Centro (Central New York RTA)

RailBus63

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Gillig hybrid #2702 (battery issue) and the four 2009 Ameritrans cutaways (#2945-2948) are up for auction.  Those cutaways haven't been on the road for a few years - the last time I recall seeing one in service was back when Centro was still doing the Syracuse University quad shuttle before SU contracted that route to Birnie Bus.  

8 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

Gillig hybrid #2702 (battery issue) and the four 2009 Ameritrans cutaways (#2945-2948) are up for auction.  Those cutaways haven't been on the road for a few years - the last time I recall seeing one in service was back when Centro was still doing the Syracuse University quad shuttle before SU contracted that route to Birnie Bus.  

Are there any Orion 5 CNGs left up there?

12 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Is it active? If so, it's probably is not only the last Orion V CNG in the state of New York, but the entire east coast. As you know, NICE bus retired all of theirs.

Yep, still active.  It is mostly used on school trippers but does see occasional use on regular routes.  It has survived because it has longitudinal seating with wheelchair securements running the length of the bus, so it can be used on special charters for disabled patrons.

I think you are correct about it being the last Orion V CNG bus on the East Coast now that NICE has retired theirs.  I also believe that it is the oldest active transit bus used by a transit agency in New York state along with NFTA's Nova LFS's (despite its '99-' number,  9977 and its sisters were built in early 2000).

6 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Trackable?

Yes - the school routes have 800 and 900-series routes numbers and do show up on Centro's online bus tracker and all buses in service on a scheduled route are viewable, showing the bus number.  Morning runs are roughly from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m., afternoon runs from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 9:37 AM, RailBus63 said:

Yep, still active.  It is mostly used on school trippers but does see occasional use on regular routes.  It has survived because it has longitudinal seating with wheelchair securements running the length of the bus, so it can be used on special charters for disabled patrons.

I think you are correct about it being the last Orion V CNG bus on the East Coast now that NICE has retired theirs.  I also believe that it is the oldest active transit bus used by a transit agency in New York state along with NFTA's Nova LFS's (despite its '99-' number,  9977 and its sisters were built in early 2000).

Oh, so they were similar to MTA Long Island bus's #1526-1632 (formerly #288-395) which were also 2000 Orion 5.501 CNGs.

20 hours ago, Chris.A said:

Oh, so they were similar to MTA Long Island bus's #1526-1632 (formerly #288-395) which were also 2000 Orion 5.501 CNGs.

Yes - 9977 and its former sister buses also had the Series 50 CNG powerplant.  The main exterior difference was the doors, since LI Bus spec'd those odd front doors instead of Orion's standard slide-glide doors and the Centro buses had a double-width rear door versus the single-width door on the Long Island buses.  

22 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

Yes - 9977 and its former sister buses also had the Series 50 CNG powerplant.  The main exterior difference was the doors, since LI Bus spec'd those odd front doors instead of Orion's standard slide-glide doors and the Centro buses had a double-width rear door versus the single-width door on the Long Island buses.  

Yeah, the bi-fold doors. TTC also had that spec'd on their Orion Vs and Orion V CNGs.

2907 is the first Centro of Oneida bus to be repainted in the 2012 scheme.  Probably not the only one for long, though - 1263 is running around in white with the blue and green waves removed.  Also, 2721 has a repainted front but the body has not been touched otherwise.  All of the other Gilligs in Utica and Rome are still in the old scheme for now. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 2:27 PM, edison said:

This year the State Fair is supposedly restructuring their park and rides to use existing Centro service. So as of now CDTA and NFTA will not be there to provide service. AFAIK RTS will still be present with about 4 buses.

Interesting - it may be a sign that the newer park & ride locations they tried last year weren't popular.  The East Syracuse location in particular (the one served in 2018 by NFTA) was quite a distance from the fairgrounds and may have been a net money-loser.  The Farrell Road site that was inaugurated in 2017 is the closest one to the fairgrounds and could easily be served by RTS's four buses. 

Speaking of the State Fair park & rides - the bus station at the fair is being moved to the west end of the fairgrounds.  It is a much larger site and is being paved and striped now, but it is on the opposite end from the main buildings so I wonder if that will impact ridership.  I'm also concerned about the amount of traffic that most buses will have to navigate to reach the entrance gate, unless the state police have a plan for bus-only lanes.

5 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

Interesting - it may be a sign that the newer park & ride locations they tried last year weren't popular.  The East Syracuse location in particular (the one served in 2018 by NFTA) was quite a distance from the fairgrounds and may have been a net money-loser.  The Farrell Road site that was inaugurated in 2017 is the closest one to the fairgrounds and could easily be served by RTS's four buses. 

Speaking of the State Fair park & rides - the bus station at the fair is being moved to the west end of the fairgrounds.  It is a much larger site and is being paved and striped now, but it is on the opposite end from the main buildings so I wonder if that will impact ridership.  I'm also concerned about the amount of traffic that most buses will have to navigate to reach the entrance gate, unless the state police have a plan for bus-only lanes.

I agree. I know some were complaining that using the park & ride they paid $4 per person where just parking at the fair was just $4 for parking. Not sure if that was the actual parking rate but I get their point where it is cheaper and more convenient to park at the fair. Only downside was the traffic, which isn't the worst thing in the world. Be interesting this year though... I was impressed how organized they were last year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1900-1911 have all been spotted in service thus far.  Since the 1900's entered service I haven't spotted any New Flyer buses in regular service, although the 2700-series Gillig hybrids are still showing up during rush hours.  Took a ride by the Centro facility in Syracuse this morning and saw #1912 alongside the building plus the two new 35-foot Gillig diesels for Oneida County - #1920 and 1921.  The final CNG in the order (#1913) was not seen but may have been elsewhere in the facility. 

Also saw #9977 sunning itself along with four New Flyer D40LF's (including the elusive #2519) and C40LF #2523.  All still were plated and had fareboxes from what I could see, so hopefully some or all will be back in service next week when the State Fair shuttle operations start. 

• Like 2

Effective Monday 8/26/2019, Centro has won back most of the Syracuse University shuttle routes that have been operated by Birnie Bus the past few years.  The route numbers will be:

145 – James St/Westcott St (replaces Birnie route 33 James/E. Genesee)
245 – Nob Hill (replaces Birnie route 31 Nob Hill)
243 – East Campus (replaces Birnie route 35 East Campus)
443X – Connective Corridor Express – College Place/Warehouse (replaces Birnie route 39D Warehouse Express Direct)

It appears Birnie will continue to operate several campus shuttles as well as two late night/Sunday routes.  It will be interesting to see if they keep the ex-San Jose Airport C40LF's.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

It will be interesting to see if they keep the ex-San Jose Airport C40LF's.

Are you talking about 101-106?  According to Auctions International, they were up for auction in May of 2019.
I can look to see if any of them were in fact, sold.

According their website, the purchases were approved to sell at the auction.  Someone appeared to grab five of them.

https://www.auctionsinternational.com/auction/business-surplus-birnie-bus-ny-17703-17703

7 hours ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

Are you talking about 101-106?  According to Auctions International, they were up for auction in May of 2019.
I can look to see if any of them were in fact, sold.

According their website, the purchases were approved to sell at the auction.  Someone appeared to grab five of them.

https://www.auctionsinternational.com/auction/business-surplus-birnie-bus-ny-17703-17703

Didn't know they already auctioned them off - thanks for the information. 

23 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

Effective Monday 8/26/2019, Centro has won back most of the Syracuse University shuttle routes that have been operated by Birnie Bus the past few years.  The route numbers will be:

It appears Birnie will continue to operate several campus shuttles as well as two late night/Sunday routes.  It will be interesting to see if they keep the ex-San Jose Airport C40LF's.

I always wondered where those buses were from. (Images from last year.)

20180826_200819[1].jpg

20180826_200834[1].jpg

• Like 2