ABQ RIDE

Valley Metro (Phoenix)

Here is a YouTube video of ex-bus 6514 (now privately owned by somebody in SoCal):

Edited by The XDE60
Wrong move
  • Like 1

Found something weird. As 6501 is to be sold on Saturday, it was listed as a "2010 American LaFrance Garbage Truck" rather than it saying "2007 New Flyer D40LF Transit Bus".

On 9/13/2020 at 2:56 PM, The XDE60 said:

Here is a YouTube video of ex-bus 6514 (now privately owned by somebody in SoCal):

Nice!

It's funny how comfortable that bus looking rolling up into a Metro facility.

Do I detect that the private owner has an affinity for OCTA? They had New Flyers with the "forward position" rear door numbered in the 5200s. Beyond the number itself, the number decal (font weight, position, color) is extremely reminiscent of OCTA spec. Coincidence??

Ugh. I never understood the reason for that awkwardly positioned rear door. Supposedly it had something to do with wheelchair access? I didn't buy that -- "regular" D40LFs were perfectly accessible without this unsightly adjustment. Glad that this spec has largely disappeared from the road -- in Phoenix, Orange County, Hamilton ON and a possible few other places that had it.

Thanks for sharing!

5 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Ugh. I never understood the reason for that awkwardly positioned rear door. Supposedly it had something to do with wheelchair access? I didn't buy that -- "regular" D40LFs were perfectly accessible without this unsightly adjustment. Glad that this spec has largely disappeared from the road -- in Phoenix, Orange County, Hamilton ON and a possible few other places that had it.

Some agencies that had lots of RTSs with rear door lifts chose rear door ramps when they went LF. Its dumb.

Lots of buses, let's get to:

*6501- $2,250

*6605- $6,500

*6617, 6636- $6,000

*6618- $6,250

*6633- $7,000

*6640- $6,750

*6641- $7,500

I wonder if in the next RFP Valley Metro may reconsider electric buses.  Valley Metro must be watching what is going on at SunTran in Tucson to see how their Gillig electric buses perform.  I know the BYD bus that Valley Metro tested failed miserably, but that doesn't mean electric buses from other manufacturers will necessarily have the same problem.

In September, it appears Phoenix picked up 7 more XD40s (from 5646).

The rest is a little sketchy. It looks like 3 XN40s, one of which is Rapid, the other two would be transits.

On 10/3/2020 at 12:19 PM, 3we said:

In September, it appears Phoenix picked up 7 more XD40s (from 5646).

The rest is a little sketchy. It looks like 3 XN40s, one of which is Rapid, the other two would be transits.

I looked at this again: It is 8 XD40s. Then 3 XN40s, all transits. Still a little sketchy on the XN40s, but I have seen up to 5277 in operation.

Saw 5651 on 44N this morning and 5277 (out of service) on 50W just a few minutes ago.

With Phoenix getting XN40's, 5275-5277 being Transdev, I am not sure if First Transit-West are getting these and what number it would start at.

On 10/13/2020 at 3:57 PM, The XDE60 said:

Saw 5651 on 44N this morning and 5277 (out of service) on 50W just a few minutes ago.

With Phoenix getting XN40's, 5275-5277 being Transdev, I am not sure if First Transit-West are getting these and what number it would start at.

It appears that 5278 is at West. No sign of any others yet.

Found something odd, when I saw 5241 on 29W today, it is the ONLY Phoenix Gillig to have its license plate holder on the right hand side - all the others have theirs on the left hand side. I don't know why though.

2 hours ago, The XDE60 said:

Found 5653 on 44S today. Anything higher?

5655 and 5656 this AM on the website; one of them was on route 80. 5654 is currently on 80.

1 hour ago, 3we said:

5655 and 5656 this AM on the website; one of them was on route 80. 5654 is currently on 80.

These seem to be coming in fast. It appears that the 6500s might all be retired by New Years. 

It seems like the Transdev - Phoenix and First Transit - Tempe (I'm not sure about other divisions) has updated the destination sign format.

The new format seems to have the route number to the far left and then 2 lines for the destination. For example:

NORTH TO

DEER VALLEY + 19TH AVE

1 hour ago, Ztonyg said:

It seems like the Transdev - Phoenix and First Transit - Tempe (I'm not sure about other divisions) has updated the destination sign format.

The new format seems to have the route number to the far left and then 2 lines for the destination. For example:

NORTH TO

DEER VALLEY + 19TH AVE

I have see First Transit-Phoenix West buses with that sign format.

23 minutes ago, The XDE60 said:

I have see First Transit-Phoenix West buses with that sign format.

I'm curious if they are standardizing the format across all divisions then.