North American Bus Industries

• 2 months later...

Interesting data point, NABI is building 12 buses per week in 2013:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/flyer-announces-second-quarter-2013-110000317.html

"Management expects NABI Bus to build at an average line entry rate of approximately 12 EUs per production week at the Anniston, Al production facilities for the remainder of fiscal 2013."

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that's a large (largest ever?) order for BRT42

I think LA Metro has 5, Foothill Transit has maybe 55, and LAWA has 10.

I did not realize just how rare these are but the wiki confirms it. You only forgot to include Broward County--which has 14 made in 2011 and 10 from 2012.

According to the wiki, no 42 BRT buses have been sold with diesel only powerplants. All have been hybrids or CNG.

Thank you for sharing. Its a real good looking bus. I'm surprised they haven't sold more. Must cost more than the Gillig BRT.

Probably... although Gillig BRT is a much newer bus and was probably never involved in competitive bidding against BRT42.

When NABI BRT first came out, there was nothing like it but few agency bought it because it was more expensive than the LFW... hard to justify the cost just to look different.

NABI caught a break out west with CNG on 60ft version, which was the only artic CNG available. All BRT42 operators that I know of are BRT60 operators first. They probably bought BRT42 to provide some fleet or service commonality with larger BRT60 fleet... or maybe NABI gave them a good deal.

Here is a photo of the LAWA BRT42 in FlyAway livery

DSC00327.jpg

Interesting about how it was the first 60 footer with CNG.

Any BRT lines use this bus, maybe at Foothill Transit? Its made to order for that.

I prefer it to the Gillig all around. I don't prefer the rear fender (is that what its called?) but I don't mind it, especially if its used to differentiate a BRT line bus from a regular bus on a regular route.

PS I love the photo, thank you

Foothill uses BRT42 mostly on freeway service on I-10 between Pomona and Downtown LA, in conjunction with BRT60.

The wheel covers are optional. LA Metro BRT42 had covers on both front and rear wheels. Foothill and LAWA only had them on the rear wheels.

5911707998_95c35f2a39_z.jpg

6981319709_f5b7f5cb11_z.jpg

8152948230_3a4fdd6f0f_z.jpg

7012548013_d59144d201_z.jpg

Probably... although Gillig BRT is a much newer bus and was probably never involved in competitive bidding against BRT42.

When NABI BRT first came out, there was nothing like it but few agency bought it because it was more expensive than the LFW... hard to justify the cost just to look different.

NABI caught a break out west with CNG on 60ft version, which was the only artic CNG available. All BRT42 operators that I know of are BRT60 operators first. They probably bought BRT42 to provide some fleet or service commonality with larger BRT60 fleet... or maybe NABI gave them a good deal.

Here is a photo of the LAWA BRT42 in FlyAway livery

DSC00327.jpg

The Gillig BRT has been in production since 2005. The NABI BRT began production in 2008.

• 2 months later...

Foothill Transit is getting yet more 42-BRT buses (excercising options for 30 additional buses).

http://www.newflyer....s_transit_award

Press release says that The 42-BRT was derived from NABI’s larger, 60-foot articulated BRT. This fits with bzcat's comment (page 7) that all BRT42 operators he knew of were BRT60 operators first.

Maybe this info could be added to the wiki?

• 4 months later...

Nabi has a new look to their website... Link. Looks like they are not advertising the SFW anymore.

Yep, on the latest update since 2008, they're only consolidating up to 2 model of buses LFW and BRT. NJ Transit is indeed the final and only customer for the 2nd Generation NABI 416 SFW High Flor bus order.

As of now, the other known manufacturers that continues to built transit heavy duty high floor buses is Eldorado National from one of the smaller bus manfacturer corporation. That is the XHF model marked for 12 year operational life. Don't know if NJT's future would be from there given the history of ordering High Floor buses, but since they recently got 2nd NABI 31-LFW, it is a doubt if they would go low floor....