North American Bus Industries

They have been in financial danger since at least 2011.... I don't know the seriousness and what the future holds for the company but they are in a worse situation than Orion has been. Guess we will find out this year!

Interestingly, the Valley Metro RPTA contract with New Flyer expires in July. With the eventual replacement of Tempe's NABI 45C-LFWs already planned, this could be the opportunity for NABI to win back the RPTA as a customer.

• 2 weeks later...

Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority (Birmingham, Alabama) has awarded New Flyer a contract for 50 Xcelsior compressed natural gas (“CNG”) 40-foot heavy-duty buses.

http://www.newflyer....irmingham_award

The five year contract contains a firm order of 20 CNG buses with three options of up to 10 CNG buses each. In addition to the firm order for 20 buses, BJCTA is also exercising 10 option buses at this time. The 30 CNG buses are anticipated to begin production in the second quarter of 2013. All buses are expected to be delivered by the third quarter of 2013.

BJCTA is in the process of replacing its entire fleet with state of the art compressed natural gas buses for the benefit of its riders and continuing its commitment to air quality and pollution control,” said Ann Dawson August, Executive Director for Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority. “Partnering with New Flyer on this project was a smart and simple decision.”

“This is BJCTA’s first order of New Flyer buses,” said Paul Soubry, President and CEO of New Flyer.

--

Kind of interesting because BJCTA last bought from NABI (in 2010) and NABI has a plant (jobs) in Alabama.

Of course from what I know about Alabama and transit, they do not provide any state funding for bus purchases.

Rare article on NABI here:

http://www.masstransitmag.com/news/10862337/al-local-manufacturer-receives-210m-order-from-texas

The article makes it sound like the huge Dallas DART order just happened. ("a $210 million contract to build hundreds of natural gas-fueled buses for the Dallas Area Rapid Transit, or DART.")

--

Bill Coryell, vice president of sales for the NABI western region, said while the company will not be hiring more people to make the buses, the order will keep employees quite busy through 2015, when the contract is complete. NABI employs more than 600 people.

The contract is welcome news to a company that, like many industries, has struggled amid a sluggish economy in recent years.

"It hasn't been horrible for us, but it's been a little on the slow side," Coryell said.

Coryell noted that demand for natural gas-fueled buses has increased considerably in the past 10 years.

"Roughly half of whatever we produce now uses natural gas," Coryell said.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for curiosity, if NABI decides to shutter operations, where this will leave NJT, the only TA in the United States still buying high-floor buses? Don't think they will give another run with Millennium. ElDorado XHF perhaps?

I heard after the NJT order NABI is looking at stop offering highfloors unless its for another large order like NJT's

Just for curiosity, if NABI decides to shutter operations, where this will leave NJT, the only TA in the United States still buying high-floor buses? Don't think they will give another run with Millennium. ElDorado XHF perhaps?

By the time NJT needs another major order of buses, they may decide it's time to LF it anyways. I seriously wonder if anyone besides NABI would even bid on an IFB/RFP for heavy-duty 40' standard floor buses anymore? Of course if you wave around enough $$$ then you could probably even get someone to start building Fishbowls again. Still, the MTS hopefuls aside, the high floor era is done.

By the time NJT needs another major order of buses, they may decide it's time to LF it anyways. I seriously wonder if anyone besides NABI would even bid on an IFB/RFP for heavy-duty 40' standard floor buses anymore? Of course if you wave around enough $$$ then you could probably even get someone to start building Fishbowls again. Still, the MTS hopefuls aside, the high floor era is done.

They already went with LF order on their 30 FT RTS replacement order. They ordered 39 NABI 31-LFW's

Just for curiosity, if NABI decides to shutter operations, where this will leave NJT, the only TA in the United States still buying high-floor buses?

NABI's vice president of sales said in the news stories about the DART order that they have enough business to keep the plant busy through 2015, so there doesn't seem to be any danger of closing before the NJT order is complete.

NABI's vice president of sales said in the news stories about the DART order that they have enough business to keep the plant busy through 2015, so there doesn't seem to be any danger of closing before the NJT order is complete.

That sounds about right as long as they get orders by the 2nd half of 2014 they will be fine. They still have more then half of the current LAMTA order of 150 45 Ft contract to finish, plus the NJT and DART orders plus the smaller orders still in the books.

That sounds about right as long as they get orders by the 2nd half of 2014 they will be fine.

Otherwise, as far as I can tell they are still owned by Cerberus. So it's likely that if they don't get any major orders by then, and hence not worth holding as an investment, it's bye-bye NABI as far as they're concerned.

I hope NABI stays in business and even gets a bit more popular with the LFW 3rd gen. It looks like a good model.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

CTA Settles with Bus Manufacturer

CHICAGO — The CTA ended a legal battle with the manufacturer of 226 buses, which were taken out of service in 2009 because of cracks found in them.

Under the settlement announced Monday, the CTA will receive between $31.25 million and $36.25 million over five years from the Alabama-based North American Bus Industries, Inc., which delivered the accordion-style buses to Chicago between 2003 and 2005.

The buses were taken off the streets in 2009 when one of the buses was found to have structural cracks in it, according to NBC 5 Chicago.

The manufacturer had sued the CTA for stopping payments on the buses.

http://www.dnainfo.c...r#ixzz2QNh7s66g

I hope it is the 40LFW and 45LFW, those CompoBuses look like Jetson buses, don't like the look, IMO.

I like the Compobus look myself, but according to the wiki they are not built in the US, which creates a problem if using federal funds.

Anyone know what the W stands for in LFW?

I like the Compobus look myself, but according to the wiki they are not built in the US, which creates a problem if using federal funds.

Anyone know what the W stands for in LFW?

The bodies are made in Eastern Europe. As long as the steel is American made since the bus is assembled in the USA it could be purchased with Federal funds.

None of that has anything to do with whether it qualifies for Federal funding or not.

A case needs to be made that these buses are superior than any product made in North America. And since there are no directly competing products in the US, they can be made to qualify if the case is made.

That's how LA has been able to order Compobuses, and that's how San Francisco managed to get some Federal Funding for their Van Hools. And also why Dennis has been fairly successful with the Enviro500.

Dan

None of that has anything to do with whether it qualifies for Federal funding or not.

A case needs to be made that these buses are superior than any product made in North America. And since there are no directly competing products in the US, they can be made to qualify if the case is made.

That's how LA has been able to order Compobuses, and that's how San Francisco managed to get some Federal Funding for their Van Hools. And also why Dennis has been fairly successful with the Enviro500.

Dan

Thanks, that makes good sense. I always wondered how US agencies ended up with Enviro500 buses built elsewhere. But there are always loopholes in the laws.

According to the Wiki, there was a 2 year Buy America waiver for the Compobus (built in Hungary) which expired in March 2004 and was not renewed by the FTA. However, LA Metro bought more compobuses later using non-federal funds.

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=North_American_Bus_Industries_Metro_45C