Valley Metro (Phoenix)

ABQ RIDE

9 hours ago, MVTArider said:

Are these equipped with some sort of turbo super-duty HVAC or an advanced EMP? That mini pod on the roof has me curious.

Auxiliary AC condenser.  Some of the New Flyers were retrofitted, but not in a pod.

• Thanks 1

I'm wondering if there are more RAPIDs than we know about. In a New Flyer press release from September 2017, it said that Phoenix converted 30 options (16 XN40 + 14 XN60). That would cover 7313-7328 and 7186-7199. Not that I ever see RAPID, but those should have been here by the end of 2018.

Valley Metro 6812: New Flyer XN40 or XN60 Articulated CNG Xcelsior was featured in this past Thursday's The Tribune Sports Session newspaper featuring the Bahamian NBA Phoenix Suns Player DeAndre Ayton donating some of the supplies to Fry's Grocery store in Phoenix for those who were affected by Hurricane Dorian in Grand Bahama and Abaco, Bahamas. 

IMG_20190914_234622_119.jpg

IMG_20190914_234618_501.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, The XDE60 said:

I really don't know why, but while on 4502, it felt like the trolley was leased to Scottsdale from Cincinnati with their welcome plaque. Also says 6002 above the windshield inside.

(found on Mustang North)

When these vehicles were delivered, they were numbered in the 6000 series (6001-6008 I believe, with 6001-6004 as trolley replicas and 6005-6008 as regular 30’ Gilligs), despite the fact that Phoenix was still running NABIs in the same numerical series. A short time after entering service, they were renumbered into the 4500 series which seems to be unique to the trolleys.

I can’t remember if the first 35’ gilligs, which arrived a short while later, were delivered in the 4500 series.

The RPTA and the City of Tempe will be replacing all Starcraft cutaways on the Orbit with new 29-32' low floor buses. The RFP is up. Looking at the sign-in sheet, I see Gillig, Schetky Bus and Van Sales (which I think is representing ElDorado National), and Creative Bus Sales (which I think is representing ARBOC even though they also sell ElDorado).

So it looks like they are taking deliveries of XN40s instead of XD40s, and they are replacing the 2008 C40LFRs since it looks like these are over at Tempe.  I think the 2007 D40LFRs over at Glendale will be replaced by the new MCI D45 CRT LE coaches, but what will replace the D40LFRs at Mesa which are used almost exclusively on local routes?  I know they don't really have to be replaced by diesel buses at Mesa since Mesa has full CNG fueling capability.

I think the current group of XN40s are "expansion buses".  Even if the 20 MCI options are exercised, there won't be enough of these to operate all of the express routes. The commuter coaches are intended to operate on freeway routes, and to bump articulated buses from express routes to local routes. I think that Total Transit will operate a mix of MCIs and XD40s.  The group of buses for which I have never seen a replacement schedule for is 7001-7009. I see these on Ray Rd. frequently.

13 hours ago, 3we said:

I think the current group of XN40s are "expansion buses".  Even if the 20 MCI options are exercised, there won't be enough of these to operate all of the express routes. The commuter coaches are intended to operate on freeway routes, and to bump articulated buses from express routes to local routes. I think that Total Transit will operate a mix of MCIs and XD40s.  The group of buses for which I have never seen a replacement schedule for is 7001-7009. I see these on Ray Rd. frequently.

I thought the previous group were the expansion buses. I think the original plan was to take XD40s this year to replace the 2007 D40LFs.

As for the express routes, there are still the 2012 silver RPTA C40LFRs which as far as I know do not have a replacement schedule. Since these are in a full suburban layout, they are unsuitable for local routes.