Valley Metro (Phoenix)

ABQ RIDE

10 hours ago, The XDE60 said:

So, what's the new status on the NABI 40-LFW buses?

I saw 6233 on 12S on the beginning of last month.

From my observations:

All 1998 NABI 40-LFWs are retired.

Many 1999 NABI-40LFWs are still in service and can be found primarily on North division routes. If I had to guess probably about 20 or so still in service. They're very common on the 90, 106, 122,138, 154 but I've also seen them on the 0, 7, 8, 19, and you've stated also the 12. I'm not sure the breakdown between North / South division and if they've all been consolidated to the North division or not. 

There are about 40 - 50 2001/2002 NABI 40-LFWs in service. A handful are based at the North division with the remainder at the South division. 

Between the new artics (which aren't supposed to replace the 2004 D40LFs and will likely replace 40' NABIs) and the upcoming 40 additional Gilligs (5201-5040) I'd venture to say that by next year at this time the 40-LFW will likely be history in Phoenix.

19 hours ago, The XDE60 said:

So, what's the new status on the NABI 40-LFW buses?

I saw 6233 on 12S on the beginning of last month.

They only auctioned a few buses last month: 6022 6104 6135.

From my scratch sheet, I have not seen the following buses cross the auction block: 6012, 6016, 6031, 6036, 6039, 6041, 6070, 6122, 6125, 6128, 6136, 6137, 6139, 6142/3/4/5/7/8. Doesn't mean that they are in service, they just haven't been sent to auction.  Of the 1999 group, 19 have not been auctioned, and of the 2001 group, 61 remain.

3 hours ago, ABQ RIDE said:

I saw one of the former LINK D60LFAs on the 61 today.  It was still in the purple color scheme, but with the "LINK" titles removed.

I figured they'd go into local service. Especially as the purple color scheme is already in local service on the Gilligs.

I'm curious where the D40LFAs will end up. 

11 hours ago, ABQ RIDE said:

Looks like the ex-LINK D60LFAs are also operating express routes, since I saw one today on the 533 which is otherwise normally operated with a NABI 60-BRT on most of its runs.

How do you know it was an ex LINK coach?

A number of these units had LINK decals removed years ago and operated Express routes from Tempe. Need a fleet number to know what we're dealing with.

Anybody know what the plans are for the Transdev south fleet? I was talking to my supervisor yesterday, and he said after the first of the year, the artics are gonna be replaced due to having too many problems with the current fleet, and the Rapids are gonna be replaced with articulated Rapids. I got to fuel 7158 yesterday, and it is nice inside. It's also CNG, which surprised me. I was under the impression that the artics were diesel because natural gas engines weren't powerful enough to push the extra weight.

3 hours ago, northwesterner said:

A number of these units had LINK decals removed years ago and operated Express routes from Tempe. Need a fleet number to know what we're dealing with.

It still had the purple front, except with the LINK decals removed.  The ones that operate express routes from Tempe had their fronts repainted silver a long time ago.

BTW the 533 is mostly out of Mesa and is normally operated using NABI 60-BRTs; and I think the few Tempe runs normally use the dedicated express C40LFRs.

12 hours ago, northwesterner said:

All of the D60LFAs were delivered as LINK. As noted above, a few buses were repainted in (what I call 6667) colors a few years ago.

1 hour ago, 3we said:

All of the D60LFAs were delivered as LINK. As noted above, a few buses were repainted in (what I call 6667) colors a few years ago.

Yep.  The one I saw on the 533 yesterday still had the purple front.

BTW, I saw one of the ex-LINK D40LFAs today on the 156.

My guess is that the ex-LINK buses won't be dedicated to neither local nor express routes.  I expect the D40LFAs will mostly operate local routes, while the D60LFAs will be shifted around between local and express like the NABI 60-BRTs are.

3 hours ago, ABQ RIDE said:

Yep.  The one I saw on the 533 yesterday still had the purple front.

BTW, I saw one of the ex-LINK D40LFAs today on the 156.

My guess is that the ex-LINK buses won't be dedicated to neither local nor express routes.  I expect the D40LFAs will mostly operate local routes, while the D60LFAs will be shifted around between local and express like the NABI 60-BRTs are.

If you figure that all 20 "Valley Metro Express" C40LFRs and all 8 Tempe 45C-LFWs are used exclusively on Express, that leaves you with 6 more buses needed to cover Express. Pretty much a coin toss, depending on what you want to use the BRT-60s for. They were originally acquired to get those MV Phantoms off Express.

20 minutes ago, 3we said:

If you figure that all 20 "Valley Metro Express" C40LFRs and all 8 Tempe 45C-LFWs are used exclusively on Express, that leaves you with 6 more buses needed to cover Express. Pretty much a coin toss, depending on what you want to use the BRT-60s for. They were originally acquired to get those MV Phantoms off Express.

The 45CLFW at Tempe are retired

Most Express runs out of Mesa are on artics, while most out of Tempe are on 40-foot buses with some runs on the silver D60LFAs.  As far as I know the 514, 520, 521, 522, and 541 are entirely out of Tempe, and the 531 and 542 only have one or two trips out of Mesa with the rest out of Tempe.  Only the 533 and 535 are predominantly out of Mesa (the latter not having any runs out of Tempe as far as I know).

24 minutes ago, ABQ RIDE said:

Most Express runs out of Mesa are on artics, while most out of Tempe are on 40-foot buses with some runs on the silver D60LFAs.  As far as I know the 514, 520, 521, 522, and 541 are entirely out of Tempe, and the 531 and 542 only have one or two trips out of Mesa with the rest out of Tempe.  Only the 533 and 535 are predominantly out of Mesa (the latter not having any runs out of Tempe as far as I know).

There was a D40LFA on the 514 this morning, this route comes from Mesa

19 minutes ago, Flyer59 said:

There was a D40LFA on the 514 this morning, this route comes from Mesa

Are they all out of Mesa, or is it like the 531 and 542 where only a few trips are out of Mesa?  I know this was a Tempe route prior to unification, and when they first unified this route remained entirely out of Tempe.  Perhaps this may have changed since then.  The 533 remained entirely out of Mesa at first after unification due to being an artic-heavy route, but now has one or two trips out of Tempe.  Interesting that they would have a run on the 514 out of Mesa; it doesn't seem like it would make geographic sense considering the entire route is closer to the Tempe yard. 

Could the D40LFAs now be at Tempe?  As stated I saw one on the 156 this morning and the 156 is a split route.

2 minutes ago, ABQ RIDE said:

Are they all out of Mesa, or is it like the 531 and 542 where only a few trips are out of Mesa?  I know this was a Tempe route prior to unification, and when they first unified this route remained entirely out of Tempe.  Perhaps this may have changed since then.  The 533 remained entirely out of Mesa at first after unification due to being an artic-heavy route, but now has one or two trips out of Tempe.  Interesting that they would have a run on the 514 out of Mesa; it doesn't seem like it would make geographic sense considering the entire route is closer to the Tempe yard. 

Could the D40LFAs now be at Tempe?  As stated I saw one on the 156 this morning and the 156 is a split route.

It is entirely from Mesa now. They use the 87/Beeline Hwy to deadhead to Fountain Hills.

D40LFA remain in Mesa 

A couple weeks ago, I made artwork of a potential 2019 bus order for Valley Metro in my POV.

http://jakebasketball17.deviantart.com/art/Ami-and-Yumi-Announce-104-Buses-in-2019-641032922

You would see:

• Blue destination signs from Luminator
  • 4ONE Aries seating
  • A paint scheme similar to DC, but with purple and green instead of red and blue, respectively
  • City of Phoenix emblem
  • Valley Metro logo moved up slightly

1 hour ago, The XDE60 said:

A couple weeks ago, I made artwork of a potential 2019 bus order for Valley Metro in my POV.

http://jakebasketball17.deviantart.com/art/Ami-and-Yumi-Announce-104-Buses-in-2019-641032922

You would see:

• Blue destination signs from Luminator
  • 4ONE Aries seating
  • A paint scheme similar to DC, but with purple and green instead of red and blue, respectively
  • City of Phoenix emblem
  • Valley Metro logo moved up slightly

As far as I know, Luminator does not make blue-only destination signs.  They would have to be Luminator Spectrum signs that are programmed to always display in blue, which would be a waste of multicolor signs and money.

And why Aries seating and not Gemini?  The Gemini is supposed to be the new and improved model.

And I don't see Phoenix buying hybrids.  The most recent RFP doesn't include any hybrids.

• 3 weeks later...