ABQ RIDE

Valley Metro (Phoenix)

792 posts in this topic

Some observations from today:

- The RPTA seems to be keeping its Gilligs on the 72. I think most all of the buses from 6750-6759 were in service on that route today, as well as a handful of the "green" Tempe purchased C40LFRs. 

- The D40LFAs are running local routes out of the Mesa garage. I saw a few in service on the 40.

- With the D60LFAs reassigned elsewhere including express runs, the NABI 60BRTs appear to be predominantly local buses now. I saw several on the 61 and 45 today.

- It appears that 5199 is still the highest numbered Phoenix Gillig. Several 1999 Phoenix NABI 40LFWs are still in service. 

- The Phoenix C40LFRs and D40LFs are still split between all 3 Phoenix divisions however I'm unsure as to where the exact splits occur. 

- Bus 6641 is out of service and is undergoing some sort of repairs at Custom Gas Tanks on Washington St. Several of its rear windows are out. I'm curious if it had an engine fire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ztonyg said:

Some observations from today:

- The RPTA seems to be keeping its Gilligs on the 72. I think most all of the buses from 6750-6759 were in service on that route today, as well as a handful of the "green" Tempe purchased C40LFRs. 

- The D40LFAs are running local routes out of the Mesa garage. I saw a few in service on the 40.

- With the D60LFAs reassigned elsewhere including express runs, the NABI 60BRTs appear to be predominantly local buses now. I saw several on the 61 and 45 today.

- It appears that 5199 is still the highest numbered Phoenix Gillig. Several 1999 Phoenix NABI 40LFWs are still in service. 

- The Phoenix C40LFRs and D40LFs are still split between all 3 Phoenix divisions however I'm unsure as to where the exact splits occur. 

- Bus 6641 is out of service and is undergoing some sort of repairs at Custom Gas Tanks on Washington St. Several of its rear windows are out. I'm curious if it had an engine fire. 

The highest Phoenix Gillig I saw was 5200. No idea on 6641 though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Gilligs, I wonder when the next batch of RPTA Gilligs arrive in 2018, will the RPTA move the 2008/2009 New Flyer C40LFRs back to Mesa?  Perhaps the RPTA may want to keep all of the Gilligs in Tempe to maintain a common fleet at a single garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6641 was in that fatal accident on Southern on November 3.  But it was a head-on crash; the pictures showed no rear end damage.

Is 6759 confirmed? I only see invoices going up to 6758.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never have been in a bus engine smell before, but when I was on 8029 on the 41E, it was horrible.

Luckly, 8030 saved us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The XDE60 said:

Never have been in a bus engine smell before, but when I was on 8029 on the 41E, it was horrible.

Luckly, 8030 saved us.

I have.  The Twin Coach 38-S was a real stinker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering, though I have not yet seen bus 5201, but if I did, where do you think that bus would end up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I'm not an authority, but last thing I heard from my supervisor was next plans for Transdev Phoenix was to replace the Rapids and Artics. So a 5201 would probably end up in the East Valley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Azbusguy said:

 I'm not an authority, but last thing I heard from my supervisor was next plans for Transdev Phoenix was to replace the Rapids and Artics. So a 5201 would probably end up in the East Valley.

No, 5201 would be Phoenix Transit. There are 40 more Giligs for Phoenix due this year.   There are orders and available options for artic and Rapid replacements that will take place over the next two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2016 at 9:04 PM, Azbusguy said:

 I'm not an authority, but last thing I heard from my supervisor was next plans for Transdev Phoenix was to replace the Rapids and Artics. So a 5201 would probably end up in the East Valley.

Channel 15 news this AM said you have 3 new artics, with 25 more coming on short order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, I can confirm that the 535 now also operates from both the Mesa and Tempe garages, since I recently saw a dedicated express C40LFR operating the route, which are based at Tempe.  I presume this leaves the 514 to be the only express route that operates exclusively from the Mesa garage (which ironically was a Tempe route prior to unification).  Initially 533 and 535 were Mesa-only due to them being artic-heavy routes, but now have a few Tempe runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ABQ RIDE said:

FYI, I can confirm that the 535 now also operates from both the Mesa and Tempe garages, since I recently saw a dedicated express C40LFR operating the route, which are based at Tempe.  I presume this leaves the 514 to be the only express route that operates exclusively from the Mesa garage (which ironically was a Tempe route prior to unification).  Initially 533 and 535 were Mesa-only due to them being artic-heavy routes, but now have a few Tempe runs.

Actually, both yards have dedicated express buses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Flyer59 said:

Actually, both yards have dedicated express buses.

Really?  I presumed that 6714-6733 were exclusively based at Tempe.  I know this was the case initially when unification first started, unless some of these buses have been moved back to Mesa since then.

If any of those buses are back at Mesa, are there any Tempe runs on the 535?  What about the 533?  I know 520, 521, and 541 are entirely out of Tempe.  I think the 531 and 542 are mostly out of Tempe except for one or two trips out of Mesa on each route, and I do believe that the Mesa trips on these routes are almost always an artic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ABQ RIDE said:

Really?  I presumed that 6714-6733 were exclusively based at Tempe.  I know this was the case initially when unification first started, unless some of these buses have been moved back to Mesa since then.

 

I you look at the Google Maps aerial (however old that is), 6714-6717 are parked at Mesa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 6, 2017 at 11:04 AM, ABQ RIDE said:

Really?  I presumed that 6714-6733 were exclusively based at Tempe.  I know this was the case initially when unification first started, unless some of these buses have been moved back to Mesa since then.

If any of those buses are back at Mesa, are there any Tempe runs on the 535?  What about the 533?  I know 520, 521, and 541 are entirely out of Tempe.  I think the 531 and 542 are mostly out of Tempe except for one or two trips out of Mesa on each route, and I do believe that the Mesa trips on these routes are almost always an artic.

6714 - 6719 are in Mesa.

The 533 and 535 are both exclusively out of Mesa, but they have been shared in the past. Some express routes are "interlined" with local routes, also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now