As I am working on creating the list of Ontario license plates I had a thought. Would there be interest in creating VIN lists for all the buses out there? I mean a page for 1997 LFS VINs, a page for 1998 LFS VINs and so on, with the transit agency, and unit # added to it. I admit would be alot of work, but would be a valuable resource.

As I am working on creating the list of Ontario license plates I had a thought. Would there be interest in creating VIN lists for all the buses out there? I mean a page for 1997 LFS VINs, a page for 1998 LFS VINs and so on, with the transit agency, and unit # added to it. I admit would be alot of work, but would be a valuable resource.

If you are willing to do it, I agree it would be a great resource.

I used to have an almost complete list of Orion VI VINs somewhere.

YRTeen has actually reminded me that projects exist on Wikipedia, where editors with similar interests work together. Maybe its time that the CPTDB wiki has such projects, where we can have a home page for people involved in the project to know what is going on.

I used to have an almost complete list of Orion VI VINs somewhere.

YRTeen has actually reminded me that projects exist on Wikipedia, where editors with similar interests work together. Maybe its time that the CPTDB wiki has such projects, where we can have a home page for people involved in the project to know what is going on.

Seconded full-heartedly!

It would be great to have project pages, so we can have everything organized. It could be a smaller version of the Conventions page(s) but have more information, and more specific information related to a small portion.

These project pages could also serve as a replacement to these threads, where using the 'Talk' pages would be closer to a discussion format, where proposed changes could be discussed by members of the project.

Feel free to start these pages - or do I need to do something special? (Like create a namespace for it)

I guess we should define the project first too. Is it to collect as much VIN info together? How should it be sorted? Too bad the software isn't really a "database", though you could probably get away with making a table with the columns VIN, Year, Make, Model, Transit Agency, Fleet Number(s).

Feel free to start these pages - or do I need to do something special? (Like create a namespace for it)

I guess we should define the project first too. Is it to collect as much VIN info together? How should it be sorted? Too bad the software isn't really a "database", though you could probably get away with making a table with the columns VIN, Year, Make, Model, Transit Agency, Fleet Number(s).

Thats what I am doing with the license plate pages, just tables really. But then aren't the roster pages the same?

Ashton you could put projects in the side menu, then have that lead to a master project page where all the various projects that will spring up now are listed.

So the project page has been created, now we just need to discuss the scope of it. I won't actually start working on it until all the Ontario bus license plate pages are up, but in the mean time we can still discuss.

Silly Tilley and I have begun to compile lists of Orion and New Flyer buses, respectively. Perhaps you or someone else could start on Nova, then we can go from there?

O gee thanks! LFS's? What on earth did I do to deserve that!!! Sounds like misuse of admin powers to me :lol: lol

Actually I was looking at the STM pages, there are a lot of missing LFS VINs there so we would need Montreal people to get that info.

I was collecting info on Classics for the last little while, so I think I would look at that.

Good Work John! Looks great to me. ;)

Thanks Kevin

As I look at it, remember I put this up to get comments, I have several questions.

Which would be more practical, to leave it in its current state, or to have all buses, regardless of model and break the list into 100 VIN long pages, so Dxxxx001 to Dxxxx100 for the first page and then Dxxxx101 to Dxxxx200 for the second page. (Personally the more I look at it the more I like this idea) or have one like VIN list, which off course may cause problems as I have found the WIKI doesn't like long pages.

Comments?

Which would be more practical, to leave it in its current state, or to have all buses, regardless of model and break the list into 100 VIN long pages, so Dxxxx001 to Dxxxx100 for the first page and then Dxxxx101 to Dxxxx200 for the second page. (Personally the more I look at it the more I like this idea) or have one like VIN list, which off course may cause problems as I have found the WIKI doesn't like long pages.

Comments?

Kinda like the licence plate pages are? I like that idea more also.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I certainly would be interested. VIN info is getting very hard to come by from the builders these days and almost has to be collected piecemeal from fleet lists.

Kinda like the licence plate pages are? I like that idea more also.

How to break a list would be more according to which builder you are dealing with. Nova, for instance starts with "000001" each year, so breaking up by year makes sense. Others like NFIL just continue series on, so breaking onto batches of several hundred or so would make more sense.