RailBus63

Centro (Central New York RTA)

CNY Centro in Syracuse has begun receiving an order of 18 Orion VII Next Generation CNG buses. These buses were purchased with federal stimulus funds and will replace Centro's 1997 NovaBus RTS CNG buses.

Bus #1000 is the first bus delivered and is now in service. These photos were taken this morning in downtown Syracuse.

Centro1000_030610_JDevlin.jpg

Centro1000r_030610_JDevlin.jpg

Centro1000_030610_JDevlin.jpg

Centro1000r_030610_JDevlin.jpg

post-41-1267923339_thumb.jpg

post-41-1267923350_thumb.jpg

post-41-1267923339_thumb.jpg

post-41-1267923350_thumb.jpg

CNY Centro in Syracuse has begun receiving an order of 18 Orion VII Next Generation CNG buses. These buses were purchased with federal stimulus funds and will replace Centro's 1997 NovaBus RTS CNG buses.

Bus #1000 is the first bus delivered and is now in service. These photos were taken this morning in downtown Syracuse.

Oooo gorgeous bus.. nice photos.

Very nice... I'm looking forward to my next visit to Syracuse. ;)

Looking good, although I would have continued the stripes all the way around the back of the bus (reference the second photo, where the D40LF in front has an approximation of such a stripe.)

Nice shots and bus.I think though they could have done without those two brake light strips on the engine door though.

Several additional buses are now in service - I spotted 1004, 1005 and 1007 this morning. The production buses have an Orion logo on the back, at the bottom right of the black area above the taillamps.

Centro also recently took delivery of a new Orion VII diesel bus for its Rome system. Orion’s plant is just up the road in Oriskany, so it would not have been politically acceptable to buy a Gillig for this operation (Centro used an available option from DART in Des Moines). The bus is numbered 1019 just above the new Syracuse CNG buses, and here it is arriving at the George Street terminal in downtown Rome on Saturday:

mid_Centro1019_080710_JDevlin.jpg

(Click on the image to see a larger version).

Jim

Awesome catch of it. How many of those Orion VII Next Generation 35ft diesels are in the fleet? And does the Rome service serves the some part suburban community there?

There’s just the one 35-foot NG for now - it replaced a 1995 Orion V. There are also five 1999 Orion V 30-footers assigned there.

The Rome system consists of six local routes serving the city (population 33,443). It is operated as part of CNYRTA's Centro of Oneida subsidiary along with the Utica operation. It was taken over by Centro in 2005 and was previously known as VIP Transportation, a city-owned operation. There are no Centro routes connecting Rome with the rest of the system (intercity bus service to Utica and Syracuse is operated by Birnie Bus Service).

Buzz2kb   
There’s just the one 35-foot NG for now - it replaced a 1995 Orion V. There are also five 1999 Orion V 30-footers assigned there.

The Rome system consists of six local routes serving the city (population 33,443). It is operated as part of CNYRTA's Centro of Oneida subsidiary along with the Utica operation. It was taken over by Centro in 2005 and was previously known as VIP Transportation, a city-owned operation. There are no Centro routes connecting Rome with the rest of the system (intercity bus service to Utica and Syracuse is operated by Birnie Bus Service).

So what buses do they use in Utica? Thanks!

So what buses do they use in Utica? Thanks!

1999 Orion V 05.503 - # 583-604 (ex-Utica Transit Authority, same numbers)

2007 Gillig 35-foot Low-Floor - # 2720-2721

2009 Gillig 35-foot Low-Floor - # 2905-2908

Centro's downtown Syracuse transfer hub is scheduled to open on Tuesday September 4th. Some routes will be re-routed onto new streets through the downtown area to get to and from the terminal. Details and maps available on the Centro website - http://www.centro.org/

Centro's new Orion VII CNG buses have been introduced to service this weekend on the State Fair park & ride shuttle services in Syracuse. The buses feature a new paint scheme and slogan for the authority, and also a surprise from Orion - LED headlights.

CNY Centro #1208 departing the shuttle station at the fairgrounds:

7868541566_08b76b68fd_b.jpg

Jim D.

MAX BRT   

Yeah, the headlights were the first thing I noticed. Is the Xcelsior now the only new bus with a full headlamp look? (As opposed to tiny circles as in this bus, Gillig BRT, NABI BRT, Nova LFS, etc.)

Thanks for the photo!

edison   

Sharp looking bus. One of the few upstate agencies with a little something different. Wonder how the newer generation Orion buses are holding up for them. I kind of hoped they would be able to stay away from Gillig, and maybe go with Nova, who has a plant in New York State as well. But the Orion plant was alot closer than the NovaBus plant is. And probably unlikely with all the shorter buses they purchase for Rome and Utica.

Yeah, the headlights were the first thing I noticed. Is the Xcelsior now the only new bus with a full headlamp look? (As opposed to tiny circles as in this bus, Gillig BRT, NABI BRT, Nova LFS, etc.)

Well I think the LFS still has the option for the large single headlight, instead of the small projector headlamps.