Centro (Central New York RTA)

RailBus63

Damn, it looks good! I will pay attention at next home game but I didn't catch 9977 doing Call-A-Bus like it always does. Might have just missed it or work was being done on it. I did see 540 doing it though. 9977, while it was running amazingly with the DD S50 last time I got it, would be a fantastic contender for an engine rebuild in the future. Really glad to see it is getting such good care from Centro.

The 35 foot Vs seem to be happy too, and are frequently seen especially on the 84 Mattydale, 72 East Colvin, and 544 Sky Hall Shuttle at SU.

It has a Cummins L10 engine - not sure if it's original but I believe it is.

9977 was one of the buses running the Call-A-Bus shuttles for today's football game - looks really good.

9977 flew past me on Comstock last night. Caught a quick glimpse of it from a D40LF. I agree. The new Centro paint looks better on a V than any other bus they put it on, if you ask me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Whats being replaced? probably Gillig...

Whatever happened to that option order off Akron Metro?

I think that the Akron order, which will come in a couple months, is intended to replace the 35 foot Orion Vs even though the CNG Gilligs are 40 foot. This five year one should take care of the 2005 New Flyers. While Gillig is my best guess, I would really like to see Centro with Xcelsiors or even Novas (doubt it).

Correct - the 40-foot Gillig CNG's from the Akron option order should replace the Orion V 35-footers (#2378-2382). The five-year order would be to replace the 2004 through 2008 New Flyers and Gilligs. Unless CNYRTA splits the order across two manufacturers, Nova is likely out since Centro will be ordering 30-foot and/or 35-foot buses as part of these procurements.

Correct - the 40-foot Gillig CNG's from the Akron option order should replace the Orion V 35-footers (#2378-2382). The five-year order would be to replace the 2004 through 2008 New Flyers and Gilligs. Unless CNYRTA splits the order across two manufacturers, Nova is likely out since Centro will be ordering 30-foot and/or 35-foot buses as part of these procurements.

I see. Forgot that that knocked Nova out. I will miss 2378-2382. They bark loud and bounce in the back but seem to be liked by the drivers who use them on SU Sky Hall Shuttle.

Presumably Nova would be out because they only offer 40-footers, but Centro could split the order as other transit agencies have done.

Those Orion V 35-footers must have pretty low mileage. Besides the SU shuttle work, there aren't too many routes they run on a regular basis due to their shorter length. 84 Mattydale and 152 Court Industrial Park are two they are often on. It's been years since I've seen a 2300 out on a weekend. Not surprising that Centro is replacing them with 40-foot buses.

• 3 months later...

2517 and 2534 are the latest New Flyer LF's spotted in the new paint scheme.

They are still plugging away with the body work on those I see... One diesel and one CNG. Those buses would be eligible for retirement next year, so at least Centro will be able to get a good few more years out of them.

They are still plugging away with the body work on those I see... One diesel and one CNG. Those buses would be eligible for retirement next year, so at least Centro will be able to get a good few more years out of them.

Centro's current budget calls for replacing the 2005 New Flyer buses in the 2018 fiscal year, so they have a few more years to go. The diesels could stay even longer if capital funding is slow to materialize.

I am glad the corrosion is getting fixed, not to mention how great these buses look in the new Centro paint. Despite some problems (corrosion, broken rear door wiring casing, loose lightbox panels, and annoying seating layout with the now-disabled forward facing front seats), they are some very strong buses. As much as I like new buses, those should stick around for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2010 Orion CNGs have a lower average distance between breakdowns, but not sure if Centro records the statistics.

As a side note, I hope they fix the CLASS rear door system on those 2010s (and some of the Gilligs), so you don't have to hear "doors closing" every time someone passes under the sensor with the door open.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

On Sunday April 10th, I will be going through the US to get back to Montreal and passing through Syracuse, New York. Is there a good place to get some pictures.

Thanks

The Downtown Transit Terminal

The good news is, Centro operates on a pulse schedule where all of the buses meet at the downtown Centro Hub terminal. The bad news is, on Sundays those meets are 80 minutes apart (6:20 a.m., 7:40, 9:00, 10:20, 11:40, 1:00 p.m., 2:20; 3:40, 5:00, 6:20, etc.).

On a Sunday, most of what you will see in Syracuse are the 1000-series and 1200-series Orion VII's. Slight chance of seeing a Gillig or New Flyer but the Orions pretty much dominate the weekend runs. If you can plan it, the best Sunday meets are at 10:20, 1:00 and 6:20 because those include the Auburn and Oswego regional routes which use MCI cruisers.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - CNYRTA has placed an order with Gillig for 42 CNG buses to replace the 2005 New Flyer D40LF's and C40LF's.  The order is contingent on available funding, so it could be cut back to fewer buses or cancelled entirely if no funding is available.