.

Interestingly, while working on the L&PS last night I noticed something unique in Google Earth. The image over the St. thomas area was improved recently. The date on the image is april 2004 but I know it' from 2008 because there in the image, burning like a roman candle on Canada Day is the Alma womens college.

Hochelaga_car_barns_shops_and_terminus.jpg

L_LE_Horton_street..jpg

L_LE_Lambeth.jpg

St_Thomas.jpg

Oh Dan, with a question like that I'd have to say you haven't seen the maps recently.

I have to plead guilty. I haven't seen any of them beyond a06 or a07 of the Ontario map.

I'm sure I can find some track maps that will help you out for this.

Dan

A new version of the Canadian Electric Railway Map Collection has been released. Please visit the website to download file Alpha 02: http://cermc.webs.com/

While your there please take out a membership, sign the guestbook or leave a comment in the forums section. Thank you for you interest and support.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A new version of the Canadian Electric Railway Map Collection has been released. Please visit the website to download file Alpha 03: http://cermc.webs.com/

While your there please take out a membership, sign the guestbook or leave a comment in the forums section. Many changes and additions to the Hamilton map and the BCER system. Thank you for you interest and support.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A new version of the Canadian Electric Railway Map Collection has been released. Please visit the website to download file Alpha 05: http://cermc.webs.com/

While your there please take out a membership, sign the guestbook or leave a comment in the forums section. Thank you for you interest and support.

File Alpha 06 has been released. Please visit the website at: www.cermc.webs.com to download and view our latest work.

This update is centred around the former Calgary Municipal Railway streetcar system and the current Calgary C-Train LRT system. Please view the updates page for a recap of this update.

Please note I am in need of a track plan/layout for the C.M.Ry car barns/shops and the former powerhouse tracks and interchange with the C.P.R. on Calgary Stampede grounds.

Thank you for your continued support and interest.

• 2 weeks later...

File Alpha 07 has been posted to the website. Please visit www.cermc.webs.com to download your free copy of the file.

This update is centred on Edmonton and includes the Edmonton Radial Railway, the Edmonton Interurban Railway, the Edmonton LRT and the Edmonton Radial Railway Society. Please be sure to read the updates page for a recap of this update and remember to delete your previous copy to avoid confusion. Thank you for your continued interest and support.

• 3 months later...

A new version of the Canadian Electric Railway Map Collection has been released. Please visit the website to download file Alpha 09: http://cermc.webs.com/

While your there please take out a membership, sign the guestbook or leave a comment in the forums section. This update includes the current and historical systems of British Columbia. Thank you for you interest and support.

• 10 months later...

Greetings everyone. File Alpha 11 has been released. This update includes the Levis Tramway Company of Levis Quebec. There are also updates to the Canada Cut and Crushed stone, the Hamilton and Dundas Street Railway, The St.Thomas Street Railway and the London and Lake Erie Railway.

Thank you for keeping me busy, and remember to delete the old file from "My Places" in Google Earth. Comments welcome.

• 1 month later...

Greetings E-rail fans The Canadian Electric Railway Map Collection has been updated. Please visit www.cermc.webs.com to download file Alpha 13. This update is based on the Winnipeg Electric Street Railway of 1891 to 1955 and the two connected interurbans the Winnipeg Selkirk and Lake Winnipeg Railway and the Suburban Electric Railway. Anyone that can add information such as the track layouts for the north an south carbarns or anything that is missing or wrong is encouraged to write to me. I thank you for your continued interest and support.

• 3 months later...

Greetings e-rail fans. An update to the Canadian Electric Railway Map Project has been published. Please visit www.cermc.webs.com for your free copy of file Alpha 14.

This update reflects the addition of the Fort William and Port Arthur street railways as well as the Mount McKay and Kakabeka Falls Railway. This update also includes revisions to the Scarboro Electric Street Railway map. Please read the update page for more details.

Please remember to delete any prior map file from "My Places" in Google Earth before opening your new update to avoid duplication.

Thank you for your interest and support.

• 2 months later...

Greetings e-rail fans. An update to the Canadian Electric Railway Map Project has been published. Please visit www.cermc.webs.com for your free copy of file Alpha 15.

This update includes many revisions to the Toronto Suburban Railway and the addition of the Expo Express and the Cape Breton Electric Railway.

Please remember to delete any prior map file from "My Places" in Google Earth before opening your new update to avoid duplication.

• 1 month later...

Greetings e-rail fans. An update to the Canadian Electric Railway Map Project has been published. Please visit www.cermc.webs.com for your free copy of file Alpha 16.

This update includes many revisions to the Toronto Transit Commission streetcar system. Please visit the updates page for more information.

Anyone with a scale TTC subway system map please contact me.

• 6 months later...

Greetings e-rail fans.

I have had the good fortune to be able to travel all across Canada this year and visited most of the cities and towns (save for East Broughton, Chicoutimi and Shawinigan Quebec) that have or had electric railway systems, from Victoria British Columbia to St. John's Newfoundland. I have met with surviving employees of tram companies, authors, libraries and archives that have the information I have added to this update, as well as two visits to the awesome National Air Photo Library in Ottawa.

I am pleased to say I now have a complete map of the Calais Street Railway in St. Stephen New Brunswick which was one of two international tram line shared with the United States, the other being the Great Gorge Line in Niagara Falls Ontario/New York.

This project has become larger than I ever imagined and I have had several requests for proof of where I have found my information. You will now find that evey line drawn or marker placed as a part of this update contains citations and where avaliable, direct links to the sources. In the future all of my maps will be updated with similar information. Please be sure to read my updates page for details of what has been updated and click on anything I have drawn for additional data and citations.

Please visit http://www.cermc.webs.com to download your free copy of the map file.

Please remember to delete any previous map file from "My Places" in your Google Earth or ARC Globe before opening this new file to avoid unnecessary duplications.

Thank you for your continued interest and support, there is still much to come.

• 1 month later...

Greetings E-rail fans.

Please visit my website for a free copy of file Alpha 21 of the Canadian Electric Railway Map Collectio: www.cermc.webs.com and read the updates page for an overview. New with this version are the Lethbridge Municipal Railway, the Asbestos and Danville Railway, the Shawinigan Falls Terminal Railway and the Iron Ore Company of Canada in Labrador City. Updates include Halifax Nova Scotia, St.John New Brunswick, Victoria and North Vancouver British Columbia and Guelph Ontario.

Thank you for your continued interest and support.

• 3 months later...

File Alpha 22 is now available for download. Please visit www.cermc.webs.com to get your free copy. This update includes the Vancouver street railway of the B.C.E.R. that has many dozens of new photos and the Peterborough and Ashburnham Street Railway/Peterborough Radial Railway. New additions include the Lakefield Interurban of the Peterborough Radial Railway and the Edison/Canadian General Electric test track in Peterborough. Anyone who is aware of photos online or elsewhere for the Peterborough system is encouraged to alert the author.

Please visit the updates page for an overview of this release.

The next update will include the Montreal street system as well as the Nipissing Central Railway.

Thank you for your continued interest and support and don't forget to delete all previous copies of the map file from Google Earth to avoid unnecessary duplications.

Paul Delamere

I have that, but I have something better:

http://archivesdemontreal.com/greffe/vues-aeriennes-archives/jpeg/VM97-3_7P19-34.jpg

Check out the clarity of the Youville shops. The entire island is covered in this manor, just wait to see the details.

In fact, the file I posted has much of the car houses redone in Montreal already. Look at the track plans for St.Henri, Mont-Royal and St.Denis, just amazing!

Paul

• 1 year later...

File alpha 25 has been released. London Ontario has received the bulk of attention this time around. Both the London an Port Stanley and the London Street Railways have been overhauled. Top quality maps from the University of Western Ontario and high attention to detail make these the best yet. Please visit www.cermc.webs.com for your free copy of the map file.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Shawinigan Falls Terminal Railway has been added to the collection. Visit www.cermc.webs.com for your free updated copy of the map file. 

Please be sure to delete the elder map file from Google Earth before opening the new file.

Paypal donations are accepted at the email on the website for anyone that would like to help out.

Thank you for your continued interest in my work.