Valley Metro (Phoenix)

ABQ RIDE

17 minutes ago, Thomasw said:

Can someone tell me why in the hell it would be up there?????????

Probably for repair work, maybe a rebuild.

Why are you so surprised? You've previously commented on a bus from US agencies at Big Rig for repairs... 

3 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Probably for repair work, maybe a rebuild.

Why are you so surprised? You've previously commented on a bus from US agencies at Big Rig for repairs... 

Interesting they would send it all the way up to Canada. 

That's someone else. Notice how he is Thomasw97 whereas I am just Thomasw

On 6/7/2020 at 6:30 PM, Nick B said:

#6752 at Big Rig Collision in Calgary, AB today.

D1F0A0B1-60C2-4F19-B1F6-30D7DC5B0F97.jpeg

There was something off about the photo...and the sticker on the route sign drew my attention. There are no decals (for Valley Metro, valleymetro.org, 602.253.5000) on the engine cover. Maybe the rear end was repaired.

On 6/8/2020 at 1:14 AM, Thomasw said:

Interesting they would send it all the way up to Canada.

Lowest bid to repair maybe?? I agree though, makes very little sense. There are plenty of firms in the US who would be very capable of doing even an extensive collision repair.

However, if there is some sort of new repair method/part/material being used on it and it's being shown around as a in-the-field example, that would be very plausible.

• Like 1

I know the wikipedia.com fleet roster was killed by wikipedia (don't know why as other agencies can still have theirs) and the CPTDB wiki hasn't been updated in a while. As far as the new buses are concerned using transsee.ca and personal observations I have noticed the following.

Phoenix's Gillig CNGs are fleet numbers 5121-5274 (for a total of 154 buses).

Phoenix's Gillig Diesels are fleet numbers 5601-5643 (for a total of 43 buses)

Phoenix's New Flyer XD60s are fleet numbers 8082 - 8127 (for a total of 46 buses).

I assume that the Gillig total will eventially be (or is already) 200 buses so has anyone seen any CNG higher than 5274 or Diesel higher than 5643? I'd assume 5275 and 5644 and 5645 may exist?

I also assume that there will eventually be (or is already) 50 XD60s so 8128, 8129, 8130, and 8131 either exist or are currently in the delivery process.

As far as the RPTA is concerned it seems that the XN40s go from vehicle numbers 6811 - 6853. Has anyone seen any higher numbered XN40s in service?

Any notes or further observations would be appreciated. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

In the last 12 months, Phoenix took delivery of 20 Gilligs (so there should be a 5644) and 6 XD60s. That should be it for Gillig.

When the contract was issued to New Flyer, the schedule called for 6 XN40s in the first two years and 14 XD60s in year 3 (which is what we're in now). I don't know if it swapped out the XN40s for XD60s in year 1&2. Under the previous contract, all of the RAPID replacement buses were converted options. Last fall, it requested FTA funds for 13 articulated and 16 "standard" buses; I presume these would be for options, but I don't know if these would be city or RAPID buses.

The original RPTA plan was to have everything up through 6668 replaced by next July. I don't know what the plan will be for the D40LFRs; they were supposed to be replaced with XD40s, but the MCIs are going to get in the way of that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 5:48 PM, 3we said:

There was something off about the photo...and the sticker on the route sign drew my attention. There are no decals (for Valley Metro, valleymetro.org, 602.253.5000) on the engine cover. Maybe the rear end was repaired.

Saw 6752 on Dobson Road this AM. Still no rear decals. Also noted that 6782 also has no rear decals.

On 7/4/2020 at 6:49 PM, 3we said:

In the last 12 months, Phoenix took delivery of 20 Gilligs (so there should be a 5644) and 6 XD60s. That should be it for Gillig.

When the contract was issued to New Flyer, the schedule called for 6 XN40s in the first two years and 14 XD60s in year 3 (which is what we're in now). I don't know if it swapped out the XN40s for XD60s in year 1&2. Under the previous contract, all of the RAPID replacement buses were converted options. Last fall, it requested FTA funds for 13 articulated and 16 "standard" buses; I presume these would be for options, but I don't know if these would be city or RAPID buses.

The original RPTA plan was to have everything up through 6668 replaced by next July. I don't know what the plan will be for the D40LFRs; they were supposed to be replaced with XD40s, but the MCIs are going to get in the way of that.

It does appear there is a 5644 as transsee had the following:

1: Vehicle 5644 on route 90-Dunlap Ave/Cave Creek Rd going ←67th Avenue aprchg 43rd Av on Olive Av Last seen 18:20:16

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 10:14 AM, 3we said:

I noticed that the Aviation Department ordered 6 Cobus 3000s in April 2019. Delivery should be imminent, if not already.

I believe these will be used for the bus gates that they intend to set up on the site of the old Terminal 2. 

10 hours ago, NovabusRTSwfd said:

Spotted bus 5645. Looked like a new flyer XD40 on 29 Thomas rd/75th Avenue just past midnight.

Yes. There was a delivery of a New Flyer vehicle early in the month. Judging by the amount of the payment, it could only be an XD40.

• 2 weeks later...