ABQ RIDE

Valley Metro (Phoenix)

877 posts in this topic

El Dorado National is starting to make inroads in the 40ft transit bus market...I understand they recently won a contract with PACE in suburban Chicago for over 400 Axess buses over a five year period...also they now have hydrogren fuel technology which will give them a advantage in that market...they recently delivery a 40ft Axess model to SunLine Transit in Palm Springs, Ca...the CTA in Chicago will receive one in 2012.

I believe RPTA's contract with New Flyer runs another 2-3 years.

But Phoenix is expected to put out an RFP for new buses shortly. The plan is for 40/year for five years with deliveries beginning in 2013.

Phoenix uses the FTA's Best Practices Procurement Manual which scores bids based on four different categories (one being price). In one of the more recent bids (2006), Gillig requested a waiver to one of the specifications, so it scored lower than New Flyer (and was more expensive). [The spec had to do with Gillig wanting to put all three wheelchair locations ahead of the rear door, instead of relocating the door like on other Phoenix buses.] In the latest bid (2008, which El Dorado won), Gillig did not bid.

And the Phoenix RFP is on the street, proposals due January 26. Looking at a April1, 2012 - March 31, 2017 contract.

Sorry to bump, but anyone have an update on the Phoenix RFP?

According to this PDF:

http://www.valleymet..._TMC_packet.pdf

It looks like there are talks to unify the RPTA and Tempe divisions into one, unifying all ops in the East Valley.

I wonder, does anyone have an opinion on this? One thing that both divisions share in common is that they have a largely common fleet consisting of New Flyer and NABI buses (mostly C40LFRs and XX-LFW LNGs). I hope that with combined ops that they can provide better service in Gilbert.

So is Valley Metro dumping Veolia? Reading that link got boring lol

It looks like they are.

Seems that everyone wants to fire Veolia Transportation

One thing to wonder if the Tempe division is merged into RPTA: Who will be the main supplier of destination signs? RPTA seems to have a preference for TwinVision while Tempe seems to have a preference for Luminator.

Sorry to bump, but anyone have an update on the Phoenix RFP?

Deadline pushed back to March 8. All the usual suspects planning to bid. I wouldn't expect City Council approval until late April.

It looks like there are talks to unify the RPTA and Tempe divisions into one, unifying all ops in the East Valley.

Actually, it currently is two contracts. RPTA has a contract with Veolia to provide fixed route service (from the Mesa garage). City of Tempe also has a contract with Veolia to provide fixed route service (from the Tempe garage). The mileage rate on the two contracts are different (I believe Tempe is higher). RPTA also pays Tempe to operate some of its services (at the Tempe rate). If this plan goes through, then the new contract would operate the Tempe/RPTA services from both garages at a common rate. There could be some synergies, like no more hard fence...buses from either garage could be used on any route...think about ferrying the RPTA bus from Mesa to the west end of the University or Southern route first thing in the morning.

As far as Gilbert goes, they get what they pay for. If the city has funding for better service then it needs to pony up with RPTA.

It looks like they are.

The RPTA board preferred the Total Transit (Discount Cab) dial-a-ride bid since it would use taxicabs for some of its services. Also note that Total Transit will be providing all vehicles, so the existing Valley Metro East Valley Dial-a-Ride fleet will be gone this summer.

We'll see later this year what happens with the fixed route bid.

One thing to wonder if the Tempe division is merged into RPTA: Who will be the main supplier of destination signs? RPTA seems to have a preference for TwinVision while Tempe seems to have a preference for Luminator.

Well in my opinion, Luminator would be the best option, but that's just me...

Well in my opinion, Luminator would be the best option, but that's just me...

When I lived in the Albuquerque area, ABQ RIDE has been a loyal TwinVision customer since 2001. I still follow ABQ RIDE sometimes. For this reason, I am a TwinVision fan. It would be nice to see the next RPTA order to have either TwinVision Chroma multicolor signs or TwinVision Silver Smarts. RPTA will have to replace their NABI XX-LFWs soon, considering Tempe is already replacing some of theirs with their new C40LFRs and DE60LFRs. Perhaps some New Flyer Xcelsiors would be a good option for RPTA. If the Tempe division is merged into RPTA, I hope they go with TwinVision signs for all future purchases.

When I lived in the Albuquerque area, ABQ RIDE has been a loyal TwinVision customer since 2001. I still follow ABQ RIDE sometimes. For this reason, I am a TwinVision fan. It would be nice to see the next RPTA order to have either TwinVision Chroma multicolor signs or TwinVision Silver Smarts. RPTA will have to replace their NABI XX-LFWs soon, considering Tempe is already replacing some of theirs with their new C40LFRs and DE60LFRs. Perhaps some New Flyer Xcelsiors would be a good option for RPTA. If the Tempe division is merged into RPTA, I hope they go with TwinVision signs for all future purchases.

Well looking at some Twinvision products images, it's a pretty good destination option for buses.

Good to know that you follow your hometown agency! Even if you don't live in Albuquerque anymore

RPTA will have to replace their NABI XX-LFWs soon, considering Tempe is already replacing some of theirs with their new C40LFRs and DE60LFRs. Perhaps some New Flyer Xcelsiors would be a good option for RPTA.

RPTA plans to replace the Novas this year, and the replacement called for a BRT. But with Metrolink expansion being put on hold, most other replacements will probably be standard transits. Note that Tempe plans to replace the Compobuses in 2015.

RPTA will have to replace their NABI XX-LFWs soon, considering Tempe is already replacing some of theirs with their new C40LFRs and DE60LFRs. Perhaps some New Flyer Xcelsiors would be a good option for RPTA.

RPTA plans to replace the Novas this year, and the replacement called for a BRT. But with Metrolink expansion being put on hold, most other replacements will probably be standard transits. Note that Tempe plans to replace the Compobuses in 2015.

Well, the Xcelsior pretty much now is New Flyer's "official" BRT bus, since the LFA is no longer offered.

A little question: Is RPTA still operating any ElDorado EZ Riders? I know Tempe retired theirs last year, however, what about RPTA?

A little question: Is RPTA still operating any ElDorado EZ Riders? I know Tempe retired theirs last year, however, what about RPTA?

As far as I know, they had all moved to Tempe garage around the time the new facility opened. Not sure the status of 4173-4175 (only 10 years old). I'm pretty sure Phoenix still operates its small fleet.

Just for a little speculation, if the Tempe division does get merged into RPTA, perhaps we can speculate which routes will be operated from both the Tempe and Mesa facilities.

Here are my guesses:

• 30 University Drive (currently RPTA)
  • 45 Broadway (this used to be a Tempe route, but is now RPTA)
  • 61 Southern Avenue (currently RPTA)
  • 108 Elliot Road (currently Tempe)

Despite the fact that we are on day 5 of the bus strike here in Tempe, there are still quite a few buses on the road. From what I understand, Veolia is hiring drivers from other contractors to operate the buses. Here are a couple pictures from today:

DE60LFRmarch142012.jpg

D40LFRmarch142012.jpg

The C40LFR's rarely get onto the 62; there are atleast 3 of them on the route today!

I took a quick ride over to the Transit Center where there wasn't a NABI in sight. There was a C40LFR on the 48 and an L40LFR on the 65/66 (it changed over to a 66 after I took the photo):

IMAG0284.jpg

L40LFRmarch142012.jpg

Since none of the FLASH or Orbit routes are being operated by Veolia during the strike, ASU is providing the FLASH service directly through CoachAmerica. It's pretty strange to see the huge Van-Hool and Prevost coaches circulating campus all day. Except for a few trips during the peak morning and afternoon hours, there are usually only ever 2 or 3 people on them!

VanHoolFLASH.jpg

Notice the "Flash Back" paper in the windshield and on the door!

Back to the discussion of fleets, what is the status on RPTA's replacement of the Novas? I know RPTA's contract with New Flyer still goes on for one more year. I would like to see RPTA order some XDE40s.

Also, what is the status of the Phoenix RFP?

On the city of Phoenix website, its mentions that the bids are due by April 5 and delivery is scheduled by July 1.

On the city of Phoenix website, its mentions that the bids are due by April 5 and delivery is scheduled by July 1.

Looking at the City of Phoenix website, it looks like there were bids from New Flyer, NABI, Gillig, and El Dorado. New Flyer and NABI are the usual bidders for Valley Metro contracts. Gillig has been winning many contracts recently, and it seems they want Valley Metro back as a customer. Also, ElDorado is making another go at it since the last time they got screwed by the city.