Valley Metro (Phoenix)

ABQ RIDE

16 hours ago, Phoenix Bus Channel said:

7017 entered service this afternoon on the 573.

Since 7017 has debuted, will this bus replace 6497? My bet is 6497 as it wasn't used since the 18th of this month. There probably isn't a word as when TotalRide will collect 7018 yet.

2 hours ago, 3we said:

Looks like 1649 is back from the ARBOC factory.

1647 is up there now.

2 hours ago, The XDE60 said:

Since 7017 has debuted, will this bus replace 6497? My bet is 6497 as it wasn't used since the 18th of this month. There probably isn't a word as when TotalRide will collect 7018 yet.

I think it's a safe bet. I'll go further and assume that an eventual 7018 could possibly replace 6493.

42 minutes ago, 3we said:

RPTA wrote checks for another MCI on July 14, and two more on July 21. That should take it up to 7022.

With all three checks to be used for TotalRide's express routes? Sure that TotalRide is awaiting 7018.

20 hours ago, The XDE60 said:

With all three checks to be used for TotalRide's express routes? Sure that TotalRide is awaiting 7018.

If it wrote a check, title has been transferred. I'm not sure how buses get from North Dakota; I assume RPTA hires a transport company to drive them in. Presumably all would go to Discount Cab.

When/if the east side express service cuts take place, the vehicle requirement goes from 32 to 26 buses. I wonder if RPTA plans to use larger buses on routes that get reduced frequency?

7 hours ago, Phoenix Bus Channel said:

I found a video from the scene of an accident involving bus 5046 here: 

Considering this was around the time that 5046 was last online, I wonder if the bus got totaled from this accident.

I wouldn't be all surprised if 5046 is retired due to the wreck.

Tempe is going to split from RPTA and resume control of its system. Target is July 1, 2023 (when current RPTA/First Transit contract ends), but may be as late as January 1, 2024, if RPTA can get a six month extension on the existing contract).

9 minutes ago, 3we said:

Tempe is going to split from RPTA and resume control of its system. Target is July 1, 2023 (when current RPTA/First Transit contract ends), but may be as late as January 1, 2024, if RPTA can get a six month extension on the existing contract).

Will anything happen to the RPTA-owned buses at the Tempe facility as a result?

1 hour ago, 3we said:

I'd assume they would go back to Mesa (i.e. back to 2012). Things will become more clear once the RFP is issued for RPTA East Valley contract.

That would be interesting to see, considering that would include 6718-6733, 6811-6873, and 8511-8514, possibly among others. That would be a lot of extra buses to store at the Mesa facility.

6 hours ago, Phoenix Bus Channel said:

That would be interesting to see, considering that would include 6718-6733, 6811-6873, and 8511-8514, possibly among others. That would be a lot of extra buses to store at the Mesa facility.

Wonder what'll happen to the Tempe facility once the change takes effect...

9 hours ago, The XDE60 said:

Wonder what'll happen to the Tempe facility once the change takes effect...

Once again, back to 2012. There is that possibility that Tempe and RPTA will be operated by two different contractors (again).

According to the fleet list, Tempe only owns the green buses and the Orbits (although I saw a newer bus that said "Owner: City of Tempe"). I'm not sure that's going to be enough to cover the Tempe services. RPTA may have to loan out some XN40s to Tempe.  Also, there is no contract for bus purchases after this year; this may have been the reason why. But even if an IFB goes out this quarter, you won't see new buses off of it until 2024.

And I can see Tempe wanting to go all-electric. This is going to mean purchasing chargers and EV shop equipment for both Tempe and Mesa (assuming RPTA wants to dip its feet into EVs).

3 hours ago, Phoenix Bus Channel said:

7028 and 7029 have came online in the past 24 hours!!

I wonder if these two buses are replacing 8516 and 8518.

7028 and 7029 are East Valley express route buses. There's still no word as when 7018 (for TotalRide express routes) or 7020-7027 (likely mixed between TotalRide and the East Valley express routes) would debut yet.