AC Transit Bus vs. Train Crash

DE40LFR

An AC Transit Van Hool AG300 was SPLIT IN HALF by an oncoming train after an engine failure on the tracks.

From ABC News.

OAKLAND, CA -- An AC Transit bus was hit by an Amtrak train near the Oakland Coliseum. The crash happened at about 6:30 a.m. in the area of 66th Avenue and San Leandro Street.

AC Transit says the bus stalled on the tracks. The driver managed to get out within the four minutes before the train hit the bus.There was no one else on the bus. There were 40 passengers on the train. No one on board was injured.

The Capitol Corridor train was on its way to San Jose. Crews are now trying to keep diesel fuel that spilled from the bus from going into a nearby estuary.

The Oakland police and fire departments are responding to the scene.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=...&id=7308565

Haha... ya! Good thing there was enough time for the passengers to get out of the bus before the train hit!

Apparently the bus driver was the only occupant on the bus.

In Edmonton (several years ago) a D60LF slid on some ice and snow coming into Southgate Transit Center, hit a traction pole and split in half. Well almost. It may have been hanging together by a couple of wires.

Apparently the bus driver was the only occupant on the bus.

In Edmonton (several years ago) a D60LF slid on some ice and snow coming into Southgate Transit Center, hit a traction pole and split in half. Well almost. It may have been hanging together by a couple of wires.

It was more so one side was ripped open. A good 2/3 of the fabric portion was intact. I do have photos, but not typically something I post publicly.

It was more so one side was ripped open. A good 2/3 of the fabric portion was intact. I do have photos, but not typically something I post publicly.

I was exaggerating a bit when I said hanging together by a couple of wires. You could say the incident created another set of middle doors :P

While not technically the same as the entire bus splitting in half, I do remember having an experience riding a bus when the articulated joint was damaged. I was riding a D60LF to downtown after a previous deep freeze, and the driver didn't slow down before driving on a black ice patch causing the bus to jackknife.

The joint fabric was ripped open and gashed pretty badly by a tree branch that almost went across the middle joint. Fortunately for the kids sitting in the middle, they jumped out before they were hurt by the branch. We were evacuated and the route was eventually finished by a 40 footer. The damage wasn't so bad that it damaged the bus itself, so I'm sure they replaced the joint fabric and it's back on the road these days.