RailBus63

Centro (Central New York RTA)

According to the February 2020 board meeting materials on the CNYRTA website, Centro is considering a transition from diesel to CNG for the Oneida County operations in Utica and Rome.  This would be contingent on the successful completion of a new bus garage project that is under study.  This would replace the current facilities in those two cities with a new consolidated garage, likely in the Marcy or Oriskany area which is geographically between the two systems.  The new garage would potentially be equipped with a CNG refueling facility.  Savings would be estimated at $400,000 annually over current operations and $4,850,000 over the full life cycle of a new CNG fleet.  Centro is preparing specifications for a new five-year transit bus procurement contract that will allow for up to 112 new buses to be purchased. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

According to the February 2020 board meeting materials on the CNYRTA website, Centro is considering a transition from diesel to CNG for the Oneida County operations in Utica and Rome.  This would be contingent on the successful completion of a new bus garage project that is under study.  This would replace the current facilities in those two cities with a new consolidated garage, likely in the Marcy or Oriskany area which is geographically between the two systems.  The new garage would potentially be equipped with a CNG refueling facility.  Savings would be estimated at $400,000 annually over current operations and $4,850,000 over the full life cycle of a new CNG fleet.  Centro is preparing specifications for a new five-year transit bus procurement contract that will allow for up to 112 new buses to be purchased. 

Finally! A move to a fuel source OTHER than 100% electric. I guess Centro wants to be more like their downstate counterpart (AKA NICE bus).

3 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

I wonder if this is going to mean the pooling of 35 foot buses over to rome instead of continuing the operation of 30 footers...

They only have the 08 BRT Gilligs and that one 2012 07.503 right?

On 2/22/2020 at 7:20 PM, Orion6025 said:

I wonder if this is going to mean the pooling of 35 foot buses over to rome instead of continuing the operation of 30 footers...

They only have the 08 BRT Gilligs and that one 2012 07.503 right?

Yes, but they are purchasing three new 29-foot buses from Gillig to replace the BRT's. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2020 at 12:23 AM, Orion6025 said:

Welp Centro 9977 is on public surplus. Looks like that's the end of that...

I thought this might happen - hadn't seen it in service lately.  Looks like engine issues did it in, plus I wouldn't be surprised if the reduced fleet requirements from the Syracuse University shutdown played a factor as well.  It had a good run. 

Interestingly, previous retirements of CNG buses by Centro included notations that the bus was non-operable and the CNG tanks had been drilled through to prevent refueling.  Nothing on this auction notice about that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

On 3/13/2020 at 12:23 AM, Orion6025 said:

Welp Centro 9977 is on public surplus. Looks like that's the end of that...

I thought this might happen - hadn't seen it in service lately.  Looks like engine issues did it in, plus I wouldn't be surprised if the reduced fleet requirements from the Syracuse University shutdown played a factor as well.  It had a good run

Yep 9977 had a good run. Got to live its full life and then some. Maybe not as much as long as the 1992 orion 5 previously used for call a bus but certainly much longer than “prescribed” I guess lol.

Just as well, IIRC Centro still has at least one D30LF and two D40LFs on property since I last checked (granted that was late august 2019...) so those could take over for 9977’s duties I suppose. Gonna be hard getting some limited mobility folks up steps to the rear portion I imagine though...

On 3/15/2020 at 11:20 AM, Orion6025 said:

Just as well, IIRC Centro still has at least one D30LF and two D40LFs on property since I last checked (granted that was late august 2019...) so those could take over for 9977’s duties I suppose. Gonna be hard getting some limited mobility folks up steps to the rear portion I imagine though...

They have the small number of New Flyers that ran during the State Fair last August-September - 2500, 2505, 2506, 2507 and 2519, plus C40LF's 2526 and 2532.  I haven't seen any of those on the scrap list, but I also haven't seen any of them in service.  I hope they are in the contingency fleet.  

2 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

They have the small number of New Flyers that ran during the State Fair last August-September - 2500, 2505, 2506, 2507 and 2519, plus C40LF's 2526 and 2532.  I haven't seen any of those on the scrap list, but I also haven't seen any of them in service.  I hope they are in the contingency fleet.  

Well they had a bunch of Flyers parked over on the south side along with 9977. Some of the ones you just mentioned, a 1996 MCI, were ahead of the dead 07 hybrids. The fact that they haven’t been listed probably means they’re a contingency fleet? If not for regular service days them holding them as spares for the 2020 fair (similar to what Minnesota does).

18 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Well they had a bunch of Flyers parked over on the south side along with 9977. Some of the ones you just mentioned, a 1996 MCI, were ahead of the dead 07 hybrids. The fact that they haven’t been listed probably means they’re a contingency fleet? If not for regular service days them holding them as spares for the 2020 fair (similar to what Minnesota does).

The 1996 MCI's have been held for State Fair service the past few years.  I haven't seen the New Flyers parked on that side, but the last time I drove by the garage was in January.  I did see ex-Utica Gillig #2721 parked over there. 

1 hour ago, RailBus63 said:

The 1996 MCI's have been held for State Fair service the past few years.  I haven't seen the New Flyers parked on that side, but the last time I drove by the garage was in January.  I did see ex-Utica Gillig #2721 parked over there. 

Idk that was back in August so things have definitely changed since then. FWIW, here's an image I shot over there wwith a Flyer peeking out behind 9977.

I believe I have shots of the D40LF unobstructed by 9977 but those aren't easily on hand. If I get some time over the next couple days I can see if I do. I was more focused on 9977 than anything though and the fence wasn't doing me many favors so..

• Like 4

Nice shot!  New Flyer #2519 was parked a little further down the row right before the Fair began - I took a similar 'through the fence' shot of it since I didn't have any shots of that bus in the new scheme yet. 

• Thanks 1

In response to the Covid-19 outbreak, Centro is requiring all able-bodied passengers to exit via the rear door, with front-door exiting to be used only by riders who use mobility devices.  All entry remains through the front door for now.  To help implement this policy, two-door transit buses will be used on the longer Auburn-Syracuse and Oswego-Syracuse routes which normally use MCI cruisers.  Right now they are using Gillig diesels (2008, 2009 and 2018 models).  There is no shortage of buses since Syracuse University is closed down and there are no school runs for the city high schools either.  The Auburn, Fulton, Oswego and Rome local routes are still using various single-door 30-foot buses.  

• Thanks 1

Auburn's been breaking the rule a bit. Earlier around 2 shortly after the announcement they had 1803 and 693 out, and rn 1705, 1809, and 695 are plying the Aub38/138. Oswego's was following it but now 686 is out (2802 being the other bus).

On 3/20/2020 at 9:27 AM, RailBus63 said:

Orion VII ex-demo 1268 has joined in the fun on Osw246 along with 2802.  2900 and 2902 are doing Aub236. 

Is #1268  CNG or a diesel? NG or EPA10 3G?

1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

Is #1268  CNG or a diesel? NG or EPA10 3G?

1267 and 1268 are EPA10 diesels.  Ex-Orion demonstrators PT3 and PT4, still in green demo paint.

All Centro routes officially fare-free now, with rear-door boarding except for those who need the front-door lift or kneeler.  Still operating regular weekday service despite a 55 percent drop in ridership in order to keep the vehicles from becoming overcrowded. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like 1807-1809 and 2900-2902 are in Auburn to operate the intercity route to Syracuse (this division usually has one 2800 or 2900 Gillig suburban along with the MCI's).   Green Orions 1267 and 1268 seem to be the regular buses right now on the Oswego to Syracuse route.