Valley Metro (Phoenix)

ABQ RIDE

Gillig CNG. One year ago, the Transit Department was authorized to buy 40 of these. The lead time for these is just under a year.  Lead time for hybrids and electrics are 15+ months (and not getting any better). We won't be seeing any of these for a while.

2 hours ago, 3we said:

Gillig CNG. One year ago, the Transit Department was authorized to buy 40 of these. The lead time for these is just under a year.  Lead time for hybrids and electrics are 15+ months (and not getting any better). We won't be seeing any of these for a while.

Would you suppose these Gilligs are just like 5612-5644, except for being CNG?

2 hours ago, Phoenix Bus Channel said:

Would you suppose these Gilligs are just like 5612-5644, except for being CNG?

If I had to take a guess, I would anticipate these new buses being similar to the 2019-2020 diesel Gillig 40-foots, with the only difference being that they're CNG instead of diesel.

Hello all -

Long time lurker in this conversation. I was hoping someone may be able to explain what goes on with the liveries on the various buses throughout the Valley. I'm in Tucson so Phoenix is the only place I can see variety in both bus types and color schemes.

Are the buses provided different liveries based on the operating agency or something else? Like is Valley Metro constantly rebranding?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, TrafficMike said:

Hello all -

Long time lurker in this conversation. I was hoping someone may be able to explain what goes on with the liveries on the various buses throughout the Valley.

It's a conundrum.  Valley Metro is a brand name for the regional system, which really is several systems loosely tied together. The original paint scheme launched in 1994; Phoenix and Mesa buses were painted into that scheme.  Around 2009 Valley Metro decided to update its color palette and paint design. The new scheme appeared first on (RPTA buses) 6667 and 6668 (now retired), and later on the single-door express buses. City of Tempe, which at the time operated its own system under the Valley Metro banner, elected to go with the same design except for the green front and top and purple accent stripe (still in service).

Shortly after light rail opened, Valley Metro launched "Link", a BRT system which connected to light rail. These buses had the same design except purple front and green accent. Link eventually ended, a couple of the buses were painted into scheme "6667" while the others remained in original paint with "Valley Metro Link" titles changed to "Valley Metro Bus".

Fast forward to 2016, the first Gilligs arrive and a new scheme is adopted with a purple front and top. Two years later, new buses debut a modified scheme with less purple, and the addition of an indigo accent stripe.

But wait! We haven't talked about Phoenix buses. Its first new buses after 2003 were in 2014. It used the same color palette but used a different scheme, with much of the bus being white. Then in 2020, Phoenix changed to something more closely resembling RPTA, without the indigo.

At the same time new trains are being delivered and the original cars are being painted. It was intended for the buses and LRVs to share the same color scheme.

Additional color schemes are RAPID, which is Phoenix's branded express service, ORBIT (Tempe's circulator), and Scottsdale Trolley.

3 hours ago, 3we said:

It's a conundrum.  Valley Metro is a brand name for the regional system, which really is several systems loosely tied together. The original paint scheme launched in 1994; Phoenix and Mesa buses were painted into that scheme.  Around 2009 Valley Metro decided to update its color palette and paint design. The new scheme appeared first on (RPTA buses) 6667 and 6668 (now retired), and later on the single-door express buses. City of Tempe, which at the time operated its own system under the Valley Metro banner, elected to go with the same design except for the green front and top and purple accent stripe (still in service).

Shortly after light rail opened, Valley Metro launched "Link", a BRT system which connected to light rail. These buses had the same design except purple front and green accent. Link eventually ended, a couple of the buses were painted into scheme "6667" while the others remained in original paint with "Valley Metro Link" titles changed to "Valley Metro Bus".

Fast forward to 2016, the first Gilligs arrive and a new scheme is adopted with a purple front and top. Two years later, new buses debut a modified scheme with less purple, and the addition of an indigo accent stripe.

But wait! We haven't talked about Phoenix buses. Its first new buses after 2003 were in 2014. It used the same color palette but used a different scheme, with much of the bus being white. Then in 2020, Phoenix changed to something more closely resembling RPTA, without the indigo.

At the same time new trains are being delivered and the original cars are being painted. It was intended for the buses and LRVs to share the same color scheme.

Additional color schemes are RAPID, which is Phoenix's branded express service, ORBIT (Tempe's circulator), and Scottsdale Trolley.

Don't forget about the single green stripe scheme used on local Phoenix and RPTA buses from 2005-2010

8 hours ago, Ztonyg said:

There were a lot of buses (now I believe all or mostly all) retired that were painted into that scheme.

Only the 2009 L40LFR's (except for 6669, which has the 2011 Tempe green effective 6676) are in service wearing the 2005 paint scheme.

I intentionally left that out as I was concentrating on current schemes. On those L40LFRs, "Valley Metro" has been removed from the sides (remains on the back), and Flash decals have been added. I suppose there are two Orbit schemes: the El Dorados are in a 6676 style scheme only blue, while the Gilligs are all blue (like the cutaways were).

On Rural Connector (685), the older buses are like 6667, while the newer ones are like the Valley Metro Excelsiors.

57 minutes ago, 3we said:

I intentionally left that out as I was concentrating on current schemes. On those L40LFRs, "Valley Metro" has been removed from the sides (remains on the back), and Flash decals have been added. I suppose there are two Orbit schemes: the El Dorados are in a 6676 style scheme only blue, while the Gilligs are all blue (like the cutaways were).

On Rural Connector (685), the older buses are like 6667, while the newer ones are like the Valley Metro Excelsiors.

Interesting enough is that 6671, 6672, and 6674 were never rebranded for the Flash and still have their original branding