ABQ RIDE

Valley Metro (Phoenix)

823 posts in this topic

Some observations from today:

- The RPTA seems to be keeping its Gilligs on the 72. I think most all of the buses from 6750-6759 were in service on that route today, as well as a handful of the "green" Tempe purchased C40LFRs. 

- The D40LFAs are running local routes out of the Mesa garage. I saw a few in service on the 40.

- With the D60LFAs reassigned elsewhere including express runs, the NABI 60BRTs appear to be predominantly local buses now. I saw several on the 61 and 45 today.

- It appears that 5199 is still the highest numbered Phoenix Gillig. Several 1999 Phoenix NABI 40LFWs are still in service. 

- The Phoenix C40LFRs and D40LFs are still split between all 3 Phoenix divisions however I'm unsure as to where the exact splits occur. 

- Bus 6641 is out of service and is undergoing some sort of repairs at Custom Gas Tanks on Washington St. Several of its rear windows are out. I'm curious if it had an engine fire. 

1 minute ago, Ztonyg said:

Some observations from today:

- The RPTA seems to be keeping its Gilligs on the 72. I think most all of the buses from 6750-6759 were in service on that route today, as well as a handful of the "green" Tempe purchased C40LFRs. 

- The D40LFAs are running local routes out of the Mesa garage. I saw a few in service on the 40.

- With the D60LFAs reassigned elsewhere including express runs, the NABI 60BRTs appear to be predominantly local buses now. I saw several on the 61 and 45 today.

- It appears that 5199 is still the highest numbered Phoenix Gillig. Several 1999 Phoenix NABI 40LFWs are still in service. 

- The Phoenix C40LFRs and D40LFs are still split between all 3 Phoenix divisions however I'm unsure as to where the exact splits occur. 

- Bus 6641 is out of service and is undergoing some sort of repairs at Custom Gas Tanks on Washington St. Several of its rear windows are out. I'm curious if it had an engine fire. 

The highest Phoenix Gillig I saw was 5200. No idea on 6641 though.

Speaking of Gilligs, I wonder when the next batch of RPTA Gilligs arrive in 2018, will the RPTA move the 2008/2009 New Flyer C40LFRs back to Mesa?  Perhaps the RPTA may want to keep all of the Gilligs in Tempe to maintain a common fleet at a single garage.

6641 was in that fatal accident on Southern on November 3.  But it was a head-on crash; the pictures showed no rear end damage.

Is 6759 confirmed? I only see invoices going up to 6758.

Never have been in a bus engine smell before, but when I was on 8029 on the 41E, it was horrible.

Luckly, 8030 saved us.

20 hours ago, The XDE60 said:

Never have been in a bus engine smell before, but when I was on 8029 on the 41E, it was horrible.

Luckly, 8030 saved us.

I have.  The Twin Coach 38-S was a real stinker.

Just wondering, though I have not yet seen bus 5201, but if I did, where do you think that bus would end up?

I'm not an authority, but last thing I heard from my supervisor was next plans for Transdev Phoenix was to replace the Rapids and Artics. So a 5201 would probably end up in the East Valley.

19 hours ago, Azbusguy said:

I'm not an authority, but last thing I heard from my supervisor was next plans for Transdev Phoenix was to replace the Rapids and Artics. So a 5201 would probably end up in the East Valley.

No, 5201 would be Phoenix Transit. There are 40 more Giligs for Phoenix due this year.   There are orders and available options for artic and Rapid replacements that will take place over the next two years.

On 12/26/2016 at 9:04 PM, Azbusguy said:

Channel 15 news this AM said you have 3 new artics, with 25 more coming on short order.

FYI, I can confirm that the 535 now also operates from both the Mesa and Tempe garages, since I recently saw a dedicated express C40LFR operating the route, which are based at Tempe.  I presume this leaves the 514 to be the only express route that operates exclusively from the Mesa garage (which ironically was a Tempe route prior to unification).  Initially 533 and 535 were Mesa-only due to them being artic-heavy routes, but now have a few Tempe runs.

13 hours ago, ABQ RIDE said:

FYI, I can confirm that the 535 now also operates from both the Mesa and Tempe garages, since I recently saw a dedicated express C40LFR operating the route, which are based at Tempe.  I presume this leaves the 514 to be the only express route that operates exclusively from the Mesa garage (which ironically was a Tempe route prior to unification).  Initially 533 and 535 were Mesa-only due to them being artic-heavy routes, but now have a few Tempe runs.

Actually, both yards have dedicated express buses.

7 hours ago, Flyer59 said:

Actually, both yards have dedicated express buses.

Really?  I presumed that 6714-6733 were exclusively based at Tempe.  I know this was the case initially when unification first started, unless some of these buses have been moved back to Mesa since then.

If any of those buses are back at Mesa, are there any Tempe runs on the 535?  What about the 533?  I know 520, 521, and 541 are entirely out of Tempe.  I think the 531 and 542 are mostly out of Tempe except for one or two trips out of Mesa on each route, and I do believe that the Mesa trips on these routes are almost always an artic.

5 hours ago, ABQ RIDE said:

Really?  I presumed that 6714-6733 were exclusively based at Tempe.  I know this was the case initially when unification first started, unless some of these buses have been moved back to Mesa since then.

I you look at the Google Maps aerial (however old that is), 6714-6717 are parked at Mesa.

On January 6, 2017 at 11:04 AM, ABQ RIDE said:

If any of those buses are back at Mesa, are there any Tempe runs on the 535?  What about the 533?  I know 520, 521, and 541 are entirely out of Tempe.  I think the 531 and 542 are mostly out of Tempe except for one or two trips out of Mesa on each route, and I do believe that the Mesa trips on these routes are almost always an artic.

6714 - 6719 are in Mesa.

The 533 and 535 are both exclusively out of Mesa, but they have been shared in the past. Some express routes are "interlined" with local routes, also.

On my Future Valley Metro Wikia at http://future.wikia.com/wiki/Valley_Metro_(by_Gamer8500)

I added my Rail Announcers using the 1990's English dubbers:

• Usagi Tsukino =  Terri Hawkes
  • Ami Mizunio =  Karen Bernstein
  • Rei Hino =  Katie Griffin
  • Makoto Kino =  Susan Roman
  • Minako Aino =  Stephanie Morgenstern
  • Luna =  Jill Frappier
  • Artemis =  Ron Rubin
  • Chibiusa =  Tracey Hoyt

I also added a Trivia section at the very bottom:

• Even though the destination signs read the Japanese names, next train announcements will use the 1990's English dubbed names for English versions.
  • Next train announcements will be spoken in English first, followed by a Japanese version.

Does anyone have exact numbers of how many Gilligs and New Flyer artics will be delivered in 2017?

5 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

Does anyone have exact numbers of how many Gilligs and New Flyer artics will be delivered in 2017?

One of the problems is that Phoenix Transit and Valley Metro work in fiscal years, which change over on July 1.  Both refer to their purchases in the respective fiscal years rather than calendar years.

Having said that, I think the EZ Riders are close. Scottsdale will only take 4 of the 8 Gilligs this spring. Valley Metro has postponed some planned 2017 orders, but it plans to take delivery of the pilot bus for the Tempe Compobus replacement order before July 1.

Metro Magazine reported yesterday that RPTA is ordering 10 XN60s has optioned 11 more.  It wasn't clear if this was part of the previous contract, but the latest RFP closed three weeks ago, so it doesn't seem that there would be enough time to evaluate proposals. 

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, 3we said:

Metro Magazine reported yesterday that RPTA is ordering 10 XN60s has optioned 11 more.  It wasn't clear if this was part of the previous contract, but the latest RFP closed three weeks ago, so it doesn't seem that there would be enough time to evaluate proposals. 

I presume these are for the NABI 60-BRT replacement, and the previous RFP did state that 10 artics were expected in FY 2018 for the RPTA, so I think this was part of the previous contract.  The 11 options may be for service expansion or to upgauge capacity on some routes.

I wonder which manufacturers bid for the most recent RFP.  I expect New Flyer, Gillig, and ElDorado probably did, but what about Nova Bus who was totally absent from the previous RFP?

22 minutes ago, ABQ RIDE said:

I presume these are for the NABI 60-BRT replacement, and the previous RFP did state that 10 artics were expected in FY 2018 for the RPTA, so I think this was part of the previous contract.  The 11 options may be for service expansion or to upgauge capacity on some routes.

I agree - I think the Tempe Compobus replacements are already in the pipeline, and that would be only 8 replacements. Seems tough that the 60-BRTs are only going to make it to 12 years.