Marine Atlantic......Two More Big Boats!

Marine Atlantic will acquire two more ferries for the Nova Scotia <> Newfoundland run and the speculation is it will be the two sister ships of the "Atlantic Vision" that went into service last year.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&a...80&latest=1

And these are big boats!.

203m long

30,000 GT

530 cars

1000 passengers

196 cabins

Speed: 30.4 kn

This should significantly increase capacity and provide a back-up when problems arise like they have the past couple of years

About time, of course they will probably retire the Caribou and Smallwood since they always seem to have a four ship mentality.

If they were smart they would use the three on the PAB run, and send the Caribou to join the Smallwood on the Argentia run.

Not old at all. The Caribou entered service in 1986 and the Smallwood in 1990. They’re due for a major upgrading and one of the new ferries will probably fill-in while the work is done.

Look down about 15 threads here for one on the “Princess Of Acadia” This is the former Canadian Pacific Ferry still sailing between Digby NS and Saint John NB.....it entered service in June 1971.....now 39 years old.

The Smallwood and Caribou were built in the late 1980s, no? Is that considered old for a ship?

Dan

Now I didn't say scrap them, for they are not too old considering that they see frequent service. However I could easily see them being retired and sold, or one replacing the Leif Erickson as the truck ferry and getting rid off the Erickson, nobody I have spoken to likes that ferry as it can get quite rough in bad weather, it certainly did when I was on it.

• 2 months later...

The speculation is over and it’s not the sister ships of the Atlantic Vision........Marine Atlantic has announced they will be acquiring two Stena vessels for the Newfoundland service.

The Stena Trader and Stena Traveller are currently in service on a run between the Netherlands and England. Both ferries will go to a German shipyard to be shortened slightly due to harbour restrictions and will also have their superstructure altered to expand passenger facilities.

The Caribou (24 years old) and Smallwood (20 years old) will be retired and sold. The new ferries have about 1 1/2 time the capacity each, are faster and burn a lot less fuel.

http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/en/fleet/index.shtml

(click on "Concept Drawings" on the right)

The speculation is over and it’s not the sister ships of the Atlantic Vision........Marine Atlantic has announced they will be acquiring two Stena vessels for the Newfoundland service.

The Stena Trader and Stena Traveller are currently in service on a run between the Netherlands and England. Both ferries will go to a German shipyard to be shortened slightly due to harbour restrictions and will also have their superstructure altered to expand passenger facilities.

The Caribou (24 years old) and Smallwood (20 years old) will be retired and sold. The new ferries have about 1 1/2 time the capacity each, are faster and burn a lot less fuel.

http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/en/fleet/index.shtml

(click on "Concept Drawings" on the right)

Wow I was right. I am surprised that they don't keep one and get rid of the Leif Erickson

• 1 month later...

MA just got more money, $84m to upgrade the ports. It states however that all the fleet will be upgraded, does this mean that they are now keeping the Caribou and Smallwood?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labr...-money-705.html

The federal government promised Monday that it will spend an additional $84 million — on top of the more than $400 million it has already announced — to improve the ferry service between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland over the next five years.

Government officials in North Sydney, N.S., where the ferries dock, said the newly announced money will be spent primarily on improving Marine Atlantic's port facilities.

The docking facilities in Port-aux-Basques, southwestern Newfoundland, are slated for a $31-million upgrade and the company's Argentia docking facility in southeastern Newfoundland is expected to receive $4 million for renovations.

North Sydney's facility is slated to receive $36 million to redevelop its ferry terminal site.

An additional $13 million will be spent on what officials called emerging projects, such as improvement s to information technology infrastructure.

Earlier this year, the federal government announced that it has allocated $308 million to refit and upgrade Marine Atlantic's ferry vessels and $145 million for general operating expenses.

"The entire fleet will have more than 50 per cent more capacity on the freight side. It's a refit of the entire fleet, but then if you're going to do the job right, you have to do something with the onshore [facilities] to make sure safety is paramount," said Rob Merrifield, federal minister of state for transport.

• 2 weeks later...
Based on concept drawings, Wikipedia research, and a Google Images search, the new ships would be the former MS Stena Traveller and MS Stena Trader.

See a couple of posts above and these two were already named.

• 2 months later...
Marine Atlantic has announced that the new vessels entering service in 2011 will be named the: MV BLUE PUTTEES and the MV HIGHLANDER (nicknames for Millitary Regiments.......the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and the Cape Breton Highlanders)

Sadly I have to wonder how many will get the Blue Puttees reference. I did because I have a history degree and have studied WW1.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The M V Caribou arrived in North Sydney at 1730hrs, Nov.26/10. The vessel finished offloading at 1830hrs.

At this time the Caribou was removed from service with Marine Atlantic and will be offered for sale.

The end of a era.

The new vessels, Blue Puttees/Stena Trader and Highlanders/Stena Traveller, have a huge job ahead.

GOOD LUCK TO BOTH

M V Blue Puttees at the Lloyd Werft shipyard. Final arrangements are being made for her crossing to Canada. Her first Canadian port of call will be Port aux Basques followed by North Sydney. The plan is to have the vessel enter service with Marine Atlantic mid February.

Kasco

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...